Random Thoughts....

Hum, that actually reminds me. Have you looked at a craft store? They make glow in the dark paints that would still be neon-ish colors in daylight. Shouldn't be more then a few bucks a bottle. Dunno why I didn't think of that before. Joanns used to have an entire section of glow in the dark stuff.

Wait you think $1.99 a bottle is too expensive? I'm not sure I can help you with that then. Maybe at least check out the craft store but you're going to pay a few bucks a bottle period. That stuff on ebay could easily be diluted into glowing vials if that's what you want.

I just meant too expensive plus shipping to buy all the colors, and I have no other use for it but what I'm going to be doing. I'm going to check crafts stores once the vials arrive and I have more money. I'd suspect paints would dry out over time, however, and that's also another concern, I don't want it to dry out. Anyhoo, I'll probably just buy that UV-dye stuff if I don't find anything and buy a ton more vials and start selling them or something :lol:

It's actually just the tonic that glows. It's an additive called quinine (fun facts to know and tell: it also treats malaria).

So if I filled one of the vials with tonic, if I ever got malaria I'd have a vial of tonic around my neck to treat it with! :lol:

Yum, steamed hot-dogs!

I am personally partial to steamed hams. That's we call hamburgers.

SKINNER!!

I am back from my four day foray to Michigan and specifically Mackinac Island. Saturday we stopped for the night in Grand Haven which a beach community, walked the beach in very thick fog, then Sunday we traveled up to Traverse City where Sonia was able to indulge in the city's world famous cherry pie. We also picked four bottles of different types of cherry wine at a store called Cherry Republic (you uh, sensing a theme here? *) and then on we drove to Mackinaw City, and took a walk in their ultra cutsey business district that consisted mainly of t-shirt or fudge shops. Monday we took a ferry to Mackinac Island loaded with probably ten adults and 300 fifth graders from a local school community. I asked a chaperone when they were departing, so we would leave well before they did; actually they were good kids, just noisy. On the way there my very unique Subaru hat blew off my head and Lake Michigan claimed another clothes victim.
When we got to the island I was insistent that we travel by bicycle because it very large and to see many things you just have to. She was wary because she had not ridden a bike in decades; turned out she was a natural and after 100 feet of riding she passed me! We rode around the circumference of the island, about eight miles. After lunch we pedaled some more, stopped at the butterfly house where I got some great photos, and then we left at four.
That evening after dinner we walked to the beach near Mackinac Bridge, and then, for shits giggles, we drove over it. Let me tell you it is five miles long and very tall and I am very scared of heights.
And today we left early and blasted back to Illinois. It was a great time and Michigan is a beautiful, beautiful state, especially when we connected to I-75 near Gaylord to Mackinaw City.

*Michigan is famous for producing some of the best cold weather fruits like apples and cherries. 75% of cherries sold in the US come from Michigan.

It's actually just the tonic that glows. It's an additive called quinine (fun facts to know and tell: it also treats malaria).

Fun fact 2: quinine is extracted from a tree.

Gah, it's rainy and cold and miserable. And the weather service is predicting much of the same for the next 10 days at least. Hello winter, I like you but go away. Rain makes catching the bus a bitch (thank god for my dad taking me in today even though he isn't well)

Hopefully it clears up for exams- no doubt I will get lost and be walking around campus a lot looing for my exam halls/rooms :lol:

Somewhere on here people were talking about new knifes they were getting and I need a recomendation.

I need to replace my old Henry lock blade that has gotten lost. I know I had it when we moved but I haven't been camping in years so I haven't needed it. Now I want to get into camping again and have a few of projects to carve so I need my knife. I can't find it anywhere.

I need a good general purpose locking blade for camping and some general purpose wood working. I don't do any fancy whittling but will carve a walking stick or staff sometimes or some kind of general wood tool I need. I don't hunt so that isn't a concern and I have a couple of separate fishing knifes so it doesn't have to do anything for fishing.

I have typically gone for traditional locking blades with a wooden handle and typically brass hardware with a stainless steel blade. I never really cared for the fancy tech ones with metal handles made of titanium or ceramic but I am open to suggestions of both.

Oh lets see other details. I don't need a serrated blade just a regular straight one is fine. I usually have a couple of small saws around so no need for another one. Good size to fit in my pocket but large enough to do quick work on a staff or walking stick.

Something like this is what I probably would have bought in the past.

http://cgi.ebay.com/POCKET-KNIFE-2-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335d469fdd

Though I usually spent a good bit more money then that so either I was overpaying, prices have come down a lot in the 10 or so years that I bought knifes in or that knife is just way too cheap.

Last edited:
Great first softball practice. First game is next Tuesday v. the Mormons.

Any steel preference? 440A,S30V,420HC etc..
Frame or liner lock?
Any knife listing that doesn't include the country of manufacture and the type of steel is not to be trusted.

I am personally partial to steamed hams. That's we call hamburgers.

SKINNER!!

I am back from my four day foray to Michigan and specifically Mackinac Island. Saturday we stopped for the night in Grand Haven which a beach community, walked the beach in very thick fog, then Sunday we traveled up to Traverse City where Sonia was able to indulge in the city's world famous cherry pie. We also picked four bottles of different types of cherry wine at a store called Cherry Republic (you uh, sensing a theme here? *) and then on we drove to Mackinaw City, and took a walk in their ultra cutsey business district that consisted mainly of t-shirt or fudge shops. Monday we took a ferry to Mackinac Island loaded with probably ten adults and 300 fifth graders from a local school community. I asked a chaperone when they were departing, so we would leave well before they did; actually they were good kids, just noisy. On the way there my very unique Subaru hat blew off my head and Lake Michigan claimed another clothes victim.
When we got to the island I was insistent that we travel by bicycle because it very large and to see many things you just have to. She was wary because she had not ridden a bike in decades; turned out she was a natural and after 100 feet of riding she passed me! We rode around the circumference of the island, about eight miles. After lunch we pedaled some more, stopped at the butterfly house where I got some great photos, and then we left at four.
That evening after dinner we walked to the beach near Mackinac Bridge, and then, for shits giggles, we drove over it. Let me tell you it is five miles long and very tall and I am very scared of heights.
And today we left early and blasted back to Illinois. It was a great time and Michigan is a beautiful, beautiful state, especially when we connected to I-75 near Gaylord to Mackinaw City.

*Michigan is famous for producing some of the best cold weather fruits like apples and cherries. 75% of cherries sold in the US come from Michigan.

No pics? Well I am glad you had a good time.

I don't think pics for the internet are priority when you're on a romantic holiday with your significant other.

today i had a pretty awkward moment apart from the above mentioned: I ring mum to get a update, i just so happened to call her in the middle of a funeral for a daughter of one of her co-workers. As far as awkward moments go, that is a pretty awkward moment.

On a lighter note, i seem to be developing a fondness for things with Russel Brand on them.

Last edited:
Does that bridge still have the open-grate road surface? Used to scare the hell out of me. We used to go there every couple of years. We'd go to Door County and pick cherries, and "the island" to buy fudge. Lots of fudge. :p

There was an interesting "Modern Marvels" about the bridge from a few years ago. Good stuff.

I don't think pics for the internet are priority when you're on a romantic holiday with your significant other.

today i had a pretty awkward moment apart from the above mentioned: I ring mum to get a update, i just so happened to call her in the middle of a funeral for a daughter of one of her co-workers. As far as awkward moments go, that is a pretty awkward moment.

On a lighter note, i seem to be developing a fondness for things with Russel Brand on them.

Do cell phones in Honduras not have off buttons? :p

Last edited:
Amateurs don't use nitrous oxide. I've seen the way you drive, you've got a heavy foot.

You'll blow yourself to pieces.

On the contrary, amateurs often use nitrous oxide by itself as it is cheaper and easier to implement (at least initially) than a real power adder like displacement or a forced induction system.

With, of course, very predictable results.

I knew a guy who put a NOS system in his new/used Metro 'vert before fixing the hole in the roof.

No, keep raining, need rain. Fill up the damns and means not having to water the garden for a week!

And when the 'guy in the shop' says no, you need this sized wiper blade for your car, not that one (being the one you've chosen), a polite 'thankyou-but no' should be sufficient! And yes, my blades fit perfectly thank you very much.

This KitKat wrapper indicates 'creamier chocolate' and it's making me angry because I specifically made sure to not buy the Chunky. If I wanted all that chocolate taste I would have bought the Chunky.

Come on Nestle! You make the Chunky, you make the Bites, you make the little thin weight loss ones... I had to search for a while before I found the classic format, and they've gone and messed with it. Should I call the 1-800 number on the back and complain?