Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

That's not a dual core. That's two processors (it doesn't say which Xenon, but based on the rest of the specs, I'd suspect Pentium 4 era if not earlier). Basically that's a really old server/workstation. Not a gaming machine, probably doesn't have much room for upgrading. It will use an old, slow type of RAM, for example, and may not be able to take much more than it has.

Since you're replacing so many components its not really worth it, you're better off spending the money on a processor/motherboard/case combo (which is everything useful you'd get out of that computer).

ecollegepc.com is a good site for putting together a low budget gaming PC (sketchy name nonwithstanding). You pick your components and they build it.

Last edited:
While that is a good price, server cpus are better suited for server duty. They'll work fine for what you want, but it'll consume a lot of electricity, and with the bit more you'll have to spend to update machine you might be better off finding or building a new, low-end machine.

EDIT: ^What he said.

Last edited:
Thanks I didn't see server anywhere in their description but the weight kind of made me think it was a server. I was kind of hoping it was an old auto cad workstation or something as we used to use those for gaming back when I was in engineering school They did pretty well as they had decent specs and graphics cards for the autocad software.

That description isn't very good, but it does say workstation. The lines between home desktop/workstation/server are blurring nowadays but regardless it's pretty old and really isn't made for what you want to do with it. It might not even have PCI Express for a good video card.

For that kind of money you can easily get a midrange processor, cheap motherboard, and cheap case for a budget gaming PC.

If anyone on here is interested, I will be selling my Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4 (Enthusiast Socket 775 mobo) + Wolfdale E8400 + 4GB Patriot Viper DDR2 + Tuniq Tower 120 (Huge CPU Heatsink) this summer. It's been overclocked for most of its lifetime but it's absolutely rock solid stable at stock clocks. It's a very nice setup that can handle all games I've thrown at it (with my 4890s) easily.

I'd like around $250, but price is negotiable, and that would include shipping and a money-back-if-it-explodes warranty

Last edited:
That description isn't very good, but it does say workstation. The lines between home desktop/workstation/server are blurring nowadays but regardless it's pretty old and really isn't made for what you want to do with it. It might not even have PCI Express for a good video card.

For that kind of money you can easily get a midrange processor, cheap motherboard, and cheap case for a budget gaming PC.

The guys at UTC got back to me and it is supposed to have a PCI express slot but if it isn't real dual core I am not going to bother. I got to get my wife a cheapish laptop to finish writing her book on first anyway before I get something for myself. She has notebooks, like actually paper notebooks, full of rough drafts and a manuscript now but needs a little netbook type PC to finish it.

If anyone on here is interested, I will be selling my Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4 (Enthusiast Socket 775 mobo) + Wolfdale E8400 + 4GB Patriot Viper DDR2 + Tuniq Tower 120 (Huge CPU Heatsink) this summer. It's been overclocked for most of its lifetime but it's absolutely rock solid stable at stock clocks. It's a very nice setup that can handle all games I've thrown at it (with my 4890s) easily.

I'd like around $250, but price is negotiable, and that would include shipping and a money-back-if-it-explodes warranty

You got a PM coming soon.

is it crazy that, perceptively, my JVC HA-RX700s sound like 3x better with incredibly better bass when routed through my Onkyo TX-DS484 Reciever fed by S/PDIF off of my computer versus just being plugged in to my computer?

lian-li-t1-spider-case.jpg

Video of it moving here.

I really want one that's fully wireless that just walks around and hangs out with the cats and such till it needs to recharge.

Finally pulled the trigger on a computer purchase, Dell Studio XPS 7100, should be here on the 24th. I'm pretty pumped!

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/ch/chaos386/2010/06/05/sE77W.png

Haven't seen that in a long time :p

And on the other corner my computer turns ON by ITSELF! I have no idea why it does this.
Yesterday at night I turned it off (100% sure, no I have not been drinking :p) and when I woke up this morning, its on. I had a class in the morning so I turned it off again and when I came back home the computer is on again. Now im sure that no one else has used the computer because no one was in the house in the morning....:?
So decided to check the BIOS and In "Power Management" I noticed a "Turn on by LAN" and Turn on by PCI" Both were enabled so I disabled them. Lets see how this goes now....

This never happened before....:?

Last edited:
Haven't seen that in a long time :p

And on the other corner my computer turns ON by ITSELF! I have no idea why it does this.
Yesterday at night I turned it off (100% sure, no I have not been drinking :p) and when I woke up this morning, its on. I had a class in the morning so I turned it off again and when I came back home the computer is on again. Now im sure that no one else has used the computer because no one was in the house in the morning....:?
So decided to check the BIOS and In "Power Management" I noticed a "Turn on by LAN" and Turn on by PCI" Both were enabled so I disabled them. Lets see how this goes now....

This never happened before....:?

i have experienced this before as well... in my case it was some update being scheduled at night which turned the PC on... still creepy :? didn't know why or how it worked, but figured it out in the end :)

Hmm there is this update to a Ask toolbar (Which I never use or installed) at 1.00AM. I deleted it. It might be the case but that does not explain why it turned on in the morning...:?