Whoa!!! GIANT sinkhole in Guatemala

where has everything gone? it looks like at the bottom of it there is just nothing...

I think the photo is deceiving. When I looked at it on my work PC it looked bottomless, but on this one I can see what appears to be the pile of rubble and dirt, which is the whole of the dark patch. On here at least there is a clear line. Apparently there are rumours that it's 'shopped, don't know why anyone would think that. :|

On another forum, this has turned into a full blown gravitation physics assault on the hole.

How it got to that point, I have no clue.

DAMN!! Thank God we don't have anything that serious over here. As for how it was caused, Soil liquefaction?

DAMN!! Thank God we don't have anything that serious over here. As for how it was caused, Soil liquefaction?

Reading up a bit on it, it could have been caused by water seeping into the pavement and moving the soil into broken sewage pipes. Still doesn't explain the near perfect roundness.

Edit: A Google Image search of sinkhole reveals this:

sinkhole-jpg.jpeg

That must be one hell of a sight to be greeted by when you get back home from work.

Last edited:
actually from a video gamer viewpoint it reminds me a lot of the plot in Gears of War 2 (what little plot there is) where cities begin disappearing into the ground.
although i do think the Galactus picture is far more apt.

Galactus would not just sample, he would take a substantial bite to test for succour, taste and chewiness :p

Isn't the roundness an effect of fractal geometry or whatever, where things look more perfect from a distance but when you zoom in they become a series of smaller pieces that aren't? The classic example is a coastline that looks straight from space but is really a series of infinitely smaller angled lines? The sinkhole doesn't look nearly so round from the closer view.

Isn't the roundness an effect of fractal geometry or whatever, where things look more perfect from a distance but when you zoom in they become a series of smaller pieces that aren't? The classic example is a coastline that looks straight from space but is really a series of infinitely smaller angled lines? The sinkhole doesn't look nearly so round from the closer view.

Possibly, although I'm not too sure.

Fuck, how would you even fix that?

The hole is 30x60m apparently for all you who wondered just how massive this huge hole is.