Random Thoughts....

They have to use refridgerated coffee in an iced coffee or other cold drinks. If you poured hot coffee into a cup of ice, you'd get a cup of watered-down room-temperature coffee.

Right, and I get the whole temperature aspect. You'd never get a good iced coffee by starting with hot coffee. But when they pull out that water pitcher filled with light brown brew, you can't help but get a sense of "man when did they make that?".

Had they pulled out a pitcher of black I could at least think "yeah they must have brewed that about an hour ago and chilled it down".

We have Starbucks on base here and it's the usual barely-fit-for-human-consumption crap you get all over the states. But go to a local Japanese Starbucks and...oh...my...wow! I took a drink and I jizzed in my pants. It's seriously some of the best coffee I've ever had and I'm not easily impressed with my brews. I think it's because the Japanese actually take pride in their work instead of just throwing together the ingredients according to the instructions.

I totally believe you. My mom just returned from Japan and wishes that she be born a Japanese person in her next life. She was very very humbled by the politeness, respect, confidence, and value & pride in their work the Japanese people have. I remember people being trained in one of the starbucks my berkeley roommate and I frequented a few years ago. He was constantly checking the recipe (and that's fine, you have to learn). But then weeks and even a month into it, he was still looking at the recipe book for simple stuff. It's just formulaic.

They over roast their beans. It's the easy way to get consistent flavor out of the beans. More attentive and well trained staff could easily roast the beans correctly. But your average commercial-coffee-place barista doesn't really care about coffee.

Yep.

A friend of mine is moving to Port Macquarie, NSW...any opinions on the place from our resident Aussies?
I don't have much experience with Port Maquarie, but it is a fairly nice place, albeit slightly boring. How long are they going to be there for?
Holy sheep, it just started bucketing down in epic proportions here!!!! :jawdrop:
Yep, it did that here about 10 minutes before you posted that :). Great thing was, I was outdoors with no source of cover at the time. Got completely soaked before crossing a street 4cm deep in water and taking refuge in a shop.

One of my friends on Facebook is having a whinge about some photos from an event I posted a year ago.
[...]
This has caused the pics to pop up on her page, so her brother sent an email demanding I remove the pictures as they are now "unnecessary" (there are 2 pictures where his now ex-girlfriend appears).
Am I wrong in feeling it's rude of him to demand I delete them "or else"?
It's MY page, they're MY photos, at an event that was held for me and the other girls that were heading off OS for a holiday together.
It is HIS face, HIS privacy. He has rights, you know? Maybe he is acting childish, maybe you don't agree with his reasons, but he is entitled to his privacy. This has nothing to do with it being your camera, your party or anything. If he wants the photo he's in taken down, you have to oblige...

This is why facebook is ridiculous. It over complicates simple things. Like friendship, for example.
...but most of all, THIS.

Last edited:
So here I am five hours from going into work on my Friday and so far this week I'm going on a grand total of maybe 12 hours of sleep. I don't know what the hell has been going on with my sleep cycles because I have no problem passing out but four hours later I wake up and can't fall back asleep. When I try to pass out again I'm tired but for some reason I'm not sleepy. WTF??

Then today when it finally seemed like I was going to get a decent night's sleep the fire alarm went off 3 hours into it because they're doing some work on the system. :mad:

Hmm. Suddenly the touch-pad on my laptop is even more borked than it used to be. It used to randomly just quit working sometimes, making me either have to restart or plug in a USB mouse to have a working mouse again. I tried updating the drivers last night and now they've all just disappeared. The touch-pad still works, but it is less functional than before - it used to have scroll capabilities. Now all it does is move the mouse and tap-to-click. Buggery, now I have to go find the correct drivers again and try to fix it. Not having my scrolling touch-pad drives me absolutely bonkers.

Today is Happy Cadaver! An official Holiday ... for about half the country! That means that the pile of work on my desk will be 1,5 times as big as usual tomorrow ... and it will take me untill Tuesday to get back to normal. Isn?t that something to look forward to? Thank you non consistent christian holiday! :(

zombie-jesus-day.jpg

I just burnt the roof of my mouth on hot beef mince and sauce 'cause my dinner went cold too fast and so I re-warmed it in the microwave. I've obviously put it in for longer than it needed. Me = stupid.

I've had one of 'those' days. I also totally tripped over a chair coming into the classroom after lunch...and everyone saw it. I swear my face is still reddish from the embarrassment. Hoping tomorrow will be better, it's all can hope for. :lol:

Hmm. Suddenly the touch-pad on my laptop is even more borked than it used to be. It used to randomly just quit working sometimes, making me either have to restart or plug in a USB mouse to have a working mouse again. I tried updating the drivers last night and now they've all just disappeared. The touch-pad still works, but it is less functional than before - it used to have scroll capabilities. Now all it does is move the mouse and tap-to-click. Buggery, now I have to go find the correct drivers again and try to fix it. Not having my scrolling touch-pad drives me absolutely bonkers.
Assuming you're on windows go to Control Panel --> System --> Hardware --> Hardware-Manager (Device Manager? Whatever), find your pointing device, click on "update drivers" and manually point the compter to wherever you unzipped the new touchpad drivers.

Assuming you're on windows go to Control Panel --> System --> Hardware --> Hardware-Manager (Device Manager? Whatever), find your pointing device, click on "update drivers" and manually point the compter to wherever you unzipped the new touchpad drivers.

Well, I have Vista, and its retarded, and I tried that, but it just simply showed up as if my touch-pad didn't exist. It showed my USB mouse which wasn't even connected, and that was it. I managed to get my drivers back from the Acer website however, and everything is working now. Yay :)

It is HIS face, HIS privacy. He has rights, you know? Maybe he is acting childish, maybe you don't agree with his reasons, but he is entitled to his privacy. This has nothing to do with it being your camera, your party or anything. If he wants the photo he's in taken down, you have to oblige...

...but most of all, THIS.
I don't have to oblige him anything. They're not going anywhere. He can carry on like the little girl he is, or grow the hell up and get over it.
By tomorrow they'll have disappeared off his sister's page, and he'll forget they exist, just like he has for the last 12 months.

As the photographer, I have copyright of the photos, and am entitled to publish/distribute them as I see fit. He consented to this by allowing himself to be photographed.

I don't have to oblige him anything. They're not going anywhere. He can carry on like the little girl he is, or grow the hell up and get over it.
By tomorrow they'll have disappeared off his sister's page, and he'll forget they exist, just like he has for the last 12 months.

As the photographer, I have copyright of the photos, and am entitled to publish/distribute them as I see fit. He consented to this by allowing himself to be photographed.

I do not believe you do, but I'm sure nomix can inform us of the law.

If he is complaining about other people's images being used (i.e. photos of them being posted by you), then yes, you have every right to keep them up as long as you have thier permission. However, the subject of the photo (under Australian law) still has right over the use of their image, including permission to both allow and revoke the right to publish it. So if this guy is kicking up a stink over a photo he is in, by law you have to take it down. If he was to kcomplain to any authority (most likely Facebook), they would side with him.

Last edited:

At least here photographing anyone in public and publishing is allowed without permission if it doesn't invade their privacy. Public places are everything anyone can have access, even night clubs or bars if it's not a private event, so it really depends what sort of context and pictures we are talking about. Usually it's not ok to publish someone if they tell you not to.

This is how it's over here, crazy Australia might of course be crazy.

edit. Well that clears it up then.

Last edited:
At least here photographing anyone in public and publishing is allowed without permission if it doesn't invade their privacy. Public places are everything anyone can have access, even night clubs or bars if it's not a private event, so it really depends what sort of context and pictures we are talking about. Usually it's not ok to publish someone if they tell you not to.

This is how it's over here, crazy Australia might of course be crazy.

edit. Well that clears it up then.

Big edit:
OK, basically the Australian law is crap. You are kinda-sorta covered against the use of your image based on how the image was used by various areas of law- copyright, inttelectual property, privacy or tort (defamation). Applying it to each circumstance is tricky, but some courts have taken to using the Privacy act recently to interpret similar cases. Basically, permission is needed with an advisory of what the images are to be used for. However, this hasn't become precedent fully yet and it still gets kinda murky. Basically, you have to have a decent reason or wanting a photo to be not publised/taken down.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/s...R/1999/59.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=photo* Good read on the topic there, how we really don't have much protecting us :(

Long story short- as per usual in the Australian system, there are about 5 different laws doing a crappy job requiring much interpretation on a case by case basis. It's really impossible to know what would be the reaction to each case before a judge decides. However, I do remember a case that a guy in my legal class' dad (I know, I know) defended a kid who posted a picture of his ex's.... downstairs region on Facebook for all to see after they broke up. He got done for breach of privacy on the photo and defamation as to what he wrote with it. Completely different facts I know, but it shows Facebook is beginning to be seen in some court cases in relation to people's privacy.

Anyway, I would say Facebook would have policy to remove images when people ask for it with a legitimate reason. I have had a couple of photos of me removed by Facebook from friend's profiles as they showed me in my school uniform (which has a crest on it which identified the school, so it would have been pretty easy for somebody to see that and track me down if they wanted to). Not being paranoid or anything, but I like to keep my privacy as intact on the internet as possible.

Last edited:
If he is complaining about other people's images being used (i.e. photos of them being posted by you), then yes, you have every right to keep them up as long as you have thier permission. However, the subject of the photo (under Australian law) still has right over the use of their image, including permission to both allow and revoke the right to publish it. So if this guy is kicking up a stink over a photo he is in, by law you have to take it down. If he was to kcomplain to any authority (most likely Facebook), they would side with him.

And apart from this, it's the decent thing to do. But decency is not everyone's strong side.

misrabelle said:
See, that's not how it works. At least in the EU (and judging from the above, in Australia, too), someone who has a substatial part in creating a piece of work (in this case, by being in a photo), has to waive his rights in writing.

Last edited:
How can I convince my Dad that our computer downstairs (a 5 year old cheap branded PC bought from Target) just can't handle the internet because it's too good for the computer? He still believes that there is a problem with the settings and yes, there may be a problem, but I just wished that he admitted defeat and started saving for a new one.

How can I convince my Dad that our computer downstairs (a 5 year old cheap branded PC bought from Target) just can't handle the internet because it's too good for the computer? He still believes that there is a problem with the settings and yes, there may be a problem, but I just wished that he admitted defeat and started saving for a new one.

Try playing a 720p video on it. Let him see it crash and burn. That (well, actually, a standard-def video in this case) convinced my dad to upgrade to the Dell he has now (5 years ago!)