Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

http://img691.imageshack.**/img691/826/1967troutmanbarnes91126.jpg

1967 Porsche 911 Troutman

Trautman?
Richard_Crenna.jpg

Cock...I think I have a slight coolant leak. There is a small wet spot under the car, right under the radiator. I get no symptoms when I'm driving, and I haven't needed to top it up in the past 4 months. Hopefully it's just a cracked hose.

is 3400? too much for a high mileage 1989 Merc 260E?
I've spotted one for sale on my commute, and it is absolutely in mint condition. I kinda want it ...

I've spotted one for sale on my commute, and it is absolutely in mint condition. I kinda want it ...

I can sell you a 1990 190E for 2250 eur :p

I can sell you a 1990 190E for 2250 eur :p

I would have gotten your 190E if it weren't for the stupid "pollution" taxes on all second-hand imported vehicles. Also all new Euro IV are taxed but Euro V and Hybrids are exempt, this including ,I think, imported Escalade, Tahoe and Camry hybrids.

edit: The tax for a 2 liter W201 works out to about 8400 euros :lol:

Last edited:

What is high mileage? W124:s can easily have 700 000 km on the clock around here. If it's ~200 000 km, the price isn't that bad.. but it's got to be well-equipped.

Edit: Romania wtf? The tax for a W201 would be 840 euros here.

^it didn't specify on the car, but it's safe to assume 200k+
after seeing how a 2.6l engine only produced 166 hp back then, and the taxes on it are ridiculous, i think i'll pass

Adu, if it were a diesel I would be interested... :p

Amazing that Porsche knew already back in 1967 that a 4-door 911 will look ugly and yet they still went and made one today.

Some people are convinced that a really bad idea which has failed before will work, 'if only the right people would run/execute/control it." And that it'll be different this time, despite the fact that nothing material has changed.

Kind of like these two videos...

After doing so much of my assignment on boxer engines, I now feel like going out and buying a Subaru or Porsche.

Cock...I think I have a slight coolant leak. There is a small wet spot under the car, right under the radiator. I get no symptoms when I'm driving, and I haven't needed to top it up in the past 4 months. Hopefully it's just a cracked hose.

You aren't by chance using your AC are you? It's definately coolant?

Last edited:
Whoops! Kinda bad for your popular compact family van to potentially rollover during an emergency at 50 MPH:

Autoblog said:
We've recently had two shining examples of the importance of having a properly functioning electronic stability control system (ESC) in new vehicles. The instability of the 2010 Lexus GX 460 is a known problem and Toyota is working to address it. The Lexus was equipped with ESC, it just wasn't effective enough. Over in Europe, the Citro?n Nemo failed miserably in a test conducted for a British consumer magazine because it lacked ESC entirely.

Which? is something of a British counterpart to Consumer Reports and had recently worked with German auto club ADAC to evaluate a trio of compact MPVs from Fiat, Peugeot and Citro?n. The Qubo, Bipper Teepee and Nemo all share the same basic design, but only the Italian variant offers ESC as an option (and then only on diesel models). The Peugeot and Citro?n do not offer ESC at any price. Needless to say, the results on the dreaded "moose test" (also known as the "elk test") were not good. This particular test is a double lane change obstacle avoidance maneuver at 50 miles per hour.

Page with video footage: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/28/...oose-test-highlights-value-of-stab/3#comments

Last edited:
Bought a set of Continental Conti-Eco-Contacts!!!

-They were dirt cheap, no way in hell I would have bought low rolling resistance POS tires if they hadn't been 60? for a set.

Or they could, I don't know, design their vehicles with sufficient stability that they don't need ESP. But then they'd have to actually work.