the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

I have thoughts of buying these soon to replace my spectacularly crap Bose computer speakers:

1897.jpg

Either from here or here.

Any suggestions? Eastwood hifi has the Mission 760s for $349 atm.

Last edited:
So anyone got an opinion on the AV-40?

Last edited:
I need to completely rearrange my desk to fit big speakers. The consolation with my Bose ones atm is that they're quiet small, and running them through my DAC actually makes them sound tolerable.

Can't make up my mind what I want to do now. I've had a pair of bookshelf speakers on the PC table, connected to a receiver which got the signal from s/pdif. Now that I bought a projector, I've moved the speakers to the screen. They work quite well there for the room of this size. I'm not planning to get a sub (I don't live in a house), but maybe a few satellites to see what this surround thing is all about, at some point. Currently it's used almost exclusively for movies.

The question now is: what to put on the PC table? It is the main place where I listen to music, and I still watch a lot of videos from the monitor. Maybe I want some active monitors (mmm.., I always liked those Genelecs)? Or maybe I should move my bookshelf speakers back on the table and get something really-really nice as a main pair for the movies / music? Although, I can't imagine myself sitting on couch and doing nothing but listening to music, I'm too impatient for that. There's also an option of keeping the music on the table with current speakers and getting a cheap-ish "home theater" set for movies only.

And the question of powering things. I can't connect a second pair of speakers to the same receiver, as it doesn't have the multi-zone function. Which means I either need a passive switch between the sets of speakers, or a second DAC. Or a good soundcard (don't really want to, I prefer the signal to leave the noisy pc in digital form). Or a new receiver (I'll lose a ton of money on this upgrade for a minor function).

Too many options... I wrote this post mainly to organize the thoughts in my head :) I may be over-planning all this, I mainly listen to music in headphones or in the car, anyway. But I definitely need something to make a sound while I'm near the pc, and I don't want anything made of plastic...

EDIT: Something like what nsx_23 posted, but with a built-in DAC would be perfect.

Last edited:
loving my new ultracube... holy crap :D

I've been really happy with my Paradigm Atoms since I acquired them a few years ago. Glad you're as happy with your ultracube.

Hm. Can I connect DAC-less active monitors to a pre-out of the receiver? It only has RCA outputs though, so a passive attenuator is needed. Still would be cheaper overall, I think.

The receiver has pre-outs, but no Multi-zone or A/B speakers? That sounds odd to me. What receiver is it?

I've been really happy with my Paradigm Atoms since I acquired them a few years ago. Glad you're as happy with your ultracube.

It rounded out my full set, I'm rocking with Mini Monitors and ADP-190's at the rear.

Those crazy canucks sure know how to make speakers and they offer fantastic bang for buck

The receiver has pre-outs, but no Multi-zone or A/B speakers? That sounds odd to me. What receiver is it?

No pre-outs, just phono outs (RCA). It's a Denon AVR-1803, euro version. US version DOES have multi-zone :(

Anyway, the plan for now is to make it RCA - passive attenuator - active monitors. Looking at Behringer Truth B2030A, anything bad to say about them?

It rounded out my full set, I'm rocking with Mini Monitors and ADP-190's at the rear.

Those crazy canucks sure know how to make speakers and they offer fantastic bang for buck

Hidden hunter, whats a list of good audio places in Melbourne to check out?

I'm planning on going to factory sound, Carlton audio visual and tivolo's hifi atm, but where else should I look at?

Hidden hunter, whats a list of good audio places in Melbourne to check out?

I'm planning on going to factory sound, Carlton audio visual and tivolo's hifi atm, but where else should I look at?

most places are shit tbh and will try and sell you $50 a metre cable, go to some of those stores and have a listen then fire up firefox and see if you can find it cheaper... We get raped on prices as per usual

Going to get a pair of used Behringers in few hours.

But going back to the receiver, I mixed up all the terminology there. It does NOT have pre-outs. Only for the sub, which is useless. What it does have is rec-out, meaning it's full blast all the time, unaffected by the volume knob. Which is good, on one hand, as I can mute the main speaker pair and use monitors for PC audio. Although it seems wasteful to run the receiver all day as a DAC and having it at 0 volume. And getting a separate DAC just for the monitors doesn't fit well into my budget plans either.

Meh, will see how the monitors will work from rec-out of the receiver and then decide what to do.

EDIT: Aand it doesn't. For some reason the receiver doesn't output line signals from the digital source. Useless POS :(

Last edited:
I just read a test about the E-Mu 0202 USB, and apparently it sounds good and it should do everything you want from it.
The Mac drivers were criticized for being slow and not supporting all the sample - and bitrates.

If you have a spare PCI-Express slot, you could try the soundcard that I've got.

Asus Xonar Essence STX

It works great with windows 7, has an excellent dac, RCA outs for your monitors and a pretty damn good built in headphone amp that should easily drive your HD650s.