California School: Wearing American Flag design shirts on May 5? That's a suspension.

I've never had Cinco de Mayo but it sounds delicious!

For the rest I echo Mitlovs thoughts.

I don't believe for one moment that there isn't more to what they did than just wearing shirts with American flags on them. Also, it doesn't take very many brain cells to realise that wearing those shirts on Cinco de Mayo could potentially be provocative. It does appear to me, to be a case of both sides overreacting to the situation, thus blowing it out of proportion.

Last edited:
Neither do I. I just don't think it's the school's place to step in. As I said, if they want to look like bigoted idiots, more power to them, you can't exactly call wearing ANY country's flag offensive, especially if it's their own!

and I don't think Cinco de Mayo is even an officially recognized holiday.

It isn't. Corona beer (and NOBODY drinks Corona in Mexico) latched onto some dinky holiday that is not nationally recognized, and suddenly it's a Mexican holiday in the minds of morons. I know when the real independence day is because in Aurora (30% Hispanic) blanco gringos celebrate Cinco de Mayo and Mexicans celebrate the real holiday in September.

Neither do I. I just don't think it's the school's place to step in. As I said, if they want to look like bigoted idiots, more power to them, you can't exactly call wearing ANY country's flag offensive, especially if it's their own!

I don't think it is either. I do understand where they're coming from however. In their (misguided I think) opinion they must have thought that the shirts could cause some problems, so they asked them to remove them/turn them inside out/whatever. When I was in school I had my fair share of lunacy; in my one year of school in the USA I was wearing a Blackburn Rovers shirt, back when their shirt sponsor was Bet24. I was asked to put on something else because of the betting website's logo on my shirt. Fairly idiotic, but I complied. These California kids didn't comply, so the situation escalated; the natural next step if an administrator considers your clothing "inappropriate" is to send you home if you refuse to remove it/cover it up.

I have to say I've always tought making clothes out of flags is very disrespectful. It's just my opinion, and I know it's not meant to be. I'm just a little too old fashioned, I guess.

Don't ever come to Australia around January- the amount of flag-bearing clothing items (including shoes, swimmers and underwear) is appalling. The racist shirts (and attitudes towards anybody who doesn't look/sound "Aussie") come out too sadly. But I agree with you- flags ideally should be flown, not worn. People around here could just wear green and gold clothing as an alternative (that's almost as Australian as the flag nowadays), so I really see no need for it.

It isn't. Corona beer (and NOBODY drinks Corona in Mexico) latched onto some dinky holiday that is not nationally recognized, and suddenly it's a Mexican holiday in the minds of morons. I know when the real independence day is because in Aurora (30% Hispanic) blanco gringos celebrate Cinco de Mayo and Mexicans celebrate the real holiday in September.

Off-topic, but yum, Corona with lime....

On-topic, these kids were well within their rights to wear this stuff, even if some may constue it as offensive IMO. If the school wanted to police what people wore and when, they should have had a uniform policy in place that banned it (and not freaked out and reacted in a slap-happy way that's now landed them in a minor shitstorm). FFS, they live in the US. It doesn't matter if the community is mainly Mexican/whatever (applying this to all scenarios), they are educated under the US education system (probably at the expense of the american taxpayer), they work in American jobs (or at least their parents may) and they fly the American flag. So sick of people trying to push their values in the area of patriotism in a foreign country in a way that smothers the "parent" countrys patriotic rights/values

(sorry for any typos too, on my iPhone :lol:)

Corona with lime is the best summer beer ever. I totally want one now.

What were we talking about again?

Don't ever come to Australia around January- the amount of flag-bearing clothing items (including shoes, swimmers and underwear) is appalling. The racist shirts (and attitudes towards anybody who doesn't look/sound "Aussie") come out too sadly. But I agree with you- flags ideally should be flown, not worn. People around here could just wear green and gold clothing as an alternative (that's almost as Australian as the flag nowadays), so I really see no need for it.
I'm not easily offended. I get offended by actual harmful behavior, not by someone's fucking clothes. Oh, I get very offended when the television replaces the swearing with a *beep*, but that's obviously different. Err, I am the king of digressions..

Corona with lime is the best summer beer ever. I totally want one now.
LIES! BLOODY LIES! I'd take a pint of bitter over a Corona any day. I've BREWD beer that taste better than Corona. It's however nice enough if it's the best alternative.

What were we talking about again?
I'm a little drunk, I really haven't got a clue. Even if I'm debating the theme of the thread just five or six lines above. Strange.

But I agree with you- flags ideally should be flown, not worn

Technically the flags are not being worn, images of flags are. That means, at least in the United States, that the rules regarding the proper use of the flag do not apply.

How good of a summer beer Radler is!

:D

O/T:

Uniforms may as well be the wave of the future. Minimize tensions, it's easier to tell if anyone is carrying a knife or concealed weapon (implying that the school admin would pick an appropriate uniform) and supply clothes for the less-fortunate.

Done and done. Fuck what kids want to wear.

Well I love the area that I live in. It just nuts in the Bay Area.

Punish the kids who fight. They should be able to wear an American flag or a Mexican flag shirt whenever they want. Its like sayings kids can only wear stuff supporting the Oakland A's or the Raiders because they are in the East Bay. If you love your country, who it whenever you want. Its land of the free, and that works both ways. You can do what you want, but I can also do what I want.

I understand where the schools are coming from, but grow a pair and think. You can't shelter everyone from everything. If you do, you end up with soft people who cry about everything.. wait, thats what we have. People are going to get offended, and if they get offended over something like wearing an American flag on any day while you are in the USA, then you have the issue and not the person wearing the flag. I occasionally have clothes looking like the British flag, but it doesn't mean I'm a traitor for supporting England (circa 1776). I just like my English roots. We don't punish the Jamaicans from wearing their national colors or flag shirts. Its just nuts.

Technically the flags are not being worn, images of flags are. That means, at least in the United States, that the rules regarding the proper use of the flag do not apply.

People will wear actual flags- designed to be used on flagpoles- as capes over here. And a fair chunk of the "flag" clothing are also pretty much so the flag printed on cotton and sewn differently to how it would normally be. I'm not saying I actively protest this, I just wouldn't do it myself. I do, however, protest the racist attitudes that often accompany such attire. But I would be surprised if this was a major issue anywhere else than over here. People in Aus just tend to be bogans :(

This also explains why our education systems sucks ass. We would rather send kinda away and not give them a days education just to not take the chance on making someone upset. A day's education missed is a day's education gone. Yeah they will learn it, or maybe they won't. It still hurts.

FACE

PALM

Well, we all came from other places,
Different creeds and different races,
To form a nation...to become as one,
Yet look at the harm a line has done-
A simple little line, and yet
As divisive as a line can get.
A crooked cross the Nazis flew,
And the Russian hammer and sickle too-
Time bombs in the lives of Man;
But none of these could ever fan
The fames of hatred faster than
The Hyphen.

This just in... something stupid is happening in California.

Are you seriously surprised about anything that happens in a state that elected a movie star as their governor?

Last edited:
This just in... something stupid is happening in California.

Are you seriously surprised about anything that happens in a state that elected a movie star as their governor?

I actually find him a refreshingly moderate voice in a state whose politics are dominated by a bizarre mix of enviro-fascists and homophobes.