The Stargate Universe Thread

I just found out Universe airs dubbed in German 0.5 weeks delayed, we get the current episode 5 days later than the original on SyFy. Bah, dubbed crap. Looks like they want to milk as many markets as possible before the show goes belly up....

I just found out Universe airs dubbed in German 0.5 weeks delayed, we get the current episode 5 days later than the original on SyFy. Bah, dubbed crap. Looks like they want to milk as many markets as possible before the show goes belly up....

2nd series is already in production.

Last episode was really good.

Yes, because something happened and it wasn't a soap like usual :p

The last 3 episodes have all been really good. This could turn out to be a good, long series after all.

Was watching an episode of SG-1 the other day and I can not believe how much better it is than Universe. Going from Universe to SG-1 is like stepping out of the cold. It was humorous and light but serious enough to be interesting.

Stargate SG1 and Atlantis were horridly formulaic most of the time.

Go to Planet > find good guys > find bad guys hurting good guys > get captured > escape > kill bad guys > save good guys > leave - x 22 episodes per season.

I have to say that I was bit disappointed with the very beggining of the latest episode "Sabotage"...

They could have done a ton more with the whole "just barely missed getting to the ship" thing that Eli and Company had happen to them. Instead, it was just a stupid "club over the head" plot device where they just didn't feel like writing it and making something cool happen. They could have spent a couple episodes having some seriously cool adventures while figuring out what to do, and could have easily written in a more subtle plot device where Eli has another brilliant moment and figures out how to make a gate go further, or even have them go back to the group that stayed on the planet. Find some other cool piece of technology or something. Instead, the ship grinds to a hault and they walk through the gate with a smile and a "we thought you did it" comment.
I will say that I'm getting a bit tired of the dramatic level of this series. Not saying they need to go with the often cheesy form of the other Stargate series, but it sure could use some of what those had. They could easily have pushed the last 4 or 5 episodes into 2. I think its time for them to actually get control of the ship and do something with it other then bitch amongst themselves. There has been many opportunities for a really cool story arc, but every time it happens they just cut it abruptly off and go back to it being a "stranded on a ship" story again.

Its decent enough to watch though, so I'll stick with it. Just hoping for them to actually stick with a story arc that they start instead of just recycling the middle school drama BS. Maybe introduce an "ally" species, now that they have the "enemy" species there. Regardless, its time to get a bit more "star trek" and less "soap opera" on this thing.

Stargate SG1 and Atlantis were horridly formulaic most of the time.

Go to Planet > find good guys > find bad guys hurting good guys > get captured > escape > kill bad guys > save good guys > leave - x 22 episodes per season.

They were incredibly formulaic but the success of SG-1 was the smart/humourous writing, the consistency of the mechanics of the stargate and that fictional world, and the chemistry between the main cast of actors (at least the first 8 seasons).

However those who complain about how different Universe is from SG-1 remember that the exec producers didn't want to repeat that whole formula and do something a bit different with the SG universe so for better or worse they came up with SGU to make it a bit more harsh and 'real'. I love SG-1 but I'm glad they didn't try another copy of it and went for something different, if not immediately likeable by many.

I have to say that I was bit disappointed with the very beggining of the latest episode "Sabotage"...

They could have done a ton more with the whole "just barely missed getting to the ship" thing that Eli and Company had happen to them. Instead, it was just a stupid "club over the head" plot device where they just didn't feel like writing it and making something cool happen. They could have spent a couple episodes having some seriously cool adventures while figuring out what to do, and could have easily written in a more subtle plot device where Eli has another brilliant moment and figures out how to make a gate go further, or even have them go back to the group that stayed on the planet. Find some other cool piece of technology or something. Instead, the ship grinds to a hault and they walk through the gate with a smile and a "we thought you did it" comment.
I will say that I'm getting a bit tired of the dramatic level of this series. Not saying they need to go with the often cheesy form of the other Stargate series, but it sure could use some of what those had. They could easily have pushed the last 4 or 5 episodes into 2. I think its time for them to actually get control of the ship and do something with it other then bitch amongst themselves. There has been many opportunities for a really cool story arc, but every time it happens they just cut it abruptly off and go back to it being a "stranded on a ship" story again.

Its decent enough to watch though, so I'll stick with it. Just hoping for them to actually stick with a story arc that they start instead of just recycling the middle school drama BS. Maybe introduce an "ally" species, now that they have the "enemy" species there. Regardless, its time to get a bit more "star trek" and less "soap opera" on this thing.

agreed, it's like it got a bit to difficult while they were writing it and defaulted back to teen crap

Anyone want to speculate what happened to the guy in the chair?

I'm hoping he's merged with the ship, kinda like Pilot from Farscape.
I wanna see cool shit start happening, and everybody be all 'WTF?' and then that Franklin (?) dude start talking through the intercom or something to let people know he's in control.

probably something similar to that episode of atlantis with elizabeth wier where she is stuck in the computer

However those who complain about how different Universe is from SG-1 remember that the exec producers didn't want to repeat that whole formula and do something a bit different with the SG universe so for better or worse they came up with SGU to make it a bit more harsh and 'real'. I love SG-1 but I'm glad they didn't try another copy of it and went for something different, if not immediately likeable by many.

I complain about Universe because it is terrible. It has all of the sappy melodrama of BSG but without the redeeming action or scifi aspects.

I complain about Universe because it is terrible. It has all of the sappy melodrama of BSG but without the redeeming action or scifi aspects.

Complaining it sucks for its own reasons is fine, the melodrama is overdone, but i'm referring to others complaining that it doesn't follow SG-1's formula is stupid, thats my point.

ascended?

being absorbed into the ship sounds more plausible, though.

IIRC< they built Destiny before they learned how to ascend. The war with the Wraith, and the subsequent ascension means Destiny got lost in the shuffle. I don't think they have ascension tech on the ship.

this is exactly my opinion of the show, it tries to be like BSG so much that it hurts the show. especially since SG-1 and Atlantis were practically family viewing (except for that one scene in the SG-1 pilot). i've practically just about given up on this show and honestly think they should just kill the series and go back to making SG-1 and Atlantis tv movies.

I don't know why I still watched this, the latest episode made me rage with how dumb it was