The FOOTball thread

Why didn't I put money on my prediction of Liverpool winning the Europa? I would have got good odds on that at the start of the season.

Because they have to go through Fulham and the awesome power that is Clint Dempsey (TEAM AMERICA WORLD POLICE!)

Ah, I'm not having a go at anyone on the board, it's just when you're reading articles, you have a bunch of people on their keyboards ripping Lucas a new one. I agree that he's used too defensively 90% of the times (but after Rafa's latest words, I'm hoping that he opens both himself, and the team up, a little bit), but most of these people just call him overly cautious and a bumbling fool. His positioning for the Benfica corner was great, and that save kept the momentum on our side to a degree. Clutch at both ends!

I think Benfica played well, but honestly, I see the Athletico tie a very very difficult one. In a way, I am happy that we aren't facing Valencia, because I like them.

Hamburg v Fulham is going to be interesting, though. Both Europa semis are actually pretty interesting and tough ties.

The UCL is shaped up pretty nicely too, both ties are two opposite type of teams facing each other. Structured Bayern vs Free flowing Lyon, and Attacking-possession Barca vs Pressure soaking, counterattacking Inter.

I think Benfica played well, but honestly, I see the Athletico tie a very very difficult one. In a way, I am happy that we aren't facing Valencia, because I like them.
Atl?tico has two world class attackers in Forl?n and Ag?ero but their defense is terrible, though. Their "kid" Torres is probably going to rip them a new one.

Last edited:
BBC Sport - Football Gossip News

Well, this is quite interesting, I have never really looked in this part of the BBC Sport website before. Some good bits and pieces or speculation in there. :)

BBC Sport ? Football Gossip said:
BREAKING GOSSIP
1510 BST: Atletico Madrid schemer Sergio Aguero, who has been linked with Manchester United and Chelsea, has declared himself interested in a move to Inter Milan.
Full story: ESPN Soccernet

1420 BST: AC Milan forward Alexandre Pato will not be tempted away from the San Siro by Chelsea or Real Madrid, according to vice-president Adriano Galliani. (Press Association)

1105 BST: Manchester City have denied making a ?40m bid to Sporting Lisbon for midfielder Miguel Veloso and defender Daniel Carrico.
Full story: Manchester Evening News

1056 BST: Barcelona could turn to Aston Villa winger Ashley Young if their attempts to land Bayern Munich attacker Franck Ribery fail.
Full story: imscouting.com

1049 BST: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger sent his scouts to Valencia's Europa League quarter-final to monitor playmaker David Silva's form.
Full story: Footylatest

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Manchester United turned down the chance to sign Valencia striker David Villa. With United burdened by debts in excess of ?700m, the ?40m fee quoted by the Spanish side will have to be lowered if a deal is to be done.
Full story: The Guardian

Manchester City are planning a surprise move for Bayern Munich striker, and Manchester United conqueror, Ivica Olic after the Croatia star impressed boss Roberto Mancini.
Full story: Daily Mail

Mancini made the trip to Anfield on Thursday night to take a look at Benfica left winger Angel di Maria as he considers whether to bid for the Argentina international.
Full story: Daily Mirror

Aston Villa midfielder James Milner is a summer target for Manchester United with Lyon goalkeeper Hugo Lloris and Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema also in Sir Alex Ferguson's sights.

Bordeaux striker Maroaune Chamakh's move to Arsenal is all but done, with the Morocco international expected to sign a four-year deal at the Emirates.

AC Milan's France midfielder Mathieu Flamini, 25, has quashed speculation linking him with Lyon and Manchester City - saying he wants to remain with the Italian side.
Full story: goal.com

Birmingham midfielder Sebastian Larsson is attracting interest from Newcastle and Sunderland with Tynesiders' boss Chris Hughton weighing up a ?2m bid.
Full story: The Sun

But Larsson may be persuaded to stay and try and force his way back into the Birmingham starting line-up with a one-year contract extension on the table at St Andrew's. Defender Liam Ridgewell has been offered another two years.

Tottenham are weighing up a move for Real Madrid midfielder Guti, with the 33-year-old former Spain international expected to be available on a free transfer this summer.

Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler, 34, will join Sydney FC after the financial collapse of his current club North Queensland Fury.

Sporting Lisbon are lining up a move for Chelsea goalkeeper Hilario.

OTHER GOSSIP
Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has said that Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson failed to accept defeat like a gentleman after his side's Champions league quarter-final defeat to the German side.

United right-back Rafael da Silva was left in tears after his dismissal reduced Ferguson's side to 10 men early in the second half.

Defeat against Hull at the weekend could spell the end of Brian Laws' tenure as Burnley manager.

Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are considering standing aside as co-chairman of the club. British Airways chairman Martin Broughton has been sounded out about the role.
Full story: Daily Telegraph

American billionaire Stan Kroenke could launch a bid to take full control of Arsenal if he decides to sell his shareholding in American football franchise the St Louis Rams.
Full story: The Independent

Striker James Beattie has suffered another snub at Stoke, with teenage rookie Louis Moult ahead of him in the pecking order for this weekend's clash with Wolves.

Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston says keeping manager Walter Smith at Ibrox next season is a "high priority" but admits he cannot guarantee the former Everton and Scotland boss money to spend on new players in the summer.
Full story: Daily Record

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie could make his return from a serious ankle injury in Wednesday's derby against Tottenham.

AND FINALLY
On-loan Celtic striker Robbie Keane's top-of-the-range Range Rover was seized by police after a worker at the garage it was being repaired in took it for an unauthorised late-night spin.
Full story: Daily Record

After their loss to Manchester United in the Carling Cup final at Wembley in February, manager Martin O'Neill has demanded Aston Villa change their suits, their hotel and stay in London one night rather than three ahead of the FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea.

Notts County striker Luke Rodgers could be lining up alongside Barcelona striker Thierry Henry next season if both complete expected summer moves to Major League Soccer side New York Red Bulls.

Blaugrana al vent, un crit valent, tenim un nom que el sap tothom, BARCA, BARCA, BAAAAAAARRRRRRCCCCCAAAAA!

Blaugrana al vent, un crit valent, tenim un nom que el sap tothom, BARCA, BARCA, BAAAAAAARRRRRRCCCCCAAAAA!
gran14.jpg

Ueeeeeeee!!!! :D

Good one!!!!

Bar?a doesn't need to show any other team why it is the best in the world. I'm sorry Madrid you did a good match but it wasn't enough! Now get ready! Champions league semifinals!!! I don't know if we will win the Chamions leage for the second year in a row (no other team has doe it before) but like the ad says: "Nothing is impossible".

Hehehe, I actually don't think Madrid played well at all. They tried and tried, but nothing ever clicked for them. Barca's defense exposed Ronaldo, in my opinion. I cannot deny that the Catalans have the best team in the world right now. All the players are clicking. That's the extra something that RM were missing in this game.

If Barca beat Inter, they will win the UCL. I feel that they most likely will beat Inter, but you never know. Trying to get through Inter's defense will be extremely tricky.

But seriously, I know all the talk is about Messi, but how helpful is it to have someone like Xavi to have your back!

Xavi is amazing, and the reason Real won't win anything. RM are a bunch of players, Barca are a team. Ronaldo demands it all happens through him, that he is the star. And he is at the perfect club to feed that ego.

I have to say the referee at the Tottenham vs (insert the other team here) has to be one of the most biased in my history of watching futbol.

Or a Liverpool game. Accusing your rival teams of having biased refs since 1888

I only watched that game because there was nothing else on telly and a Honduran plays on Tottenham.

We get boned by the ref every time :lol:

Apart from the many many times when you don't. The fact that Stevie G has not had lengthy bans this year is testament to that.

Xavi is amazing, and the reason Real won't win anything. RM are a bunch of players, Barca are a team. Ronaldo demands it all happens through him, that he is the star. And he is at the perfect club to feed that ego.

x2

Real Madrid is making exactly the same mistake they made when Florentino Perez was president for the first time. He hasn't realized yet that there are some things money can't buy.

Every match is a piece of art at their hands. We know this won't last forever but we are lucky enough to withness the best football ever played with our team.

BTW, any footbal fan (specially bar?a fan) should check this video out. It left me speechless :cry: :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A6JV9MQ0