The Men's Grooming Omnibus

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
No, this isn't about being effeminate or metrosexual; it's about being well-groomed. Be it hair, shaving, deodorant, whatever.

I've been shaving with a Braun electric shaver. The problem is that I hate shaving. I mean I really hate shaving, to the point that I don't so much shave as trim by stubble to a more acceptable length. I've decided to try a blade, which will be new for me.

So what blades/brands do you guys like? What shaving foam/gel is best in your mind? (And don't say buy a straight-blade, that might happen down the road, but not today).

Feel free to post anything else about grooming in this thread.

I have used the regular mach 3 blades for years and they were very well but are just stupid expensive now. Last year I switched to the Schick extreme disposable razors as BJs almost always has a big old box of them on sale. One box will last me almost a year assuming my wife doesn't use them up on me. I tend to use the sensitive skin blades and the sensitive skin gilliete shaving gel as I get bad razor burn otherwise.

I use standard Gillette razors. I think the base model is called: Mach III Turbo. I shave right after I get out of the shower (don't need cream that way). I became disguested with electric razors long ago, they require maintenance and take longer.

I do have a bead trimmer for when I decide to go that route.

Mach 3 blades, and use Neutrogena shaving cream, and Neutrogena post shave lotion. Both work excellently for my very sensitive skin.

I trim my beard using a Waal beard and mustache trimmer, it is essentially a 3/4 sized clippers.

Mach 3, Gillette or Edge shaving cream, no aftershave.

Looks like Mach 3 is the general choice so far.

I tried shaving with one of these before...it was a bad idea. Nevertheless, I continue the trend of Mach 3 users. However, I use a Mach 3 power, I like the vibrations.

68022.jpg

Mach 3, Gillette or Edge shaving cream, no aftershave.

Looks like Mach 3 is the general choice so far.

+1, though as mentioned before, the Gillette blades are killing me in price, and I'm thinking of switching over to Schick. My roommate's already made that change.

I'll emphasise on the Edge gel. That stuff rocks.

Having said that, I've been really lazy for the past 6 months so I've just been trimming my beard... not even tidying it :lol:.

Also, I used to have a straight blade back in the day, but I lost it. I want to get another one, they are awesome.

I think I'm allergic to the metal in razor blades because no matter what combination of blade and cream I use I get horrible razor burn. We're talking enough bumps all over my face and neck that would make even the most acne-ridden teenager feel good about himself. So as a result I have to use an electric, which is fine with me. I use a wet/dry shaver in the shower with shaving cream and the results rival any blade. I also love the convenience of running the shaver over my face quickly on the weekends to trim down some of the stubble when a close shave really isn't all that important.

Razor nicks and cuts? What are those? :tease:

http://img401.imageshack.**/img401/259/mach3.jpg
http://img198.imageshack.**/img198/297/gilletteseriesshavefoam.jpg
http://img15.imageshack.**/img15/3705/300wyx.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.**/img156/4788/headshouldersshampoodry.jpg
http://img190.imageshack.**/img190/4981/oldspicehighendurancede.jpg

Awww yeeeeeaaah! :p

I've switched between the Mach 3 and the Fusion and there is really no noticeable difference, at least for me, since my face isn't overly sensitive to shaving. I use the Fusion sensitive skin shave gel though so maybe that's the difference.

Mach 3 here too.
Nivea shaving cream makes shaving much easier for me, but I have close to no facial hair.

Re: The Men's Grooming Omnibus

My questions to people here are:

1. how often do you shave ( not considering work/professionalism )
2. how quick do you get stubble if you shave in the start of the day
3. do you keep stubble or a full beard at work

1. Not often at all :lol:
2. If I shave at 7 am, the stubble can be felt by about 9pm, however, since facial hair is actually lighter than my scalp hair, it's not really noticeable till the next day.
3. Stubble grows into the full beard, and then I shave it down back to a stubble :lol:

I should shave every other day. In reality I shave once every four days.

Heritage wise, Greek/Croatian and British isles.

Hmm, seems like I'm the only one who doesn't use any shaving cream, I can seriously do a dry mach 3-ing every time and not feel the need for any more than a quick pat with a facecloth.

and +1 oldspice

1. Once a day.
2. Shave at 6am, stubble is clearly noticeable around 1-2pm. Seriously.
3. Clean shaven, goes with the military territory.

I make sure I'm clean-shaven for drill, but otherwise if I want to stay smooth-faced it's usually every 2 days when the hair gets noticeable. Between drill I let have lately been letting it all grow and use my normal razor to shave off gross neckbeard every few days when it gets too long.

philips_norelco_arcitec_1050cc.jpg

Gets the job done. I barely grow any facial hair, so once every two days still elevates me out of the realm of "sex offender" and into respectability. As a result, I can go 4 months with one hour-long charge.

Also:

old-spice-classic228707.jpg

Can't go wrong.

Last edited:
Hmm, seems like I'm the only one who doesn't use any shaving cream, I can seriously do a dry mach 3-ing every time and not feel the need for any more than a quick pat with a facecloth.

and +1 oldspice

Well, if I shave during the bath and the blade is new, I don?t really need to use shaving cream, but since I shave every 7-10 days, I usually use so it lasts longer.