Microsoft hardware assembled by teenage slave labour

KYE and the Chinese government for not enforcing their own labor laws. But mostly KYE.

It sure is physically possible to hold it for 15 hours, I use the bathroom once or twice a day.

It sure is physically possible to hold it for 15 hours, I use the bathroom once or twice a day.

Wow. That's crazy. I pee like every 2-3 hours (admittedly, I sip water and tea constantly throughout the day) and I drop a deuce probably 2-3 times per day.

I'm glad I don't work in a sweatshop.

welcome to a third world country, it is astonishing the stuff like this still creates headlines.

The majority of products we use daily are made under similar conditions, are we willing to pay 5 times more for product made under "humane" conditions, NO.

This.

As well, at least in terms of pay, it's unfair to compare it to wages in $, because you have to take it in context to what they could be earning otherwise, within their means. There is a reason why these people are willingly working at these places, it's not as if they are forced to do what they are doing. They will work in shitty conditions as long as it gets them out of the street or off the fields.

You start making the workplace more hospitable, you increase labour costs. This will result in one of two things. The manufacturer will no longer outsource production to said supplier, OR, the increase in cost is passed onto the consumer, and we, as consumers, will look for the cheaper alternative, which will be another company, selling product for cheap, but that which is produced under "slave working conditions" etc etc etc.

China won't fight too hard for these poor workers. They know that there are other sweatshop friendly countries out there to replace them if the cost of labor becomes too high.

This. Lots of US companies are looking to Haiti now as a super cheap closer-than-China manufacturing center.

Hati would make sense. It is closer and due to the earthquake there is a lot of free land.

Yes that is terribly cynical, but most of my rage in that situation is focused on the Bushes, Clintons, and Red Cross who have yet to do jack shit with all the money donated to them.

Wow. That's crazy. I pee like every 2-3 hours (admittedly, I sip water and tea constantly throughout the day) and I drop a deuce probably 2-3 times per day.

I'm glad I don't work in a sweatshop.

If forced to, anyone can hold their own.

I used to do some airsoft (like paintball) games that would last all day. Even if it's non-dangerous plastic BBs, getting shot at and being in a high-stress situation are good stimulators for keeping the pressure valves closed for very long periods. Also helps to burn about 10,000 calories and sweat 30 gallons every 40 minutes by lugging gear, objectives and "wounded" around. Racing does similar.

If you drink as much water as your body needs to clear itself out (until you piss clear), you're going to piss a lot if you're not working. It's also a better idea to crap frequently and in small loads, because trying hard to push out a large log can give you anal fissures up in your colon or rectum, especially if you're not drinking enough water. 2 per day should do it.

TMI, amirite?

Last edited:
Thread title is just a little sensational, don't you think AiR?
Not really. They might not be slaves on paper, but they are in reality.

The majority of products we use daily are made under similar conditions, are we willing to pay 5 times more for product made under "humane" conditions, NO.
Microsoft (and Logitech) mice are not cheap to begin with, last time I bought a Logitech mouse it was 800 SEK. For that, I expect something that's not done by underaged workers who work for next to no pay. But as for things we use everyday, I don't think the majority of things are made by sweatshop workers. Probably the internals of this computer I'm writing this on is the worst offender if we exlude the Microsoft Xbox Controller on my desk that's probably made by this very factory.

All of the new appliances for my kitchen for instance is made within Europe, as is my monitor, my TV, my car etc. Since I'm assembling a new kitchen at the moment I've identified two parts of the new kitchen that are made outside of Europe, the sink (china) and the little plastic legs that go under each cabinet (india). I like that IKEA labels every single bag with the country of origin.

Point is that it's perfectly possible to manufacture goods or items under good conditions (with western wages) and still sell them for a reasonable price.

Also, I have a real problem with the misleading thread title. Reading the article again, it's clear that Microsoft not only did not know about these conditions, but Microsoft did do inspections to verify acceptable working conditions (how many people go that far to check up on employee conditions with parts subcontractors?), and most importantly, KYE actively concealed these conditions from Microsoft inspectors. The sole blame for the working conditions lies with KYE, not Microsoft.
Neither Microsofts nor the local chinese goverments inspections were sincere, if they had been really interested in how the workers conditions were they would have sent un-announced inspection teams, which they dint. And I expect all companies that out-source production to asia (or anywhere else for that matter) to make inspections that determine that their products are made under fair conditions, and that the workers have the ability to make their voices heard.

Pointing fingers and blaming KYE, while they are the culprit, will accomplish nothing. We must blame Microsoft, Acer, Logitech or any other company that have their products produced under these conditions, because that is the only thing that will make any difference.

Last edited:
Hati would make sense. It is closer and due to the earthquake there is a lot of free land.
Coming from the multiple people I know who've gone to Haiti, they would LOVE to have jobs there.

And lets face it with that whole KYE article there was only one little line about how they met all the overtime, minimum pay, etc. Plus I like the little tidbit in the first line The DailyMail reports. I'm not questioning poor work conditions, I'm questioning how far the poor work conditions were blown out of proportion by a ridiculous paper.

Not trying to sound full of myself, but with regards to the offending company putting on a show for the inspectors I can say I've half been there. Where I work they always announce their arrivals for inspections. One time they never said they were coming and it was so bad the manager of the building was fired within hours. This happens everywhere it's just worse overseas because for years it always has been. And I (along with most people) can't think of a simple way to change anything. so that's why it stays this way.

Yeah announced inspections is a global problem, altough it is more prevalent in less developed countries. I worked in an enviroment classified as hazardous and therefore the DNV-inspectors showed up every few months to make sure everything was alright, and we never knew they were coming. So that worked as intended, but whenever a higher up was coming we knew about it beforehand and put on a show for them.

AiR said:
Not really. They might not be slaves on paper, but they are in reality.
Not on paper, not in reality. They are paid and they are free to quit, right? Certainly the conditions and the pay are awful, and that should be fixed, but they are not slaves.

They're not free to leave the premises after their shift ends. They have to clean the bathrooms on their free time. They are fined for loosing their digits in work accidents. They have to work to support their families.

They're not free on any level.

Whoever said that slave labor is uncompensated labor where you can't quit the job is correct. It's simply inaccurate to call oppressive working conditions "slave labor" when the workers are paid and could quit their job.

They're not free to leave the premises after their shift ends.

The same is true of cowboys on cattle drives, oilmen on oil rigs, soldiers in the military, etc. None are slaves.

They have to clean the bathrooms on their free time.

Cleaning bathrooms as punishment is degrading, but that doesn't make it slave labor.

They are fined for loosing their digits in work accidents.

Absolutely wrong, but not a characteristic of slave labor versus employment.

They have to work to support their families.

So what? So do I.

They're not free on any level.

They're free to quit and go work for a different employer. Hence, not slave labor. I'm not defending the employer's working conditions, but using the term "slave labor" for ANY oppressive working conditions desensitizes people to the shock and horror they should feel when confronted with actual slave labor.