Random Thoughts....

Jaguar XK, TVR Sagaris, TVR T350. Though I don't understand why the Mini Cooper S isn't on the 'exempt' list.

er..it also exempts classic cars.

The Jaguar XK is banned, all of them are V8s. The TVRs though, theres a point. Someone buy a Sagaris and see if the police notice! :lol:

Last edited:
and that's half the issue I have, with people that think there is no difference driving a 1.5L and a 270kw v8 commodore...

Do you read? People crash with 1L shitboxes, so it evidently makes no difference what people drive, people still crash.

no, high powered cars and drivers with fuck all experience generally doesn't end well

So your suggestion is to give people experience driving high power vehicles by getting them into low power vehicles, which you said on your own admission are different to drive? What possible good would that do? post poning the learning of something to their 20s is the wrong way of going about it, you don't train good formula 1 drivers by giving them a corolla to they are 20 and then handing them the keys to the f1 car and expect them to magically know how to do it. To be good at something you have to learn it young, which is the exact opposite of our current system.

The fact is Australia is the only Western country that has these draconian driving laws, and despite this, our roads are not safer then they are in other nations. All they do is limit personal freedom and I find it pretty shocking you support this.

Sometimes driving laws are not for their stated purpose, nor what they seem - case in point speed cameras, "Safety Cameras" my Arse - "Raising Money Cameras" more like.

Not that anyone here will care, but I was at a bloody good party yesturday because of this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10192518.stm
With her runaway victory at the Eurovision Song Contest, German teenager Lena has ushered in a new era for the annual music jamboree.
Not only has she signalled an end to a politically-motivated, 13-year losing streak for the "big four" countries who help fund the competition, but her winning song, Satellite, has reclaimed the contest's musical credibility. With echoes of Lily Allen and Paloma Faith, it is the first contemporary pop hit Eurovision has produced in decades.
And Lena was not alone in embracing the charts, with the top three songs all displaying a welcome maturity.
Turkey's entrants, maNga, are a nu metal band who picked up an MTV Award last year; while Belgian singer-songwriter Tom Dice moulded his song on the hit singles of David Gray and James Morrison.[...]But amidst all the hotpants, fireworks and questionable haircuts (I'm looking at you, Serbia) it was a lone 19-year-old pop singer who made the biggest impression.
Lena had no complicated choreography, no inexplicable backing dancers and she wore a simple black dress - the sort of thing you could pick up tomorrow in any high street store. Her refreshingly direct performance reflected a vivacious, playful personality.[...]
At the other end of the scale, UK entrant Josh Dubovie will be drowning his sorrows after taking last place, with a measly 10 points. His fatal mistake was to cling stoically to decades-old Eurovision cliche, in a year when the contest finally dragged itself into the 21st Century. That Sounds Good To Me was written by Pete Waterman and Mike Stock - bankable hitmakers in their heyday, but that heyday was 20 years ago, and their song sounded like it had been pulled off a shelf marked "Jason Donovan rejects (1988)".
By contrast, Julia Frost, who co-wrote Lena's song, works for RedZone entertainment - the US company responsible for Rihanna's Umbrella and Britney Spears' Me Against The Music.
or short: 19 year old nobody that can?t sing or do a stage-performace wins the worlds biggest music contest with contemporary pop-song ...

lena.jpg

haters.jpg

Last edited:
Two massive storms in the space of literally 4 hours around here... it's still raining after the second one and it chucked hail down for about 20 minutes earlier. Streets are flooded.

Two massive storms in the space of literally 4 hours around here... it's still raining after the second one and it chucked hail down for about 20 minutes earlier. Streets are flooded.

So, Romania is like Houston in the late spring and late summer/early fall, then.

For fuck's sake.

Yesterday in Oxfam, I was helping this lady who was looking for a dress for a wedding. I spent barely 10 minutes with her, went to the back about twice to get some dresses.

Meanwhile, my 2 co-workers were motioning at me to get away from her, and one co-worker roared to me that the manager wanted to talk to be in the back, so pretty much everyone in the shop thought I was in trouble for something. She later told me that she was just "trying to rescue" me.

Later on, the lady was paying for her things, (at the time, just a book, she said she would come back later to try on another dress), and she then started humming and hawwing about trying it on there instead. The lady behind the counter started making faces at her, and I gave her a bit of a look. She misconstrued this look, and thought I was making the face about the customer, and she then said, RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CUSTOMER "Have patience, girl! Have patience!", then started nattering to the other girl about how ridiculous the whole thing was.

The customer, meanwhile, she blushed a little, and I was all apologetic, and reassured her that it was no problem at all. She then quickly tried on the dress, found it was too big, and left.

Argh. Obnoxious co-workers :mad:

Do you read? People crash with 1L shitboxes, so it evidently makes no difference what people drive, people still crash.

So your suggestion is to give people experience driving high power vehicles by getting them into low power vehicles, which you said on your own admission are different to drive? What possible good would that do? post poning the learning of something to their 20s is the wrong way of going about it, you don't train good formula 1 drivers by giving them a corolla to they are 20 and then handing them the keys to the f1 car and expect them to magically know how to do it. To be good at something you have to learn it young, which is the exact opposite of our current system.

The fact is Australia is the only Western country that has these draconian driving laws, and despite this, our roads are not safer then they are in other nations. All they do is limit personal freedom and I find it pretty shocking you support this.

I get it that you don't like it, pretty much every 18 year old does (as did I) but I still don't think it's wise handing a high powered car to a young person. Yeah, you might be a pro race driver that can handle a high powered car but there is plenty of shit for brains that will attempt to show off to their mates and go sideways into a tree.

I can tell you the exact reasoning behind these laws, if they save one life then they believe it's acheived what it's set out to acheive

and yes people will still crash, just hopefully less of them

Last edited:
The speed restrictions are ridiculous, especially for L-platers. Why restrict them to 80km/h when they have a supervising adult in the car, given that the moment they're in the car on their own on their Ps they'll do 110+km/h, restrictions or not. Its like saying, "yes, I'll teach you to cook baked beans in a microwave. Now I'll leave and you make soufle." They won't have the experience, so its no wonder it often goes wrong.

I actually consider them dangerous- driving on a freeway at 30km/h under the limit is damn near suicide, what with all the idiots going 10 over the normal limit anyway cutting you off and driving right up your rear. And I stick to my P-plate limit (100km/h, yay!), although I've only had very few opportunities where 110km/h was a posted speed limit.

From the RTA vehicle restrictions list:

And it seems they have some sense, obviously after a number of complaints:

Yeah, but that's a list of vehicles that may be exempt after applying. The 2 really old things (Suzuki Cappucino???) are the only ones that are universally exempt. I've still read and heard of people with little engines that are turboed being refused exemption because the moronic person at the counter saw the phrase "turbocharger" and atuomatically thought boyracer/mega-pimped car. I think you should have to get a letter from a dealer/mechanic saying the car hasn't been modified and is safe for a young driver to drive, and the RTA can only refuse/dispute if they think it's fraud/you paid somebody off.

no, high powered cars and drivers with fuck all experience generally doesn't end well

Have to say, agreed, but the system is stupid. Yes, young drivers shouldn't be allowed in mega-powered RWD V8's, but don't make it so that the new efficient engines aren't allowed but mega powered turbodiesels are. Also, restrictions should be there for learners also- yes, they are being supervised but make it more consistent FFS. A kid hitting the accelerator instead of the brake is more likely in your first few hours and doing it in daddy's FPV could spell disaster.

We were meant to get a massive storm here like we got around this time 3 years ago. Start of the storm kept getting pushed back until they basically gave up and said "yeah, wekinda exaggerated sorry". And they moved all the coal ships away from the shore and everything :lol:

In other news, I have just gone over my download limit for the month. Again. With 10 days to go. Can anybody say 8 KB/s max speed? GAAAAAAAH!!!!!! :cry:

EDIT: I also have a cold, thanks to my sister. The week before uni end of semester exams. I haven't started studying yet, and my desire to start has become negative. Eep.

Last edited:
I can tell you the exact reasoning behind these laws, if they save one life then they believe it's acheived what it's set out to acheive

That is a very poor reasoning for the existance of a law. Using that reasoning, we can rationalise many stupid laws. I saw we ban electric tooth brushes because all that plugging in of electrical devices near a basin is very dangerous. Saving one person does not a success make, only in Australia can we say the Thredbo rescue was a success because we managed to save one person.

That is a very poor reasoning for the existance of a law. Using that reasoning, we can rationalise many stupid laws. I saw we ban electric tooth brushes because all that plugging in of electrical devices near a basin is very dangerous. Saving one person does not a success make, only in Australia can we say the Thredbo rescue was a success because we managed to save one person.

Didn't you guys do a study that determined that your more restrictive laws had, in fact, done absolutely nothing for the accident rate? I vaguely remember coming across something like that about eight months ago.

Didn't you guys do a study that determined that your more restrictive laws had, in fact, done absolutely nothing for the accident rate? I vaguely remember coming across something like that about eight months ago.

The only thing I can think is that the Northern Territory death rates went up after the introduction of speed limits.

The only thing I can think is that the Northern Territory death rates went up after the introduction of speed limits.

I can't stop thinking about flying boats atm. Help.

While I work at the PC, I'm sitting with my back to the window, which is tilted to let some air in.

So while I typed a post for the forum, I suddenly noticed loud quacking of ducks just below my window. I turned around and saw my cat Blacky sitting on the window sill, apparently looking down at the ducks, following their movements.

At first I thought the ducks were mocking him, because he cannot get out and chase after them. But then my Blacky started making noises, too, and a kind of dialogue between ducks and cat developed.

I finally got curious enough to stand up and looked outside and saw, that when the ducks went to the right, my cat followed and when my cat went to the left, the ducks folowed him, too. There was no duck feeding by a neighbor or such stuff, just ducks and a cat mimicking movement and kinda having a coversation through the open window. Cackling outside and whining and cooing on the inside.

I now strongly suspect, that cats and ducks are plotting against humanity.

Last edited:
I have a realy rough day ahead of me at work tomorrow, and quite possibly a rough week.....I realy do not feel like it at the moment.

If it makes you feel any better, I have allergies, a migraine, haven't slept all night, my eyes hurt, and am bracing myself for a killer fever that's building steam.

Okay, I've acted like a complete moron/faggot/poofta/etc. in the last few days and I'm very sorry.

I don't really know where else to put this, but I really want to apologise for my general idiocy.

I hope the good members of FG will forgive me.