Questions about the Nurburgring

Interesting that you bring up parking lots. A parking lot is basically a privately owned piece of pavement. What else is? Well, for starters, a driveway.

Come to think of it, if my driveway were more than two car-lengths long, I could probably speed as much as I wanted until I got to the road. The police don't put speed traps on driveways.

"So what?" you ask?

So, don't build a "Race track" to try and make money on (or even break even). IF you invest in all that land, build a freaking house, and make whatever kind of driveway you want. Here in suburbia we have oval-driveways, so your "driveway" could be modeled after the ring.

Good plan if you're an eccentric millionaire who can independently afford to build and maintain miles of high-quality pavement with precisely no return-on-investment.

Interesting that you bring up parking lots. A parking lot is basically a privately owned piece of pavement. What else is? Well, for starters, a driveway.

Come to think of it, if my driveway were more than two car-lengths long, I could probably speed as much as I wanted until I got to the road. The police don't put speed traps on driveways.

"So what?" you ask?

So, don't build a "Race track" to try and make money on (or even break even). IF you invest in all that land, build a freaking house, and make whatever kind of driveway you want. Here in suburbia we have oval-driveways, so your "driveway" could be modeled after the ring.

Someone beat you to it.

Darn, and I thought my idea was original lol.

What about "private" roads. There are quite a few around my home in the USA. I wonder if the speed limits and etc. are enforced or even enforceable on those...

Private roads are essentially just driveways with one distinction - the owner has the option of building and signing them to DOT standards and making arrangements with the local police force to patrol them. This arrangement is common with shopping centers and such, as well as some HOAs and gated communities. Otherwise, they're either enforced by a private security force (who probably can't do a damn thing to you if you have no relationship to the entity) or unenforced.

Inaccurate representation.
EIBOVenueMap.cfm

I never have been much of a fan of Daytona's infield sections - they always struck me as a bit... Tacked on. Fact is that at least half the lap is still TOTALLY speedway. The little bubble on the backstretch is evidence that someone looked at the track layout and went "It's a speedway with some fluff. Can we please just add one little chicane so we can pretend it's not a speedway?"

So you need one idiot to go with 20 people everytime they go? :p

Inaccurate representation.

EIBOVenueMap.cfm

motogp.us1.gif

Howdy doody. Both of America's most famous racetracks are speedways and (quite good) road courses also.

Right, and those are two of, what... fifty other tracks that are plain ovals? How representative :rolleyes:

Right, and those are two of, what... fifty other tracks that are plain ovals? How representative :rolleyes:

Poor boy. He can't even count. There are thousands of ovals. Dirt, short track, etc.

rep?re?sen?ta?tive
n.
1. One that serves as an example or type for others of the same classification.
2. One that serves as a delegate or agent for another.

Daytona and Indy, simply by virtue of sheer popularity and fame, are absolutely representative of American racing.

I'm not a fan of speedway racing either, but saying American motorsport is utterly dominated by it is idiotic.

It's also funny that this is coming from a Canadian, because you guys have more ovals than road courses too.

There are even a few US states that nearly have more road racing circuits than all of Canada. We certainly have more prestigious road racing events.

Last edited:
Pay no attention to the naysayers young Eric Young. I have dreamed of an American Nurburgring as well, and I believe that is totally possible. The most difficult aspect is finding the perfect piece of land. Having driven VIR myself I would vote for the mountains of Virginia. What the idiots on this thread are lacking are vision and ingenuity. Building a racetrack is extremely difficult, I agree. But public highways are built every day. Lest we forget the Nurburgring is a one-way tolled public highway, and I'm sure there a hadnful of states out there that would love to share in the revenue of a high-priced toll road that every gear-head in the country would sell his sister to drive on. Having lawyers is important, having a lobbyist and money is more important. All that is needed is to partner with massive public-private road financing company like TransUrban, a willing state government and some creativity. Keep your eye on the prize original poster, there might be a US Nurburgring before you know it!

Apart from Spectre's humour understanding fail: VIR looks awesome. and Miller has the best collection of corner names I've ever seen.

I got the joke he was trying to make. It just wasn't funny coming from a country that has even fewer road courses than the US (and IIRC, actually has more oval courses per capita than we do!)

It would be like a German making fun of Americans for buying so many old Beetles when it was Germans that bought ridiculous numbers of them per capita. Just not funny. :p

Last edited:
Yeah. But yet the most popular US racing series is practically oval-only (Yes I know they (have) use(d) (?) Watkins Glen too), which causes the stereotype. And when you compare the number of tracks, don't omit that the US has a far larger populated area.

So... just don't feel angry everytime someone jokes about the US. It's like Ice reacting poorly to deer jokes. ;)

Even NASCRASH has four road races on the schedule these days: Watkins Glen, Road America, Sonoma (aka Infineon Raceway) and Montreal.

Infineon:
Infineon_Raceway_Highways_37__121_Sonoma_CA_95476.jpg

In the interests of full disclosure, NASCRASH also races on this thing.
venuemap.aspx

I am still wondering what the designer was smoking.

Also: Re: tracks - I was saying per capita, not just absolute numbers.

Last edited: