FinalGear Ringmeet 2010 - 14th-15th August 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
And exactly HOW would a helmet help me when I get T-boned and subsequently trapped inside the car? Last time I checked helmets do nothing for my torso. I appreciate your concern, but right now this comes across as another one of your badly veiled attention whoring attempts.

And exactly HOW would a helmet help me when I get T-boned and subsequently trapped inside the car? Last time I checked helmets do nothing for my torso. I appreciate your concern, but right now this comes across as another one of your badly veiled attention whoring attempts.

lkzyz89efm_clap.gif

Thank you for telling him too.

I heard about the accident, didn?t know Dino was involved though. Glad he?s okay, and hoping everyone else will leave the hospital without permanent damage...

And despite any personal differences you guys may have, a helmet is always a good idea, even if it?s just one of those simple 29? open face things for scooters. It may not protect your torso, but it protects your head. Last year I had a passenger who didn?t want to wear a helmet even though I actually happened to have a spare with me that day (i?m thinking he didn?t want to mess up his hair), which in retrospect kind of pissed me off. Especially considering the fact that there were some issues with fluids on the track on the lap...

This might be true for stripped out cars, but my car still has all it's airbags and no rollcage to hit your head on, so I prefer to rely on the safety which the manufacturer planned....................

I have no idea how a helmet would work with my car's curtain airbags, whether or not it will be to my benefit or not. I do plan on bringing a helmet, however for when I take a ride in other people's car with fewer bags than mine.

As far as safety goes my car is also completely stock apart from the seats. A helmet is never a bad idea...

Could we perhaps cut the crap now and go back to ringmeet planning?

As an example of yesterdays activity: Running parts of the old S?dschleife :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The S?dschleife will probably not make it as part of the route, mostly because it means going past the grandstands and grandstand parkinglots, which will probably be crowded to hell.

It's starting to look like I'm definitely taking part.

My ride is still a questionmark. I probably won't own a car by then or have a chance to take it there even if I do, so it's either flying or hitching a ride from public or Bromic.

edit: Any experience on renting cars at&near the ring? Something semi-fast, like a BMW 330ci or Porsche Boxster.

Last edited:
Any experience on renting cars at&near the ring? Something semi-fast, like a BMW 330ci or Porsche Boxster.
you can just about rent any of the ones you mentioned, but it?ll be at least like 1000?/day

edit: ok the 330 is only 700? at rent-racecar...

Last edited:
Any experience on renting cars at&near the ring? Something semi-fast, like a BMW 330ci or Porsche Boxster.
You can rent prepped cars (ask rootrider for example), but that's expensive. "Normal" rental car companies explicitly forbid driving on the Ring, and if you get caught or worse, if you have an accident, things will get unpleasant.

you can just about rent any of the ones you mentioned, but it?ll be at least like 1000?/day

Well, rent-racecar rents racecars (hence the name) or at least cars which are better suited for the ring than other companies since there is a rollcage, bucket seats, upgraded brakes etc. on all of their cars. On the other hand, as DanRoM already wrote, most rental companies forbid driving on the 'ring with their cars.

A BMW 630i is 180?/day from Sixt, but you need to be at least 25 years old, and you're pretty much on your own if anything happens while you're on the 'ring, though.

EDIT: I thought that rental companies couldn't *officially* forbid you from driving on the N?rburgring, since it's a public road and all, just that any insurance would be void, and they'd charge you up the ass if they saw the tires/brakes were worn.

Last edited:
Well guys, the question you have to ask yourself here is the following:

Do you have the self control not to go flatout in a fast car on the Ring? It will be your first ever lap, and if you shed out so much money for a rental car you WILL flog it, crash, be ridiculed, become Finalgear meme.

Why not just go with one of the Rent4Ring Suzuki Swifts?

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/info/rentals-for-the-nordschleife.html

The small one should deliver lots and lots of fun for cheap money.

As well, the ring is a private toll road, and the owners strictly FORBID rental cars (except Ring rentals), so they won't even let you on the track......

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I guess I shoulda mentioned that driving on the ring with a rental car isn't my plan. Just you know, drive around on b-roads, hang around and stuff. I'm not really mentally prepared to take ANY car to the nordschleife.

A BMW 630i is 180?/day from Sixt, but you need to be at least 25 years old, and you're pretty much on your own if anything happens while you're on the 'ring, though.

A 630i would be EXCELLENT. .. More info on Sixt and any rental places you know of, please?

Last edited:
Sixt's website (edit: Dammit, Adu! :lol:)

I've booked a 3er station wagon from them for the ringmeet (though I don't plan on taking it around, either), but it's my first time renting from them, so I don't have any personal experiences to share. My main reason for choosing them was that their website is the most straightforward with regards to one-way fees and age requirements for each vehicle "class" (they don't guarantee a specific model, btw, so it's a 630i "or similar").

I'm sure the locals can share some anecdotes. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.