Renault F1 Dyno

That would have been soo insanly noisey for anyone near by :shock2:
btw this should be in video offers..

I'm sure one of the mods will soon move it.
BTW, :shock: great sound .
Thanks for the link. Just thinking of a way to record it, now... :mrgreen:

didnt it say 160DB in the end? 160DB is insane, 120 is enough to blow out your eardrums. :evil:

Wow, that sounds healthy.

While I was in school today, I was wondering, how can the engine be at 18,000RPMS!?!? Thats so fast, its unimaginable.

The sound of an engine like this is among my favorite sounds.

jayjaya29 said:
Wow, that sounds healthy.

While I was in school today, I was wondering, how can the engine be at 18,000RPMS!?!? Thats so fast, its unimaginable.

The sound of an engine like this is among my favorite sounds.

an F1 Williams BMW motor runs sometimes at 19.000 RPM ;) that is 316 rps DAMN

edit: I was looking for this movie, Thanx

Well bike engines go up to like 14k, its all about what the crank and block and everything can handle. As well as a lot of other things i'm not mentioning.

"Revving to over 18,000 RPM a modern Formula One engine will consume a phenomenal 650 litres of air every second, with race fuel consumption typically around the 75 l/100 km (4 mpg) mark. Revving at such massive speeds equates to an accelerative force on the pistons of nearly 9000 times gravity. Unsurprisingly, engine failure remains one of the most common causes of retirement in races." http://www.formula1.com
Yes, but 9000 G, for the pistons :D

I'm sure none of the F1 teams wanna reveal true numbers for their engines, but what do you think the power output is like? BHP is around 800 but what about torque? That's a 3.0L V10 engine.

jayjaya29 said:
Well, F1 teams have a virtually unlimited budget for an engine, so it's simply a case of the best engineers working with the best materials at some of the best facilities in the world. They get to spend gross amounts of cash on minute details. Then there's the fact that an F1-engine only has to last an exact number of laps.

It's still hard to grasp, 800hp from an atmosferic 3 liter engine.

I'm sure none of the F1 teams wanna reveal true numbers for their engines, but what do you think the power output is like? BHP is around 800 but what about torque? That's a 3.0L V10 engine.
I think the torque figures might be dissapointing, since there is only so much air you can get into a small atmosferic engine, and thus so much fuel to burn.

Suppose the engine is engineered so well that at one particular stroke, 3 litres of air make it into the cylinders before the inlet valves close (I know this sounds dodgy, I actually mean: the amount of air in 3 litres at atmosferic pressure) . The air/fuel weight ratio for best performance is a fixed 12,6 to 1, so the amount of fuel that can be burned is also limited, hence: the specific torque per liter output of an engine is also limited.

I know, in real life it might be possible to achieve more than 100% volumetric efficiency (by getting the air to compress into the engine with a trick inlet, or whatever), but it's never going to be more than say 130%. An F1-engine gets its power from MAD revs.

If you know the power output at a specific engine speeds you can simply calculate the amount of torque, since torque, engine speed and power have a fixed relation. I'm not an engine builder or rocket scientist, so if I'm overlooking something, by all means say so :thumbsup:

btw F1 constructors do reveal their power rating.I have read it bout a couple of years ago they average at about 850 the most powerful was BMW.That's why the engine costs in a race are extreme.they use full titanium blocks and piston and everything else on that engine is Ti

but then for the 2005 season the downforce has been reduced 20% to 4 tonnes.Now unless the power decreases the drivers will have a hard time controlling the car.