Jalopnik: Yes, Cars Are Getting Fatter

This is why I HATE Jalopnik. Yes, cars are getting fatter, but for two very good reasons: they are getting safer and more comfortable.

I meant non specialty. Back in the day you could buy an MGB or TR7 for an affordable price (both weigh 2,000lbs). The Datsun 240Z wasn't far off that. The last car to fill that niche was the first gen MX5, since then it has been forced to 2,800lbs.

To be fair, the market just doesn't exist anymore for light sports cars at that point. You can pick up used stuff nowadays at those weights at way cheaper than what's new. Look at my MR2, which weighed about 2100 pounds, was the same price as a Miata, and was discontinued a few years ago.

I meant non specialty. Back in the day you could buy an MGB or TR7 for an affordable price (both weigh 2,000lbs). The Datsun 240Z wasn't far off that. The last car to fill that niche was the first gen MX5, since then it has been forced to 2,800lbs.

When a small manufacturer is able to make a light sports car that fits the regulations then we can't really blame the regulations for killing off light sports cars.

Lotus isn't exactly using cheap materials.

Lotus isn't exactly using cheap materials.

Fibreglass body, Aluminium chassis. Cheapest? No. Insanely expensive? No. Only manufacturer using those materials? No.
Take a Corvette, doesn't that have a fibreglass body? Aluminium chassis on the Z06/ZR1?

Obviously, there are cheaper ways to make a car. Walking is also cheaper. Considered riding a bicycle to save money? I guess not.

Take a Corvette, doesn't that have a fibreglass body? Aluminium chassis on the Z06/ZR1?
Well, in the Corvette the engine alone weighs as much as the whole Lotus so it's pointless to try building a light bodywork around it... xD

The last car to fill that niche was the first gen MX5, since then it has been forced to 2,800lbs.
Where are you seeing the new Miata is 2,800lbs? It's curb weight is listed at 2,410lbs, which is as much as a fifth-gen (i.e. mid-90s) Civic. If anything, the Miata pokes a bigger hole in your gripe than a Lotus.

Also, a 1994 Miata (with the 1.8) had a 16.79lb/hp power/weight ratio. The new Miata makes 14.18lb/hp.

Fibreglass body, Aluminium chassis. Cheapest? No. Insanely expensive? No. Only manufacturer using those materials? No.

Obviously, there are cheaper ways to make a car. Walking is also cheaper. Considered riding a bicycle to save money? I guess not.

The Lotus has a welded chassis. The Corvette costs about the same as the Lotus.

Well, in the Corvette the engine alone weighs as much as the whole Lotus so it's pointless to try building a light bodywork around it... xD

The LSx series of engines weigh ~430lbs (about the same as an iron 4 pot). Displacement has little relation to weight.

Where are you seeing the new Miata is 2,800lbs? It's curb weight is listed at 2,410lbs, which is as much as a fifth-gen (i.e. mid-90s) Civic. If anything, the Miata pokes a bigger hole in your gripe than a Lotus.

Also, a 1994 Miata (with the 1.8) had a 16.79lb/hp power/weight ratio. The new Miata makes 14.18lb/hp.

Whoops my bad. I swore it was 2,800lbs, looks like I was wrong. I stand corrected, Mazda is holding the torch for cheap and light.

The LSx series of engines weigh ~430lbs (about the same as an iron 4 pot). Displacement has little relation to weight.
Well, I must have forgotten the irony-tags, I thought they were clearly visible with the smily at the end...

Well, I must have forgotten the irony-tags, I thought they were clearly visible with the smily at the end...

What was the point of irony there?

Irony tags don't work with aluminum blocks :p. Many of us, myself included, are tired of Corvette jokes, is all.

Sure, cars weigh more than they used to. This is because safety engineering is a priority now, along with gizmos and stuff to make the car faster. If you want really light transportation, go on a horse. :p Engineering to lighten cars will come round, it's just a bit late to the party.

Sure, cars weigh more than they used to. This is because safety engineering is a priority now, along with gizmos and stuff to make the car faster. If you want really light transportation, go on a horse. :p Engineering to lighten cars will come round, it's just a bit late to the party.
It's having too much fun on the twisty b-roads, is all.

The Corvette costs about the same as the Lotus.

There you go then, for the price of a cheap yanktank you could instead get a lightweight sportscar :lol:

My serious point was: The Lotus is not using any space-age exotica such as carbotanium, titbon, etc.

13146media1.jpeg