the Interceptor's general AUDIO thread

I don't have any spare slots.

Also, I really want an external one - knob volume control :) As for 0202, reports are really mixed. Some people say Vistra drivers work, but then there are a lot of complaints about either not detecting the hardware at all, or crackling sound etc.

I bought M-Audio Fast Track Pro. And this is the final setup:

https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mx/mxm/2010/05/07/pcaudio.jpg

M-Audio works well in 7, has volume knobs and everything :)

I have a number of complaints though.

Behringers, they are both humming. Or hissing, or something. Sound like white noise coming from tweeters. I can just hear it at a meter distance at night :( The amount of noise doesn't depend on input sensitivity knob positions. Or whether anything is connected to inputs.

M-Audio is otherwise very nice, and I love the sound with headphones, but the monitors output level knob has to be kept at a very minimum - it's just too loud. And at the lower end potentiometer doesn't adjust levels symmetrically. At first only right side is playing, then the left comes along and continues at the same volume. I need more attenuation for the monitors, -6db on Behringers is not enough :(

EDIT: I also need the speakers a little higher. Maybe some hard foam underneath.

Last edited:
I've been tinkering.

Bang & Olufsen Redline 60.2 speakers, as I got them:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2010/05/07/before.jpg

Note the faded, dusty, dirty, torn and pilling cloth. Not very attractive. So I decided to freshen them up.

In order to replace the cloth, you basically have to disassemble the entire cabinet of these speakers, B&O built them starting with the front and assembled everything back from there. That said, these are built fantastically, really solid materials. Here with the back case off, you can see the insulating blocks they used, they seem somewhat arbitrary, but I'm sure there's some reason behind it.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2010/05/07/open1.jpg

With those blocks taken out you can see the drivers, one for mids, one for lows and a pretty big tweeter in the middle; the crossover system, and the bass resonance tube thing. Previous versions of these speakers used a metal plate suspended on a bit of foam for that bass resonance, age takes its toll and that foam rots out causing the bass from the speakers to turn to crap. This is basically revision two of these speakers, that plate replaced with a tube; it works surprisingly well. There's also a third version that uses two passive bass radiators in place of the tube for extra oomph. B&O actually sold a kit with those for a while to upgrade the older speakers, but those are long gone.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2010/05/07/open2.jpg

And the front, the cloth is glued around this main piece (between the piece with the red line and the main housing, the red-lined bit is unscrewed and lifted away), down the channels under the straps and over the B&O name in the corner.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2010/05/07/open3.jpg

I started by running glue down the channels on the front, letting it tack up and then pulled the fabric into place, and then did a quick reassembly of the housing and replaced the straps to hold it in place while it set up. Next was the B&O name, that entire little corner is coated with glue, the fabric stretched over and pressed into it in order to basically emboss the name into the fabric. Fun tidbits: the B&O name on these speakers is the largest dimension wise it has been on any B&O product, 1"x7", these redline speakers are also on permanent collection at the Museum of Modern Art. Disassemble the cabinet back down and glue the fabric the rest of the way.

I also wanted to do a little visual modification I've seen done once or twice, and really make the speakers live up to their 'Redline' name. A trip to the auto parts store for 1/4" red vinyl pin striping makes that really easy. It sticks right to the straps, and is removable if needed. Really makes these pop I think.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2010/05/07/done2.jpg

And here's the finished product. The fabric isn't perfectly straight or as taunt as it could be, but for my first time ever doing this, I didn't do too badly.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2010/05/07/done1.jpg

And here you can see the difference between the two. It really looks brand new now. This one took me about two hours, the second one I'll probably do tomorrow, should go quicker.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2010/05/07/comparo.jpg

Next task, getting stands for them.

Last edited:
I've had an audio-related revelation today.

I've been looking for a relatively cheap set of bookshelf speakers for a little while now, and today my mates and I went around to various audio stores to test out what we picked out to be affordable speakers just for computer use ($300AUD cap). We wern't after something super-epic-awesome as we both agree that we'd rather save up and get a pair of epic floorstanders when we have the necessary funds to have bought our own appartment/house after getting a full time job.

We went to the first store, and after trying out some Behringers and other similarly price equipment, we came away unimpressed. Bloated bass, no separation between vocals and instruments and a rather pathetic soundstage. Off to the second store we go - again, the same thing, but this time we were testing $2900 Genelacs, and even the cheapest pair of speakers we tested were $500 Fostexs (The three of us universally hated the Fostexs. My favorite out of the ones tested were dynaudios, and the other 2 liked the genelacs). A little annoyed at this stage, we went to the third store, and this time we had more luck with a set of Joey bookshelves (Designed/tuned by the guy who used to work at Linn), but they were $1200, and they were hooked up to a CD player and amp combo which was at least $6000. Of course they were going to sound nicer, but most things will sound nicer when hooked up to such an expensive source ;).

Onwards to the last store, and I finally found a set-up which I was happy with (B&W 6-series, NAD amp and CD player). However, this set-up was about $2900, and even in that acoustically tuned demo room they could "just" compete with the HD650+amp .

Clearly, you can see my price cap and outlook on things has been completely rewritten today.

The revelation in this little experience for me today is just how spoiled my ears are by my headphones, and that they really are a nice budget way to enjoy top-shelve audio. Its definitely made me appreciate my HD650+336 tube amp combo and UE18pro customs much more. As someone who has had no previous in-depth experience with speakers or home theater systems, it amazed me that I had to look at systems which were at least $2500 to actually feel like I was getting something that would compete with my headphone set-up, and even my friend, who wasn't really an audiophile until today, came to the same conclusions I did after hearing my HD650 set.

Now, Australian pricing for almost anything tends to be ridiculous, but even then it still highlighted to me just how good value-for-money headphones and earphones can be and how far I've come expectations-wise from when I first began this hobby by picking up a pair of Shure E2Cs. One of the mates I was with was already into HT systems, so he had his baseline expectations in order.

My other mate and I wern't expecting really awesome sound from $300 speakers, but even than we were both amazed that we were able to pick out the cheap speakers from the good speakers in less than 10 seconds even when double-blinding, and that we had to get to almost $3000 to find a set-up which we thought was comparable to the HD650. That old equation relating speakers and equivalent headphone costs has never rang more true for me than now, and with the plethora of amps and headphones out there on the market there really hasn't been a better time than now to get into the audiophile world. :) Speakers are definitely more fun overall than headphones because of the soundstage and overall presentation, but at that sort of price range they better be, and if you have a small apartment/share house with others than you can still get very nice sound out of a good pair of cans.

Sorry to bang on about the HD650, but I'm just over the moon with them right now :p

The other benefit of today is that I now know what speakers I should be looking at as a baseline when I start putting together a home system, and that this hobby is going to get insanely expensive very quickly once I start looking at speakers. ;)

P.S. The Electrocomapniet gear is utter sex.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right, if you want technical excellence on a budget - the headphones are a way to go. And I don't regret a cent I spent on my pair. Yet, if it's a midday and I can safely turn the volume up, I still prefer even the inferior speakers.

Speaking of which, I guess I'm getting used to the idle-hum of the Behringers, don't really notice it unless I lean towards the speaker. And now that I've put some foam under them, the messy bass is significantly improved. I guess the table is just not sturdy enough.

https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mx/mxm/2010/05/10/speakerstand.jpg

Does anyone know how to use ASIO4ALL? I can't get winamp or foobar to pick up the plugin....

I don't know how ASIO4ALL works, but if you just want to have a bit-perfect and exclusive output you could try using WASAPI.
Plugin here for foobar: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

It requires much less configuration than ASIO. Just install the plugin and choose your output from Output setting in foobar and you are done.
You will need to have Vista SP1 or newer though.

Last edited:
Question.

What's the best computer speaker setup I can get for the smallest amount of $$? Let's say $300. Not including an audio card, I intend to have that taken care of soon. I've got headphones covered (HA-RX700s) but I'm really missing the big-noise sensation one gets from a set of good speakers. Right now I've just got a shitty set of $30 Logitechs. I realize I'll be looking used / older equipment, but since I'm a noob to all of this what exactly should I be looking for? Any suggestions off of the chicago-area craigslist would be fantastic. I'm talking a pair of tower speakers + receiver, probably hooked up to my server with a nice audio card jammed in there playing music 24/7.

Last edited:
I you look at the last 2 pages, you'll see I just had the similar problem. I can't say whether my choice was the biggest or the baddest (although they're freaking huge and loud, at least), it was mostly dictated by the fact that I found a second hand pair for 190? :) But something along these lines maybe, there are quite a few active monitors for 300 it seems.

derp a derp I'm a frog

Last edited:
If you want to use the receiver you don't need monitors, just a pair of passive speakers will do. Monitors have their own amplification.

Audio noob here.

I have an old set of Creative 2.1 speakers, I have them hooked up via AUX cable to my PC, I also have an RCA-AUX converter for my 360 that I use as well, the trouble is, I have to switch the inputs and it's a bit of a pain due to the mess of wires. Any suggestions on resolving this? I've tried using a headphone splitter, but that drastically reduced the volume. I've looked into KVM boxes as I have to switch out DVI inputs as well, but I'm not sure which ones are good quality or not. Obviously, I'd like to spend as little as possible on this. Thanks.

derp a derp I'm a frog.

Last edited:
Anyone here own a Marantz CD5003?

I'm considering one for around $300AUD.

1174201bfth.jpg

Last edited:
Why the hell have 6SN7GT tubes become so fucken expensive lately!

Ok.

Found a friend to answer my questions

So now:

Does anyone have any problems with this setup:

Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS484 - $100
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/1744495366.html

Speakers: MTX AAL 1240 Home Speakers - $125
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/1743601847.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/1743684992.html

Also, for speaker wire, what do I need? I'm looking at a 100-ft roll of 10 gauge on Amazon for $20 shipped.

I think either you need different speakers or a different receiver. I've always thought you should generally try to match the power output of a receiver to the power handling of the speakers. You've picked a receiver that puts out 55W, and speakers that handle 200 (Though honestly if you put that much power to them you'd have way too much volume to be listenable). Anyway, I'd try and find speakers in the 75-100W range for that receiver myself, but the ones you picked would work.

And 10 gauge wire is overkill for your application (unless you're planning on running wires for several hundred feet), I'd go 14 at the largest, 14 gauge with 8ohm speakers gives you ~80' before you need to bump up to 12 gauge, 16 gauge would be fine up to ~48'. Honestly, you'd be fine going to the hardware store and buying standard lamp cord to use as speaker wire for now (and you'd have 50' of play before you needed heavier gauge), until you really upgrade to higher end stuff. Here is a really good reference on wire and all the pitfalls with it. Just for reference, I run oxygen free 18ga Stinger wire in my room for all my speakers and have no issues whatsoever.

I think either you need different speakers or a different receiver. I've always thought you should generally try to match the power output of a receiver to the power handling of the speakers. You've picked a receiver that puts out 55W, and speakers that handle 200 (Though honestly if you put that much power to them you'd have way too much volume to be listenable). Anyway, I'd try and find speakers in the 75-100W range for that receiver myself, but the ones you picked would work.
Power figures don't really mean anything. In speakers it's only the max recommended and even then speakers are not going to break if you momentarily give them more. With amps manufacturers obviously can claim anything, some amps give out less power and some give out more, you never know if it means RMS or peak.

Besides those speakers have sensitivity of 92dB which means that 1W gives out 92dB 1 meter away from the speaker. Although the power needed to give out more dBs grows exponentially in home use you won't ever need huge amount of power and the real power usage will be few watts.

In general you can just ignore power in the amp and speaker specs. Unless you have some really special speakers or amp.

Last edited:
I couldn't find any other receiver on the CHicago Craigslist within my budget and my area that looked newer than 20 years old.

I'm fine with a lack of volume for now, as I am more than happy to purchase a more expensive receiver in the future when I actually NEED more volume.

The difference in output power and speaker power won't harm either the speakers or the receiver, will it?

I couldn't find any other receiver on the CHicago Craigslist within my budget and my area that looked newer than 20 years old.

I'm fine with a lack of volume for now, as I am more than happy to purchase a more expensive receiver in the future when I actually NEED more volume.

The difference in output power and speaker power won't harm either the speakers or the receiver, will it?

It can. It is much easier to blow a pair of speakers with a 15w amp than with a 100w. With high wattage speakers and a low watt receiver, it is very easy to push the amp into clipping, which can easily damage tweeters. I almost killed one of the EMITs in my Infinity Qb's by running them off of my 15w receiver. If you keep the volume reasonable though, you should be fine.