Ron Dennis attacks the Bugatti Veyron (and Top Gear credibility)

Dennis knows (as well as anybody) that on a long, straight bit of road, the Veyron would obliterate the F1; so why is he talking all this shit? The F1 got off to a better start in Abu Dhabi because the weather was too hot for the turbos to function properly, apparently, but it didn't matter, because the Veyron still won in the end.

Last edited:
... actually the "had to be rigged" is not one of his quotes, if you read carefully and watch out for the "". He only said that they had to start 10 times because the veyron messed up it?s start. He doesn?t say anything about the veyron not beating the F1 or the film to be manipulated in that way. But that it took 10 starts to propperly get the veyron going so that it would do as it should ...
The way I understand him, the Veyron did actually lose the race a couple of times.

Ron Dennis said:
?I know that they have to cut the car open to take the engine out. To make an engine in that configuration, you know, it doesn?t go around corners. When we did the race in Abu Dhabi, we beat it off the line so many times that the film crew was getting frustrated because the outcome was supposed to be for the Bugatti to win.

?So we had to do that whole thing about ten times before it managed to get off the line cleanly and catch us up. Because every time they dropped the clutch it bogged down and we were gone.?

Ron Dennis is an idiot. And the Veyron would have no problem walking away from an F1.

I fully believe the Dubai race. Under... I'd say 120-130 the F1 would be faster because its power-to-weight ratio is better. It might even be faster up to 160mph because of the aerodynamics. Either way, above 200 the Veyron will be faster simply because it has more power, which is what ultimately determines top speed (along with aero, but weight is irrelevant). Around a track I bet the F1 would walk the Veyron with ease - lighter, better power-to-weight, built not only to go fast in a straight line but also to go around corners quickly.

The way I understand him, the Veyron did actually lose the race a couple of times.
I think he was referring to the "off the line part" only there ... that?s the way I read it. But there is room for interpretation, I will agree ...

and on second thought:
The veyron has a flappy paddel gearbox (DKG) ... there is no clutch for anyone to "drop" ... does he even know what Car he?s talking about?

So he's either defending the McLaren by lying to us or knows nothing about the Veyron. Either way, that makes me lose a fair bit of respect for him.

Last edited:
[...]Around a track I bet the F1 would walk the Veyron with ease - lighter, better power-to-weight, built not only to go fast in a straight line but also to go around corners quickly.
I think, nobody will argue on that ...

But then ... the veyron was never build for such a thing. It was build for 250+ mph, 1000hp and maximum luxury. The ultimate "my penis is too small, but wait till you hear what my car can do, It will make you forget my tiny penis"- car ... not a tool for (motor)sport. To translate this into porsche (wich I will consider a language from now on because it provides awsome visual references) ... the F1 is a GT3 RS, the ultimate tracktool ... the Veyron is a 911turbo ... cabriolet.

Last edited:
The Veyron is actually pretty nimble. It would depend on the track. Somewhere like the Daytona Road Course the Veyron would probably keep pretty good pace if not beat the Mclaren. At places like the Nurburgring the F1 would almost defiantly win.

The Veyron is actually pretty nimble. It would depend on the track. Somewhere like the Daytona Road Course the Veyron would probably keep pretty good pace if not beat the Mclaren. At places like the Nurburgring the F1 would almost defiantly win.

If you want to bring Nurburgring lap times into this, the F1 was 5-10 seconds slower than the Veyron.

I think, nobody will argue on that ...

But then ... the veyron was never build for such a thing. It was build for 250+ mph, 1000hp and maximum luxury. The ultimate "my penis is too small, but wait till you hear what my car can do, It will make you forget my tiny penis"- car ... not a tool for (motor)sport. To translate this into porsche (wich I will consider a language from now on because it provides awsome visual references) ... the F1 is a GT3 RS, the ultimate tracktool ... the Veyron is a 911turbo ... cabriolet.
That's true. I, personally, simply respect track performance more than top speed.

If you want to bring Nurburgring lap times into this, the F1 was 5-10 seconds slower than the Veyron.
The ring has a VERY long straightaway and multiple places to get up to serious, serious speed.

Has the F1 ever actually officially gone around in the hands of a pro? I know an experimental pre-production model did with Mika Hakkinen. Something like 7 minutes 11 seconds.

Last edited:
The ring has a VERY long straightaway and multiple places to get up to serious, serious speed.

Which is why I said:

"If you want to bring Nurburgring lap times into this..."

It's all just bench racing anyway. No one is going to buy either of these cars based on their lap times on any track.

Has it ever actually officially gone around in the hands of a pro? I know an experimental pre-production model did with Mika Hakkinen. Something like 7 minutes 11 seconds.

That 7:11 can't be right unless it was a race car. It did a ~7:45 or 7:50 back when it was new based on some video footage.

Last edited:
Which is why I said:

"If you want to bring Nurburgring lap times into this..."

It's all just bench racing anyway. No one is going to buy either of these cars based on their lap times on any track.

That 7:11 can't be right unless it was a race car. It did a ~7:45 or 7:50 back when it was new based on some video footage.

I believe it was the prototype for the F1 LM. Basically a standard F1 with prototype LM bits. Unless we know who drove the F1 lap it doesn't mean much. But like you said, it's just bench racing. And benching the two cars is kinda dumb. Two totally different approaches at building a car.

Last edited:
I fully believe the Dubai race. Under... I'd say 120-130 the F1 would be faster because its power-to-weight ratio is better.

Some performance nr, courtesy of wiki:

Veyron:
0?100 km/h (0.0?62.1 mph) 2.5 sec
0?160 km/h (0.0?99.4 mph) 5.5 seconds
Standing quarter-mile 10.2 seconds at 230 km/h (142.9 mph)

F1:
0?60 mph (97 km/h): 3.2 s
0?100 mph (160 km/h): 6.3 s
Standing quarter-mile 11.1 seconds at 138 mph (222 km/h)

Nowhere is the F1 faster than the Veyron.. I also noted that the F1 could not do very high g-forces while cornering...

Last edited:
Isn't that what I said? What I meant was that the raw figures suggest that the Veyron should have won the race clearly from the start. In what we saw on Top Gear, it "only" managed to pull ahead during the race. Now, Ron Dennis says that it didn't actually out-accelerate the McLaren. But it should have. The question is: why didn't it?

Ahh I see what you are saying now. My bad. I agree. Off the line the Veyron should have gotten ahead, with the F1 pulling ahead once the roll is done, with the Veyron pulling away shortly thereafter. I imagine the start was flubbed by Hammond. I would have dumped the clutch on a AWD car, but its a Veyron. The owner was probably present in some form, where as the Stig (whoever he/she was) was clearly familiar with launching a high-power RWD car.

^ exactly.

Let's not forget the human factor. Hammond is far from the best driver (do we have to count all of his accidents and spin-outs?)

A good way to get attention is to pick a fight with the biggest kid in the playground.

Come on, it's top gear. They knew that the f1 would be slapped silly, so they made it lose with dignity because it's brittish.
Clarkson has always hated the F1 and always loved the Veyron.

The F1 got off to a better start in Abu Dhabi because the weather was too hot for the turbos to function properly, apparently, but it didn't matter, because the Veyron still won in the end.
Why won't turbos work in a hot weather?
Why won't the heat affect the performance of a naturally aspirated engine?

It had Hammond at the wheel ... he prob messed up :)

and on second thought:
The veyron has a flappy paddel gearbox (DKG) ... there is no clutch for anyone to "drop" ... does he even know what Car he?s talking about?
So you're saing that Hammond messed up the start with a DSG transmission which does basically everything for you?
DSG has two clutches. Maybe the software just messed up the start? The Veyron's DSG isn't the same unit VAG is using in their mainstream cars (not even from the same manufacturer). They put much more money developing their consumer products than a limited production supercar and even the consumer DSG softwares can be utter shit when they come out. My dad had a Q5 with an s-tronic transmission (Audi branded DSG) and it was just horrible.
Wouldn't be surprised if the Veyron's DSG could bog down in a start.

It's hard to think that someone would buy a flash car because he has a small penis.
I usually see women driving small cars. So according to you they all have huge penises?
I think I'm right in saying that a real car enthusiast would buy a nice car if he had the money to do so. So basically every car enthusiast should have a small penis?
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but are you saying that everyone on this forum has a small penis?
Or will it get smaller when you get the nice car?
Didn't notice any difference in the length when I get the Viper. Well, it will be for sale in a week or two. Have to get back on this when it's sold. If I'll get a nicer replacement will depend on this. Not sure though where I'll hide my new toy whatever it'll be. My current toys are taking all the space I have.

F1 wasn't developed as an ultimate tracktool. It was developed to be a roadcar. It's said to be quiet and comfortable and it has a fairly soft suspension too. It's nowhere near a HC track tool. Maybe you are mixing it with the F1 LM.

Yep, the McLaren is actually pretty fast on track compared to it's modern rivals:
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/car...gt_v_ford_gt_v_ferrari_enzo_v_mclaren_f1.html