Hockey 2009-10

What? There's another Coyotes fan that actually exists?

Yes, we exist. Don't get me started.

For the record, I don't think the Coyotes are coming back against the Wings. I just can't see the Wings blowing this. And it sucks that one freak incident (Shane Doan avoiding Jimmy Howard) will be looked at by many as the cause of the Wings winning the series.

Patrick :censored: Kane, I hate you. I really, really hate you.

EDIT: There are no words for how much I hate Kane at this moment.
How can you hate this?

http://img231.imageshack.**/img231/3479/patrickkane.jpg

He's so lovable... like a little, drunk puppy who pees on your rug.

Anyway, why is it so damn hard for me to become excited about hockey? I've watched about an hour total of Chicago hockey this season. The 'Hawks are an exciting, young team and I still can't hop on the bandwagon. Someone help me get past the plethora of Canucks and the seemingly meaningless fighting. :p

The Blackhawks are on a roll now.

At this moment the 'Yote's are up 5-2 and they should be able to hold on and force game 7. HOO-RAH!
If they make it on it'll make up for my disappointment that Colorado couldn't come through.

Maxim Afinogenov is awesome. Why ?

This.

Melick: Fed Cup lures 'Mad Max' to Pelham
By Ray Melick -- The Birmingham News
April 23, 2010, 6:00AM

The first name on the sign-in sheet for Tuesday night's adult pick-up hockey at the Pelham Ice Rink had to be a joke, right?

What idiot signed in as Maxim Afinogenov?" the next guy in line wanted to know.

Turns out, the "idiot" actually was Afinogenov, the 30-year-old right-winger for the NHL Atlanta Thrashers, three-time Russian Olympian, and seven-time member of the Russian National Team that is competing in the IIHF World Championships next month in Germany.

The man known in hockey as "Mad Max" for his blazing speed up and down the ice has been in Birmingham all week with his girlfriend, Elena Dementieva, the top-ranked tennis player on the Russian team that plays the United States in a Fed Cup semifinal match that begins today at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex Arena.

But with the Thrashers' season over and training camp coming up for the Russian National Team, the Moscovite was looking for some ice time.

Jeff Cheeseman, director of hockey for the Pelham Civic Center, couldn't believe it when he got the call from Afinogenov's agent.

"His agent said he wanted to skate," Cheeseman said. "So I told her we had an adult pick-up game on Tuesday nights, and (Afinogenov) showed up. We limit the number of players, so you have to sign in and pay $10. I made sure his name was first on the list."

But no, he didn't make Afinogenov pay the $10.

"He was very professional, sharing the puck and everything," Cheeseman said. "Then I told him we have a little better level of competition on Thursday nights with BASH (Birmingham Area Select Hockey). These are guys who played college or minor league, a few of the old Birmingham Bulls.

"As a general rule, we don't allow drop-ins. We made an exception."

The biggest problem Thursday turned out to be which team Afinogenov played with. He started out on the Black team and within 10 minutes the score was 7-2, with Afinogenov scoring all seven goals -- "the quickest paced 10 minutes we've ever played," Cheeseman said.

At that point he was "traded" to the White team, which wound up winning, 16-13.

"Of the 29 goals, Maxim scored 17, including the last three after it was tied, 13-13," Cheeseman said. "And he didn't come off the ice in either the second or third periods. He told us he was looking for conditioning. And besides, who was going to tell him to come off?"

Afinogenov, attending the Fed Cup pairings announcement at the Botanical Gardens on Friday, smiled when asked about the game and said, "It was a lot of fun."

This being hockey, you know someone had to try to take the Russian on.

"Not one guy walked away without saying they went after him," Cheeseman said.

"One of the guys asked me, 'What do you think would happen if I give him a shoulder?' I said, 'The guy plays in the same league with (well known NHL tough guy) Chris Pronger. I think he can take a shoulder from you."'

Afterward, Afinogenov hung around in the locker room talking. Word got out and kids started showing up with jerseys, sticks, and pictures hastily downloaded off the Internet.

Afinogenov signed them all, and went out of his way to thank the guys for letting him play.

Any time, they told him. Any time at all.

maxjpg-6c0dc4f2d9989a17_medium.jpg

NHL and Russian national player Maxim
Afinogenov plays a little pick-up game
in Pelham while waiting for the Fed Cup
to begin (Special to The News)

http://blog.al.com/ray-melick/2010/04/melick_fed_cup_lures_mad_max_t.html

We need more people like him in the world.

"As a general rule, we don't allow drop-ins. We made an exception." :D:D

I truly can't believe that we were able to dominate the Wings like that on Sunday. Just amazing.

And despite my original plans for these playoffs, I will be at Game 7 tomorrow night.

Official status: excited, but extremely nervous.

I truly can't believe that we were able to dominate the Wings like that on Sunday. Just amazing.

And despite my original plans for these playoffs, I will be at Game 7 tomorrow night.

Official status: excited, but extremely nervous.

I made it to the first three games, but my present financial situation prevents me from purchasing a ticket for tomorrow night's game. Also, I work that night, though I'm off at 7:00 so if I miss any of the game I'll just miss the opening few minutes.

Should be a great atmosphere at the game tomorrow night, I'll be sad to be missing out on it, but that can be made up for if the Coyotes win. :D

'Hawks advance. From the little I've seen, the Canucks always make it exciting whenever they play us ... I think..... right? :p

Possible Round 2 matchups- Teams with home ice listed 1st

West

Chicago vs Vancouver
San Jose vs Detroit or Phoenix

East

Washington or Boston vs Philadelphia
Pittsburgh vs Boston or Montreal

The Penguins would be the highest remaining Eastern seed if the Capitals lose. Also, if the Caps lose, it will guarantee home ice advantage in the Stanley Cup Final to the Western Conference Champion. The Penguins had 101 pts and the lowest remaining West seed as of now (the Red Wings) had 102.

Thank you to the Phoenix Coyotes for an amazing season. It's a shame it ended the way it did.

Thank you to the Phoenix Coyotes for an amazing season. It's a shame it ended the way it did.

That wasn't how this year was supposed to end. I got to say, this is going to sting for quite a while. To come out like that in a Game 7 is inexcuseable.

Sucks for Phoenix. Hopefully this season helps revitalize hockey in the Valley, though.

Lets all get behind the Blackhawks though! :D

That wasn't how this year was supposed to end. I got to say, this is going to sting for quite a while. To come out like that in a Game 7 is inexcuseable.

I hate to sound bitter after that kind of loss, but after having no problems with the referees all series, they made a couple bad calls/non-calls that went Detroit's way tonight (maybe I'm being biased though). Namely, the penalty to Aucoin and the Wings pushing their net off its pegs. It sucks that both decisions almost directly led to goals by the Wings, they could have just as easily not really affected the outcome much. In no way did we deserve to win that game with the way we played, but those calls didn't exactly help our chances of making a comeback.

I agree totally. I posted that on another message board and some jackass Wings fucktard acted like I was whining and shit.

You know, quite a few Wings fans showed a lot of class throughout the series. They respected what the Coyotes did.

But those that didn't... I'd like to see them run over by a fucking bus.

I agree totally. I posted that on another message board and some jackass Wings fucktard acted like I was whining and shit.

You know, quite a few Wings fans showed a lot of class throughout the series. They respected what the Coyotes did.

But those that didn't... I'd like to see them run over by a fucking bus.

I sat next to a Wings fan during both game 1 and game 5 (I was spared during game 2). The one I sat next do during game 1 was a complete dick and made me want to punch him. The one I sat next to during game 5 was actually quite nice. He was impressed with how the Coyotes did all season and told me that if we had gotten drawn against, say, Nashville, he'd definitely have been supporting us to win the series.

It's always nice to see fans of the other team like that who can look past petty shit.