FinalGear Ringmeet 2010 - 14th-15th August 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week Sixt gave me this dreadful golf (V) diesel, which consumed more diesel fuel than my 15 years old BMW and sounded like a tractor :( Instead of the fun little Twingo I wanted.

Last edited:
EDIT: I thought that rental companies couldn't *officially* forbid you from driving on the N?rburgring, since it's a public road and all,
Most of them don?t do it directly as far as I know, but they do usually have some clause about excessive wear on the car, and when you take a car to the ring it?ll be hard to prove the opposite.

just that any insurance would be void, and they'd charge you up the ass if they saw the tires/brakes were worn.
well... yes... that?s how they get you...

As well, the ring is a private toll road, and the owners strictly FORBID rental cars (except Ring rentals), so they won't even let you on the track......
First time I?m hearing of it. I?ve definitely seen hundreds of rentals on the ring, so this is either a brand new rule, or they?re extremely rubbish at enforcing it...

Yeah well it says NO RENTAL CARS on a huge sign at the entrance. As well, IF they check at the gate they will send you back, I have seen it happen, but normally they don't check :)

OK, I just read the general terms and conditions of Sixt and Europcar (hey, don't laugh!), they don't explicitly forbid using their cars on the 'ring, nor do they forbid taking their cars on "one way tollroads" (which the 'ring is). They forbid participation in motorsports events (which Touristenfahrten aren't) and you have to treat your car "gentle and professional" (that is the paragraph that would get you if you hoon around on the 'ring and/or crash there).

In the general terms and conditions for driving on the 'ring are only cars with transfer plates, short term plates and interchangeable licence plates for oldtimers ("07-plates") not allowed (cars on "H"-plates are however), but rental cars not explicitly forbidden. If there is a sign at the entrance it's something else, but I think that's just their insurance if something happens like "there is a huge sign, you didn't follow it, that's your problem".

Yeah well it says NO RENTAL CARS on a huge sign at the entrance. As well, IF they check at the gate they will send you back, I have seen it happen, but normally they don't check :)

never seen the sign... But I?ll look for it on sunday. Rental cars are really easy to spot though, so this must be a new rule. I only did one tourist session in 2010 so far, maybe I?m not up to date...

eh, who cares...

I don?t ever plan on taking a sixt car for a lap. I just wish they would stop idiotic tourists from doing so. They are annoying...

In the general terms and conditions for driving on the 'ring are only cars with transfer plates, short term plates and interchangeable licence plates for oldtimers ("07-plates") not allowed (cars on "H"-plates are however), but rental cars not explicitly forbidden.

*pfew* Feared they'd cheat me off my 20+ minute laptime cause of a technicality.

I'll join the Finnish invasion as well. :)

There is a rumor, that the car rental companies even pay a bounty if someone spots their cars on the ?ring and bill the renter wear&tear (around 1000 EUR) even if the car isn't damaged - but I have a strong deja-vu, that we discussed that topic prior to a another meet.

Greetings Michael

I definitely know that Europcar likes to hire photographers to hang around at the ring on the more populated weekends. To take pictures of "miets?nder" as one of them called it...

but I have a strong deja-vu, that we discussed that topic prior to a another meet.

We did, but I'd rather not see one of the ringmeet participants get a hefty bill for "wear & tear" because he didn't know about it.

Guys, there are too many Finns coming. We will be drunk all the time :/

And this is a bad thing, how exactly? :p From what I gather, the Finns will arrive at the campsite somewhere on thursday. I myself intend to go there firday morning. Maybe it's time we started making a list of who's coming (and when).

Guys, there are too many Finns coming. We will be drunk all the time :/

And this is a bad thing, how exactly?

This. I see myself cancelling my tour round the Ring due to Restalkohol ;)

I'll arrive on Friday or Saturday, depending on a variety of factors, among them my work schedule, my girlfriend's work schedule and general progress with my Ph.D.

Well, not everyone drinks so if you want to drink it's OK, but I have to warn you about my driving style... :p

I don't know when I'll be there, but I hope I can get the Friday off so I can be there Friday noon/afternoon.

I have no problem with driving to the ring with alcohol left in my blood (as long as below the legal limit) or a hangover. Driving on the Ring... that's another thing, i'd want to be on top of my game for this ;)

Last time I met a Finn, he barely had 1 beer. Drunk? Yeah, right. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.