Random Thoughts....

What's your logic behind the A being the closest to the correct answer? I mean, you would make the biggest loss giving the most stuff away under the cost.

If you calculate the price you notice there's a typo.

Like I said, i was being smart-alecky. I either had the choice of guessing, trying to calculate the price when using each 4 break-even points given (not an option with only 20 minutes for the 10 questions) or being a loser and saying that the answer was an infinite/undefined level, of which 40 000 is the closest level given as a choice. Anyway, I just have to approach my lecturer and/or submit a support ticket on the website and I will hopefully get a make-up mark or something. Not too worried, but if I get 84.5% at the end of semester and I didn't pursue this, I will die. :lol:

Dispute it! Stupid typo. I always try to assume what the prof intendeds, and it sometimes comes to bite me in the ass :lol:. In this case, though, the $10 assumption results in B as the answer :p.

I've had this happen to me SO many times /facepalm.

This is a third party setting the test (the publisher of my textbook, to be exact)- my lecturer would never allow a typo like this to get through to us. :lol: And I blame not thinking of looking for possible correct selling prices on tired-ness. Protip- don't leave your weekly quiz due at 00:01 of a Saturday til 23:20 of a Friday :facepalm:

Last edited:
I guess that is irrelevant for the question where there is no answer because you can't break even if you are making a loss..

Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling would like to have a word with you.

Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling would like to have a word with you.

:lol: Well I did mean in theory, crafty scams and real life is different from textbooks.

This is a third party setting the test (the publisher of my textbook, to be exact)- my lecturer would never allow a typo like this to get through to us. :lol: And I blame not thinking of looking for possible correct selling prices on tired-ness. Protip- don't leave your weekly quiz due at 00:01 of a Saturday til 23:20 of a Friday :facepalm:

If your professor has any humanity that question should be left outside the test. Either case, I'd guess you better contact the lecturer.

Last edited:
If your professor has any humanity that question should be left outside the test. Either case, I'd guess you better contact the lecturer.

this is my lecturer that went into the campus at 3am the day of an exam to help a student revise. I think he will be kind about it. :lol:
best thing is, I will get him as my lecturer for about 50% of my courses too- win! :D (he is an awesome lecturer)

oh, and I just figured out a really easy way to get the sales revenue per unit figure from the info I had there. Yep, I'm laughing at myself for not seeing it sooner :D

Holy crap! Gerry Ryan died this morning :(

The biggest broadcaster in Ireland, father of 5, dead aged 53.

Christ life is short :(

If you are looking for an acoustic, you should be able to find decent second hand Yamahas on Craigslist for between 125-200. If it's an electric that you are looking for, I'm not very good with the starter advice on those, because they can be sooo hit and miss.

Also, I think nylon strings will run you slightly more than steel strings, but you can always get a steel string restrung with softer.... strings (sigh), so it's easier to play as a beginner.

Good luck :)

I was thinking about starting off with an electric as I read that the learning curve was a bit easier (true?) but I'm not too stuck on that. And I hear ya on the hit or miss thing. *sighs* I'll probably go with a cheap starter and then upgrade as soon as I know what I'm doing.

I feel like punching someone's head into a pulp. Our apartment was broken into and we were robbed while none of us was at home today. (Whoever it was, he only took the money, nothing else)

That really sucks. :hug:

Hehehehe. I got free underwear yesterday. I'll get another free pair today, and tomorrow, sunday, and monday. I love the internet.

..I want free underwear. :(

And when I got home, of course, not knowing what happened, because Mom came home literally 2 minutes before me and found out what happened, I opened the door with my hands. Fingers.

Yeah, I got fingerprinted. (And so did my parents, just to make sure they didn't get our fingerprints off the door; they got quite a few, actually)

roadtrip.jpg

Taking a road trip in two weeks, these are the places I'm going. All this will be spaced out over two weeks; from here to Chicago, then Chicago to DC; spend a few days in DC, then drive to Texas, stopping halfway for sleep (somewhere); spend the week/weekend in Texas hitting a couple of the big towns (Austin, Texas, and Houston I think?), then drive back. I'm thinking the drive back could be done in one day if it has to be, but we will see. Any suggestions on places to hit in DC and Texas?

Any suggestions on places to hit in DC and Texas?

First thing that comes to mind in the DC area (by Dulles Airport, specifically) is the Air & Space Museum annex: http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy/ They have the Space Shuttle Enterprise, an SR-71, and the Enola Gay there, among many other rare or historical machines.

I was thinking about starting off with an electric as I read that the learning curve was a bit easier (true?) but I'm not too stuck on that. And I hear ya on the hit or miss thing. *sighs* I'll probably go with a cheap starter and then upgrade as soon as I know what I'm doing.
I started off playing acoustic and switched to electric. All I've really played for the last few years is my Fender strat knock-off. But I've got an old Yamaha classical guitar (nylon strings and a big wide neck) that I like playing more, even though I hardly ever pick it up. It makes this glorious warm, full sound that I can't even approach on my electric. Plus it's much easier to play, thanks to the wider neck and soft strings. I suppose it's just personal preference.

Taking a road trip in two weeks ...
You're going up 81, through Kansas and Nebraska? :zzz:

If speed is your goal, just go up I-35 to Wichita, take 35/335 to Topeka, then take 75 north to Nebraska City or Omaha and get on I-29 north. There's always highway patrol on 35 and 29, but you can get away with 80mph safely.

81 probably has a 65mph (maybe 55mph) limit. If you get pulled over out there, they're going to throw the book at you.

Also, unless you've got a few determined drivers, I wouldn't try to do the Austin to Sioux Falls (?) in a day. With stops for food and gas you're probably talking about 20 hours straight driving.

roadtrip.jpg

Taking a road trip in two weeks, these are the places I'm going. All this will be spaced out over two weeks; from here to Chicago, then Chicago to DC; spend a few days in DC, then drive to Texas, stopping halfway for sleep (somewhere); spend the week/weekend in Texas hitting a couple of the big towns (Austin, Texas, and Houston I think?), then drive back. I'm thinking the drive back could be done in one day if it has to be, but we will see. Any suggestions on places to hit in DC and Texas?

On the way back, just before you leave Texas into Oklahoma you'll be in Gainesville, hang a left and detour over to Lindsay about 10 miles down the road and stop for some food at Dieter Bros, if you like BBQ and similar food anyway.

If you are going to be in Houston, head a little further south to Galveston. It's a neat place to visit if you don't get to the sea often. I actually doubt the trip from Texas to South Dakota will take a day (well maybe 24 hours of driving). I'd plan on a stop somewhere in between unless you have a co-driver.

I was thinking about starting off with an electric as I read that the learning curve was a bit easier (true?) but I'm not too stuck on that. And I hear ya on the hit or miss thing. *sighs*

I don't know about nylon stringers, but as far as steel strings are concerned electric guitars are easier to play because acoustics have higher string tension which means you need to apply more pressure which tires your hands faster.

I started off playing acoustic and switched to electric. All I've really played for the last few years is my Fender strat knock-off. But I've got an old Yamaha classical guitar (nylon strings and a big wide neck) that I like playing more, even though I hardly ever pick it up. It makes this glorious warm, full sound that I can't even approach on my electric. Plus it's much easier to play, thanks to the wider neck and soft strings. I suppose it's just personal preference.

Hmm, probably. I think right now I'm leaning more towards electric because of my personal taste in music. But I like acoustic as well and I also want to learn how to play the bass sometime in the future.

Anywho, first job I interviewed for this week I didn't get but at least the HR lady I talked to sent me an email politely saying that I didn't get it. That gives them positive marks in my book as some employers I'm lucky enough to get an interview with don't even bother with that. I understand that things can get busy and they may never get that chance but it was nice that she did that.

In the meantime, I still have a few days to go until I hear back from the second job. I'm also applying for graphic design internships as I need more experience in that field as I eventually do want to get a job that I studied for.

Last edited:
On the way back, just before you leave Texas into Oklahoma you'll be in Gainesville, hang a left and detour over to Lindsay about 10 miles down the road and stop for some food at Dieter Bros, if you like BBQ and similar food anyway.

*looks at menu.

What exactly is texas toast?

Last edited:
It's just bread that is cut at twice the thickness of normal white bread...