Random Thoughts....

100504-ti-nspire-01.jpg

How fucken complicated a calculator do you need? My Ti-84 was already slightly overkill.

100504-ti-nspire-01.jpg

How fucken complicated a calculator do you need? My Ti-84 was already slightly overkill.

I hope it's got Wifi so you can play your classmates. We had to use cables to do that! Imagine! Cables! To play Tetris in multiplayer! It was the stoneage I tell you.

Probably just healthy paranoia but not a bad idea to be careful. In the current job market it is certainly worth a call to the HR Manager, failing that the Warehouse Manager. If you can manage the former then let him or her know exactly why you are calling, and that while you'd love to hear about any vacancies your main concern is that perhaps a disgruntled former employee might be causing trouble and trying to bring their name into disrepute. This will demonstrate that you aren't just out for yourself and that you are also a loyal potential employee. Finish by saying that you realise times are hard and that they may not be recruiting but would it be OK to e-mail your CV over anyway. Make sure you get their full name, check all spellings, and if you are talking to a woman ensure you verify their civil status ie Miss, Mrs or Ms. Then e-mail it over and if you have a quality hard copy post one out with a covering letter. Then make sure you are pro-active and call next week to verify receipt.

If they then have nothing available for you immediately offer yourself as available for short-term or short notice temporary work, or ask if you can spend some time helping out if they use skills you don't currently have. You may learn stuff and if you keep hanging around or are already there you might carve a niche for yourself. Not sure? Just bear in mind that that is exactly how Kari Byron got her job at M5 Industries and hence Mythbusters, although she won through becuse she has a great ass!

Whatever happens the best of British luck to you. Keep us posted.

looking back on this thread i suddenly realised that i had forgotten to update how it all turned out.
I contacted the company and basically told them who i was, what i had heard from the job center and asked in the nicest way possible for clarification on a few things that the job center weren't willing to clear up on. Thankfully the bloke on the other end was very understanding and filled me in on what i was wondering. The job offer was real, however the job center had missed out on a few glaring details. First of all was that the job required the use of a Forklift Licence (which i don't have) and required some other bunch of qualifications (also of which i don't have). On top of that the job center had also gotten the location of the place wrong. They had said it was in a industrial estate near a village. In actuality the location was inside the village and was near next to impossible for me to get into (i live a town nearby which has no buses going to that area and since i can't drive, it limits me on where i can go). To get to it i'd have to walk through country roads at 5 in the morning and with no street lights. At this time of year its feasible but once it goes dark again then it starts getting a bit iffy.
I thanked the bloke for the information and told them about the job center and how they had given the wrong impression about the job so that the company could get in touch with them and correct those mistakes. This is very much par for the course for the Jobcenter, only a few months back they told me a job which they said was 'right up your street' only to find out that they hadn't told me that the job required me to speak fluent japanese!
Anyway, many thanks to all who sent me best wishes and luck. it was much appreciated.

looks like something Mr Spock used on the Enterprise!

I have one of these:

ti_calc_ti_84plus_med.jpg

and I find I rarely touch the advanced functions these days. Most stuff I do at uni is either on computer, relatively simple mathematical operations or in algebra form.

It is much nicer to type complex equations into a graphics calculator though.

looking back on this thread i suddenly realised that i had forgotten to update how it all turned out.
I contacted the company and basically told them who i was, what i had heard from the job center and asked in the nicest way possible for clarification on a few things that the job center weren't willing to clear up on. Thankfully the bloke on the other end was very understanding and filled me in on what i was wondering. The job offer was real, however the job center had missed out on a few glaring details. First of all was that the job required the use of a Forklift Licence (which i don't have) and required some other bunch of qualifications (also of which i don't have). On top of that the job center had also gotten the location of the place wrong. They had said it was in a industrial estate near a village. In actuality the location was inside the village and was near next to impossible for me to get into (i live a town nearby which has no buses going to that area and since i can't drive, it limits me on where i can go). To get to it i'd have to walk through country roads at 5 in the morning and with no street lights. At this time of year its feasible but once it goes dark again then it starts getting a bit iffy.
I thanked the bloke for the information and told them about the job center and how they had given the wrong impression about the job so that the company could get in touch with them and correct those mistakes. This is very much par for the course for the Jobcenter, only a few months back they told me a job which they said was 'right up your street' only to find out that they hadn't told me that the job required me to speak fluent japanese!
Anyway, many thanks to all who sent me best wishes and luck. it was much appreciated.

That's the Civil Service for you in general I'm afraid. Not sure what's available to you but depending on how long you're been out of work they might be able to get on on a course for an FLT license of similar. And how do you get by in Wiltshire with no driving license? Do you have a pushbike? Remember licenses are useful for all sorts of things so if you can find some way of getting behind the wheel (friend or relative teach you maybe? Assuming there aren't other factors preventing you from driving.)

Also how good are you the telephone? There are plenty of firms out there if you look who will pay you simply to sit at home and generate leads for them - insurance companies, double glazing and other home improvements, office supplies (I know someone who used to work here who now does just that), or even car dealerships contacting previous customers to see how close they might be to trading in. Might be paid on results but if it gets you back doing something all well and good.

Just remember three things:
1. Every no brings you closer to a yes.
2. If you don't get a job for whatever reason don't take it personally.
3. If you don't have full time employment then your full time employment should be looking for full time employment.

We expect to see positive results here in a matter of weeks.

Good luck, and remember........

........don't blink! :blink:

what does a girl mean when you ask her out and says "we should talk more at school" ? Is it politeness or shyness ?
Sounds like a no without having to say it.

It is 9;30pm, and i've almost fallen asleep from stats study, not looking good for the rest of te night. :(

Last edited:
I have one of these:

ti_calc_ti_84plus_med.jpg

and I find I rarely touch the advanced functions these days. Most stuff I do at uni is either on computer, relatively simple mathematical operations or in algebra form.

It is much nicer to type complex equations into a graphics calculator though.

Sign of the times. This was the most advanced graphics calculator I had in high school.

HP-38G-2-M.JPG

Sign of the times. This was the most advanced graphics calculator I had in high school.
(snip)

In this case my school wins. For the most part we use a tablet laptop with a software emulator for a graphics calculator.

This one to be exact.
dell-latitude-xt2-multi-touch-tablet-pc.jpg

We only dig out the physical version when there's a test involved. Personally though, while the tablet is nice to have, it's way, way overpriced, the touch/pen inputs aren't sorted out very well and sometimes the handwriting is just plain annoying because the pen tends to slide off the screen. Still, using Surface apps on it is fun. Might go and see if Google Earth supports multi touch.

That's the Civil Service for you in general I'm afraid. Not sure what's available to you but depending on how long you're been out of work they might be able to get on on a course for an FLT license of similar. And how do you get by in Wiltshire with no driving license? Do you have a pushbike? Remember licenses are useful for all sorts of things so if you can find some way of getting behind the wheel (friend or relative teach you maybe? Assuming there aren't other factors preventing you from driving.)

Also how good are you the telephone? There are plenty of firms out there if you look who will pay you simply to sit at home and generate leads for them - insurance companies, double glazing and other home improvements, office supplies (I know someone who used to work here who now does just that), or even car dealerships contacting previous customers to see how close they might be to trading in. Might be paid on results but if it gets you back doing something all well and good.

Just remember three things:
1. Every no brings you closer to a yes.
2. If you don't get a job for whatever reason don't take it personally.
3. If you don't have full time employment then your full time employment should be looking for full time employment.

We expect to see positive results here in a matter of weeks.

Good luck, and remember........

........don't blink! :blink:

hmm, few questions there. First of all as for the three things, the way i've always seen it and i keep telling myself. Its not 'if' i get a new job, its only a matter of 'when'. It is very easy for me to just bitch and complain about the state of the jobs out there. As long as i keep looking and make sure that i keep looking. its only a matter of time until i rejoin the workforce. Each morning i do a quick check online with websites and if i'm in the town center or a retail park. i'll have a look along the shops and see if they are recruiting or just walk in and simply ask. Small little things that can have big pay off's down the road.
As for the FLT licence, i was scheduled to do a course before. However before the course could begin i started work with WH Smiths and i was there for just about a month. Since i had to go back on the jobseeker's benefit i asked and because i'm effectively starting over again, that college course is no longer applicable because i recently left work. Sounds stupid but its what they told me.
As for travel i used to ride a bike to work. unfortunately i was hit by a car several years back and aside from leaving me with a slight limp its also left me a bit nervous about getting back on a bike. That said, first thing i'm doing when i find permanent work is getting a driving licence. been putting it off for far too long and needs doing.

also.. oops i blinked...
weeping-angels_l.jpg

You know what they say, if you fall off get straight back on again.

They never seem to say what you should do if you're sent flying into a ditch however.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

You know what they say, if you fall off get straight back on again.

They never seem to say what you should do if you're sent flying into a ditch however.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

maybe we should send that question to Johnnyracer since he seems to be the font of all knowledge and wisdom at the moment.

Must be a crappy dealership to not have a loaner car since they can't seem to get your car fixed in the time they originally told you. There are privately owned repair shops here that have loaner cars they'll give you for a few hours or the day while they're doing work on your car...

I'd raise a stink about that.

The dealer I get my car serviced at will rent you a demo, but it's something like $40 a day.

HP-38G-2-M.JPG

I approve! We'd moved on to the 48Gx by my time. I :heart: RPN and wish more people still used it. I've looked high and low for a RPN pocket calculator for work so I don't have to schlep the big graphing model, but they simply don't exist.

100_3639.jpg

Last edited: