2010 24 Hours of Le Mans - Race Week Thread

Wow, I'm impressed by Audi this year. Although, it wouldn't have been done with the fail made by the Peugoets. Only 28 finished, I would have thought a lot more would be able to finish but that's how enduro works I guess.

I've got the Le Mans bug now.

Peugeot: In order to finish first, you must first finish!

I was hugely impressed by the Pug speed, but if you want to go anywhere in this thing, it's gotta be bulletproof.

Congrats to Audi. Awesome result.

I'm still quite depressed that the Ford GTs couldn't make it to the end, that would have been awesome.

Wow, I'm impressed by Audi this year. Although, it wouldn't have been done with the fail made by the Peugoets. Only 28 finished, I would have thought a lot more would be able to finish but that's how enduro works I guess.

I've got the Le Mans bug now.

In both of the last two years, 21 out of 55 DNF'd. 24 of 54 DNF'd in 2007, with one invitee failing to even qualify. On average, about half the cars that start will not finish the race.

Le Mans is brutal and what real racing is about.

There's already talk that once the F1 track in Austin is completed, there might be an ALMS race coming there....

Last edited:
Yes, yes, yes! Audi deserved this! The "Youth brigade" made it. I really hope, that Audi will make Truth in 24 #2.

Anyone have the full thing for download? i recorded the first 20hours of what SPEED Channel offered. However i'm missing the first 4 hours of the race.

Possible trouble for the #77 and #89 cars in post-race tech, top two cars in GT2. Positions are provisional at the moment. Hopefully it'll blow over, I wouldn't want to see those two thrown out on a technicality.

I watched about 8 hours of this race tonight. I hate to be one of those guys who says "I don't understand the appeal", but although watching the cars going around La Sarthe was interesting because I race on the circuit in Forza, I didn't really understand what was going on. Perhaps it was just that this was the first 24 hours of Le Mans that I had tuned in on. I'm sure I'll understand it in years to come; I definitely plan on watching it every year now, if I can.

Last edited:
I watched about 8 hours of this race tonight. I hate to be one of those guys who says "I don't understand the appeal", but although watching the cars going around La Sarthe was interesting because I race on the circuit in Forza, I didn't really understand what was going on. Perhaps it was just that this was the first 24 hours of Le Mans that I had tuned in on. I'm sure I'll understand it in years to come; I definitely plan on watching it every year now, if I can.

Study the race before it all kicks off, try and pick a few particular cars to follow, and most importantly, listen to Radio Le Mans and use the Spotter Guides.

Final post for today, and a potential initiator cause for the Peugeot engine failures... (if the cause is learned for one, it's pretty much guaranteed that the same thing happened to the other two as well)

Audi ran variable-vein turbochargers in this race, this was revealed today some time after the finish. Suggestions and hints are pointing towards a possibility that Peugeot had run them as well. One thing to say is that all three engines failed in the exact same manner, in the exact same set of circumstances (on the out-lap after a pitstop), and all three times, it was the right-hand bank of the V12 that gave up. So potentially, beyond the additional stress from possible new turbo configurations, simply a manufacturing fault on a certain batch of parts?

It's been a couple of hours after the race and I'm posting my final views upon this week. First of: what a great race this was, I'll remember this for some time for sure! :D:cool:

Always love the way this week starts, scruteneering on Sunday and Monday is always exciting, loved the reports of Radio le Mans on that and really couldn't wait for the first practice session. I love the way how the tension builds during the week, it starts with practice and qualifying and finally ends up with the race starting at 3PM on Saturday. Didn't wake up a single morning without thinking about it, to be honest.

The first session I was in for a pretty big surprise as I had estimated both Audi and Peugeot to be close. Truth was, Peugeot was miles ahead. Both the Peugeots and Audis had improved over last year, but Peugeot had certainly made a bigger leap. The difference between them and Audi became less on Thursday's session which gave a bit more confidence for a pretty close race.

Race day. John Hindhaugh shouting through my speakers when all cars cross the start finish line. The initial thought was that the race was going to be close, the difference between the Audis and Peugeots was definitely less than last few years. After just fifteen minutes the cars were split by a very unlucky safetycar due to the crash of Nigel Mansell. At that moment I honestly thought the race was run. The Peugeots started to build a pretty big lead but then suddenly reduced their pace to Audi's pace. The cars weren't running as fast as they could. A broken tub meant the early end of a very unlucky race for the #3 Peugeot but the rest of them managed to continue pretty well, but at reduced pace. I think they discovered, either during the race, or during the earliers testing, that they would run into trouble when they pushed hard. As Mr. Truswell said, "Some needle is going into the red when that car is pushed to its limits."

The number one and four car ran into trouble early in the middle of the night, giving the lead to the number two Peugeot. Montagny pushed pretty hard in his first few laps but ran out of luck right after a pit stop. Engine gone, Peugeot #2 out. The race for the lead became very interesting again when Alexander Wurz was clearly on a mission to second place (or perhaps even third) when the last works driven Peugeot went as well. I think we all knew it would be just a matter of time before the Oreca car would have the same problems. This meant a 1-2-3 for Audi, who albeit having some very bad luck (safety cars, camera-man driven over, puncture, TK vs Art car) ran virtually with no problems, certainly no mechanical ones.

And that's the great thing about le Mans, things always run different than you'd expect them to do. I honestly thought this was a 99 percent certain win for Peugeot just because I thought their reliability would be as good as last year's. But as it showed up, it wasn't.

LMP2 gave a surprising victory to the Strakka team, even though Nick Leventis did mess up once during the safety car. I'd expected the car to be more vulnerable and had estimated the #26 Highcroft to be superior. GT1 wasn't really exiting in its last year ever. GT2 gave some nice battles but it was a shame that the top runners al ran into problems. Also quite surprised by the number of flat tires during the race and the number of retired cars, which was certainly higher than normal!

Note on Anthony Davidson, the accident with the corvette is debatable, one could say he wasn't to blame there but his reaction after he got out of the car was just ridiculous. No respect or whatsoever for the driver in the GT2 car. This isn't a single seater race, it isn't all about his car being on the podium.

Ending with the fact that we won't see most of the cars again next year because of the new regulations, and that's a shame in some ways. Especially the Peugeot is a car that is so familiar with le Mans and every time the car gets there you just know it was build for one thing only: Le Circuit de la Sarthe. Awesome car, and brilliant livery this year! (I wasn't too keen on that previous years). I love the tail lights of the R-15, especially at night. Hopefully they'll be back on the R18.

Congratulations to Audi, deserved win, and a big thank you to Radio le Mans who delivered awesome coverage of the whole event!
That's it for the best week of the year, thanks to all people here, greatly enjoyed being on here during the race. :cool:
Good night and see you next year!!

Congrats to Audi. I was going for the #1 Peugeot since they were making a great comeback and driving the socks off that car, but I'm happy that Rocky and the rest of the young guns finally got their Le Mans win. Besides that, has there been any update on the condition of the cameraman that was hit by the Audi? I hope he's doing well, and that this incident doesn't result in the addition of more silly rules.

Edit: For those of you that don't know what I'm talking here's a video that shows it a lot better than what was shown in the live coverage.

Last edited:
A closer view of the pitlane crash:
That looks really bad, hope the guy is ok.

That just needs one rule - cameramen must stay out of an active pit lane. :p

Audi ran variable-vein turbochargers in this race, this was revealed today some time after the finish. Suggestions and hints are pointing towards a possibility that Peugeot had run them as well. One thing to say is that all three engines failed in the exact same manner, in the exact same set of circumstances (on the out-lap after a pitstop), and all three times, it was the right-hand bank of the V12 that gave up. So potentially, beyond the additional stress from possible new turbo configurations, simply a manufacturing fault on a certain batch of parts?

I think Peugeot knew about their problem even before the start because they held a very steady pace from the get go instead of building a secure lead straight away. To me that suggests it was not a problem with a turbocharger or any other single part which would have been reasonably easy to swap for an older (and proven) version before or even during the race. I think it must have been something more fundamental which forced them to run with it and hope they would last the distance at a reduced pace.

Either that or they knew they had 'a' problem but didn't know what the problem was, in which case a manufacturing fault could be the case.

Last edited:
I assume this is the Anthony Davidson reaction you were talking about Martin90:

No wonder the Corvette team and fans were fuming even more than they were after the incident happened. Ant didn't get any new fans with that one...