Asshole bouncer - and my reply.

Came off as snarky, sarcastic and condescending; they will probably read it and delete it. If you had wanted them to take you seriously I do not think this was the best approach.

+1. Although in Blind_Io's situation, can't say I wouldn't have been just as snarky :)

What makes any of you think I'm not snarky and sarcastic? I mean, this is hardly a surprise to you guys. :p

I have a CHP too. I haven't had the opportunity to try this in Virginia (mostly because our CHP permits are county issue, and don't have pictures, and we don't have ridiculous laws about scanning licenses). The way I read the Utah law it could be termed that the CHP permit is a state issued identification, since technically it is state issued (well in VA it's county issued), and has all the pertinent information.

I'm just glad that they just recently changed the law in Virginia to allow carrying into places that serve alcohol. Takes effect July 1. Before we get the flame war of alcohol + guns = all kinds of bad, the Virginia law requires that the carrier of the weapon NOT drink alcohol. It becomes a class 2 misdemeanor the second you drink alcohol.

Hmm...I suppose my post made it look like as though I thought you are a jerk.

I was just observing and replying.

To be fair, Jayhawk, I can be a jerk.

Oh, and I was not carrying at the time, I just keep my permit in my wallet.

Meh, I just have a problem with my full name, driver's license number, DOB, and address being kept on a paper in an open booth in a busy pub (they have to manually write down my info. I still have my CA driver's license since I'm as of yet unable to get my Utah driver's license... due to its state-issued birth certificate requirement). My annoyance with scanning IDs goes hand in hand with the fact that the law requires my drinks to be mixed out of my sight.

Last edited:
EDIT: you could just carry your passport as it is the "ultimate" in age/identity verification and it also likely does not have a barcode for scanning

Carrying your passport with you all the time in a foreign country is a pain in the ass. If I lose my French ID, no big deal, I'll make another when I'll come back to France, if I lose the passport on the other hand, then I have to go to the French embassy (there might not even be one where you are at the moment), fill a mountain of paperwork and then wait for god knows how many weeks before they deliver you a new one... And I'm not even talking about the paperwork to recreate my Canadian work permit for instance...

So far, thankfully, I had absolutely no problems whatsoever with my French ID or driver's license in any bars I went, Canada or US, and these two pieces are the two most fake looking pieces of ID I have ever saw :-D

Wait, this all because you're afraid of the government knowing which establishments you frequent?
So do you also never pay for anything with debit or credit and only carry cash?

Shoulda just let the man swipe your drivers license. Arguing with bouncers never does any good.

Wait, this all because you're afraid of the government knowing which establishments you frequent?
So do you also never pay for anything with debit or credit and only carry cash?

Shoulda just let the man swipe your drivers license. Arguing with bouncers never does any good.

It's not that I'm afraid, it's that it bugs me that a state government makes it so damned difficult to get into certain establishments because the lawmakers are holier-than-thou pricks who do whatever the Mormon church tells them to do.

It's not a matter of fear, it's just a slightly passive-aggressive form of protest that doesn't break any laws.

I just have a problem with any cop walking into a pub or bar and being able to ask for a list of everyone who has visited that bar over the past week without cause or a warrant. If this information is that important then the law needs to provide provisions for both securing that information and require police to go through the process of getting a warrant before being able to get a list of patrons from a private establishment.

Maybe I need to put my "Big Brother Is Watching You" avatar back up.

You mean I have to take my passport out to get a drink? Shit - I am 54 FFS.

Most stores and bars have a rule that makes them card you if you look under 40. Unless you are really young looking, they won't card you :)

Im not sure that the bouncer is an asshole. Also im not sure that the government plan is to compile a database of bars people frequent and round them up.

My annoyance with scanning IDs goes hand in hand with the fact that the law requires my drinks to be mixed out of my sight.

Eh...why is that? Sounds strange to me.

So when you would have shown your state ID card the evil government would know you have been in that bar once. Big deal?
If it's not a big deal, why should the government be involved in the first place? I see no reason that the government should know any of my habits including what bars I frequent.

My annoyance with scanning IDs goes hand in hand with the fact that the law requires my drinks to be mixed out of my sight.
That's what you guys get for living in a whacky Mormon state. :p Seriously, that sucks. If a bartender tried to mix my drink out of sight I would immediately assume he was dumping house booze in my Long Island instead of top shelf like I paid for. Ok, ok, I never order top shelf. :lol:

Eh...why is that? Sounds strange to me.

If a bartender tried to mix my drink out of sight I would immediately assume he was dumping house booze in my Long Island instead of top shelf like I paid for. Ok, ok, I never order top shelf. :lol:

I assume Kiki, as a woman, is afraid of this...

article-0-0067E9E400000258-987_468x286.jpg

I always wondered why they were called roofies, 'cause you're more likely to end up on the floor than the roof. They should call 'em floories.

Or rapies.

:lol:

Yeah, that's definitely a legitimate concern.

To be fair, Jayhawk, I can be a jerk.

Well you surely do seem like an asshole in this issue. If it's not official form of ID and they don't have to accep, the bouncer is not a legal expert and is probably doing what he was told. If the identification you offered isn't valid they will get in trouble accepting it not you. Stop being a cocky paranoid ass.

Why, suddenly, are half of the respondents to this post getting all knocky with Blind Io?

If someone came on here and displayed such outrageous stupidity and lack of imagination they'd have more red blobs than a bad case of chicken pox.

Personally with the knowledge that the new owner of Brewzies is struggling to make a good living I'd put the original text into a letter and address it personally.

And good luck!

It's not a matter of fear, it's just a slightly passive-aggressive form of protest that doesn't break any laws make even the slightest impact.

Fixed becuase the government doesn't give a shit about you and isn't watching your every move and isn't keeping a detailed log of your personal actions. Enjoy your paranoia and don't forget your tinfoil hat.

http://img718.imageshack.**/img718/6202/tinfoilhat.jpg

.....what? How could I possibly be apathetic? I'm offended that you would even suggest it! ... Meh, whatever.