Help with a College Project

crashb648

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing fine without our daily dose of new top gear, can't wait for the new series!

Anyways, for my college project, I'm designing a top gear board game.

Now pretend that there isn't and never has been a top gear board game:

What would make a good Top Gear board game in your eyes?

Anyone who can answer this (sensibly!) would be great :)

- Crashb648

cool cars as board pieces

board track could follow the path of the test track

you want me to do research as well?!

OK, so what do you want to target?

Problem solving skills (there are tasks to do), remembering the show (trivia), automotive knowledge (general), spacial/memory skills etc
what age group are you targetting?
Have you a budget? costs associated with this?

there actually already exist a Top Gear Boardgame http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=477872
so just don't copy that at least :p

Im quite aware of the fact theres one already on the market, and so i havent looked at it at all, so its impossible for me to steal ideas.

you want me to do research as well?!

OK, so what do you want to target?

Problem solving skills (there are tasks to do), remembering the show (trivia), automotive knowledge (general), spacial/memory skills etc
what age group are you targetting?
Have you a budget? costs associated with this?

Thank you for the help ashspet, but i am asking people for the opionions about the question i asked on this forum for further research on the project.

Obviously - challenges with cards. Draw budget, have upgrades/conversions do the challenge with random failures and the winner is. ...

Have one board with several packs of cards one for each of the famous challenges - Verbier, Oslo, Bullett train etc. Of course only 3 or (The Cross London one or even the build a Westfield one 4) players.

Can make up the cards based upon the real issues they had and the TG track could be the route so you could have template masks for each race.

Hey, make it a PC/Console game with on-line elements. ...

So budget 1500GBP, London to Brighton in old Porsches. Oil leaks, break downs, AA transporter - may be points as they did. ... You could have different character in a different car to the real TV show and other cars could have the issues. Loved the concours competition - following point awarded. ...

Any way you get the drift.

What I think is most importand with a boardgame is that it works as a game. Come up with a game that works and is fun, even when you theme it "barbie, ken and their favorite horses" ... then you can brand it as everything you like and make adjustments. But remember than under the whole idea to Brand something "top gear" (or whatever) it first and primarily has to work as a game, not just a branded product. A T-Shirt has to work as a T-shirt, no matter what?s the print on it and a game has to work as a game, no matter what brand you are going to stamp onto it.

Thanks guys for the help, any one else got any thoughts? I just a few more comments and i can pull them all together. Thanks!

1. You need four to six players: "Clarkson," "Hammond," "May," "Stig," "Top Gear Dog," and "James Daw."
2. You need a 15-card "challenge" deck, including "race" challenges and "best car" challenges.
3. For the race challenges, you'll need two decks: "supercars" and "non-cars."
4. For the "best car" challenges, you'll need a deck of old banger cars.
5. The game board will have spaces such as Breakdown, Track Time, Congestion Charge, etc.
6. To set up a Track Time, throw one die six times (First Corner, Chicago, Hammerhead, Followthrough, Second-to-Last, Gambon). The totals will give you a time.