Asshole bouncer - and my reply.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
So last night Tiff and I, along with a mutual friend, decided to take in a show at Brewvies. Brewvies is a cinema-pub that serves alcohol and food, so you have to be 21 to get in. This is fantastic because it means no screaming kids.

As some of you know, I have a CFP (Concealed Firearms Permit). I use this as ID at bars and such because there is a new state law that requires alcohol-serving establishments to scan the barcode on the back of the Driver's License or State ID Card - that information is then stored in a database. As you can imagine, I have a problem with the state keeping track of what bars I frequent. As a form of protest, I always present my CFP card because it does not have a barcode on the back.

This has never been a problem before. Ever. Anywhere. Even at Brewvies. But last night there was a guy on the door who felt that he knew a hell of a lot more about state law than anyone else.

Here is my email response to Brewvies.

To Whom it May Concern,

I am writing to commend the dedication of one of your employees. Last night two friends and I arrived for the City Weekly showing of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and tried to gain entry at about 7:10 PM. The gentleman at the door refused to accept my Utah CFP card and informed me that it was not "valid identification." I am very impressed that Brewvies hires bartenders and bouncers who are legal experts, most establishments don't pay well enough to hire such well-educated workers. I had no idea that every other establishment that accepts a state-issued photo identification card that was issued by the Bureau of Criminal Identification was in violation of state law. I'm sure that all the police officers that have accepted this as a valid identification would be interested to know that it is no longer acceptable, especially since the employee at the door specifically questioned whether or not I would present my CFP Card as identification to police. I can only imagine the tuition reimbursement offered by Brewvies, because the employee is also an expert at detecting falsehoods. When I informed him that I had used this form of ID at other establishments, presented it to police as a form of ID and even used it to enter Brewvies in the past he could tell instantly that I was lying. This has caused me to reexamine how I interpret the very fabric of space-time, because until last night I would have sworn that those events had actually happened. He then corrected the error in my ways and asserted his intensive training by telling me sternly to not "tell [him] how to do [his] job" when I questioned the discrepancy in ID policy between Brewvies and other establishments - and even between this visit to Brewvies and all my previous visits.

I guess that I will dispose of my CFP Identification Card. Since it is no longer accepted at Brewvies, I assume that state and local police, TSA, the Department of Public Safety's Driver's License Division and every other state and federal agency will soon follow suit.

My only regret is that I did not bring this matter to Scotty's attention last night. He seemed very busy serving a long line of customers and I didn't think it would serve them to stop the service at the register for an impromptu Employee of the Year party.

My brother is currently stationed overseas and is due home on leave soon. Since he does not have a Utah-issued Driver's License any more, I will inform him that I doubt we will be able to see a show at Brewvies, since I'm confident his Passport, Military ID Card, and International Driver's License are not going to be accepted as "valid identification." Please thank your employee for saving me the embarrassment of being turned away at the door when my brother comes home to visit.

Sincerely,
---- --------

--
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.

Reactions: MWF
Came off as snarky, sarcastic and condescending; they will probably read it and delete it. If you had wanted them to take you seriously I do not think this was the best approach.

:dunno:

*EDIT* you are also giving bouncer too much credit; he might have been genuinely baffled by your identification.

Last edited:
Yeah, it is snarky, sarcastic and condescending and honestly I don't give a shit. I've been a regular at Brewvies for years and some new guy decides he's going to change both the law and policy because he feels like it.

I don't have to be nice when someone is treating me like shit.

I had a lady card me for red wine vinegar a while ago. . . I just humored her and gave her my license, why make a fuss?

Came off as snarky, sarcastic and condescending; they will probably read it and delete it. If you had wanted them to take you seriously I do not think this was the best approach.

Agreed. This wont get you anywhere. Not that any approach would really get you anywhere. Its a bar, they're not going to worry about one regular boycotting the place, they'll have 10 more people to replace you the next night.

I'm not defending the bouncer but he was probably told "only accept driver's licenses/state identification cards" and he stuck to it because he doesn't know any better. Shit happens when you go to a bar, they're not perfect places.

Brewvies has not been doing so great. The place recently changed hands and the new guy is trying to make it profitable. Bouncers are a dime a dozen, smart as a bag of hammers, and usually don't make any more than minimum wage.

I had a lady card me for red wine vinegar a while ago. . . I just humored her and gave her my license, why make a fuss?

I didn't make the scene, he did. I just provided a valid form of ID. He then flipped out and started telling me that it's fake, it's not a valid ID, it's not issued by the state, etc.

Last edited:
Maybe you should have, when asked for a "legitimate" ID, screamed at him that you are an illegal alien and do not have to produce an ID. Then threaten to send La Raza, Al Sharpton, the Rainbow Coalition and the entire city of San Francisco to protest the establishment.

That only works in California.

Jay's got a point. But I like it. :lol: It's not like they would act on the complaint in any meaningful way, regardless of how polite or sarcastic you are.

A friend of mine was put into a similar situation last fall. He lost his drivers license and his only form of ID was an expired CDL. When we went out to a local bar one night they refused to accept his CDL as proof he was 21 ... because it was expired. He wound up driving home and back (took him half an hour) just to get his passport, which was somehow a better form of age verification because it wasn't expired. Needless to say that our waitress didn't get any tips that night.

:dunno:

Bingo. Honey vs. vinegar, etc.

Last edited:
Oh I so wish I had been there - yes indeed. ... "I say old bean do you not realise that guests from overseas will not have such identifications - I have my UK licence" - then I'd give him the green one (No pic!!!) Ha! OK, out of state, but the door chappie did seem to be a tad in-flexible to me. Blind_io when I come over can I come for a beer? Having a concealed weapon is so Cooooollll.!

Last edited:
there is a new state law that requires alcohol-serving establishments to scan the barcode on the back of the Driver's License or State ID Card - that information is then stored in a database. As you can imagine, I have a problem with the state keeping track of what bars I frequent.

So when you would have shown your state ID card the evil government would know you have been in that bar once. Big deal?
Instead you appear to abandon this fantastic place, sounds a bit childish. Good thing they verify ages :tease:

Oh I so wish I had been there - yes indeed. ... "I say old bean do you not realise that guests from overseas will not have such identifications - I have my UK licence" - then I'd give him the green one (No pic!!!)

Be honest. You would have head butted the guy. :p

Yep I would.
Saying in my best South London:

"Oi dick head, stitch this!" btw that permit means my mate is legally armed. Perhaps you will read them in the future. Run. ....

(not really, he was just doing his job and he has a wife and possibly kids to go home to probably).

Last edited:
The guy might have been right. Just because something has your picture and a birth date doesn't always mean it is a valid form of ID

According to the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control there are only 4 valid forms of ID you can use to purchase liquor.

Utah has 4 forms of ID that are accepted in Utah Liquor Stores.

All must have photo and birthdate affixed and must not be expired.

1 - State issued Identification Card
2 - State issued Driver License
3 - Military Identification
4 - Passport

Utah Code 32A-1-105(43) and 32A-1-301 to 305 covers acceptable forms of identification. Click here to access the Code.

source

I will cop to that being the requirements for a liquor store not a club but it stands to reason that the requirements wouldn't be much if at all different.

Last edited:
There's a lesson to be learned here. Next time, take the unconcealed firearms permit instead.

scarface_million.jpg

The guy might have been right. Just because something has your picture and a birth date doesn't always mean it is a valid form of ID

According to the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control there are only 4 valid forms of ID you can use to purchase liquor.

source

I will cop to that being the requirements for a liquor store not a club but it stands to reason that the requirements wouldn't be much if at all different.

Odd, I've used my CFP at sate liquor stores too. Also, it is accepted as a form of identification by the Driver's License Division and they just got super-strict about forms of ID. Just ask Tiff, who has been trying to get her Utah License and my brother who is trying to renew his from Germany.

Odd, I've used my CFP at sate liquor stores too. Also, it is accepted as a form of identification by the Driver's License Division and they just got super-strict about forms of ID. Just ask Tiff, who has been trying to get her Utah License and my brother who is trying to renew his from Germany.

It really comes down to the person who is doing the checking i mean if you look old enough he didn't even really have to ID you at all. All i am saying is that provided the rules for liquor stores are the same as bars the bouncer may have technically been in the right. As for the Drivers license division the CFP may be a valid for of identification but not a verification of age. Also they generally require more than one form of ID when you got for a license which all together confirm age and identity again just because you can use it as a valid ID for one thing doesn't mean it works for another.

You mean I have to take my passport out to get a drink? Shit - I am 54 FFS.

well if you don't have either of the state issued ID's or a Military ID then yes you would need your passport to buy booze in a store.

EDIT: you could just carry your passport as it is the "ultimate" in age/identity verification and it also likely does not have a barcode for scanning

Last edited: