Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

true, but most cars nowadays are ridiculously hard to park because of wierd rear windows, so you can't see

Sun is shining and is 30C outside. Perfect weather for cleaning my K&N Cold Air Intake.

I'll just leave this here:

Audi-win-Le-Mans-006.jpg

Where is your God now Spectre :mrgreen:

So I've been scanning google maps for interesting looking roads around here, and I thought I had found one. So I went to check it out, and it turned out to be considerably less paved than I was expecting.

This is what my truck looked like after driving on it. I don't think I'll be taking the interceptor down that one :lol:

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2010/06/13/06132010492.jpg

true, but most cars nowadays are ridiculously hard to park because of wierd rear windows, so you can't see

Indeed. That's one of my biggest pet peeves about many modern designs. Even a 97 Camry ive ridden in has poorer rear visibllity than my car. :s

I'm only here to provide temptation :D Just a reminder that you need to get back to work! *whip crack*

Anyone have a suggestion for Texas-area police/impound/whatever auctions where I might find some older (read: "cheaper") Mercs? Yes, I've googled, but most make you sign up or some nonsense, so I only found "copart" (although you still have to create an account to bid). On related note, any good towing companies out there so I can transport this? :mrgreen:

I'll just leave this here:

Audi-win-Le-Mans-006.jpg

Where is your God now Spectre :mrgreen:

Never said I was anti-Audi, and I certainly was rooting for anyone else other than Peugeot to win overall/LMP1 so we wouldn't have to put up with the French being arrogant idiots for another year claiming they had the superior diesel technology. And I was sure that the Jaguar would fail out early due to who's running the show over there now and the general apathy they've had towards racing since the 2000s (well, really, the Jaguar/TWR split).

But with all the prep and photo staging in the last half hour, you'd think that Audi would be able to stage a proper finish photo. Something like, oh, this:

470_1988_janlammers.jpg

The real Cinderella story at Le Mans this year wasn't Audi beating Peugeot, but Honda winning their class in their first ever outing at Le Mans. That's almost unheard of. Usually it takes at least three years of trying at Le Mans before you get victory with a new-to-Le-Mans car - and Honda did it the first try. In fact, they completely dominated LMP2.

I'm only here to provide temptation :D Just a reminder that you need to get back to work! *whip crack*

Anyone have a suggestion for Texas-area police/impound/whatever auctions where I might find some older (read: "cheaper") Mercs? Yes, I've googled, but most make you sign up or some nonsense, so I only found "copart" (although you still have to create an account to bid). On related note, any good towing companies out there so I can transport this? :mrgreen:

See the Texas-specific forum, I posted up some stuff there.

Also, I do know an auto transport broker, PM me.

Last edited:
That must've taken some ungodly amount of planning to stage an anti-hotlinking message at a LeMans finish :p

Hah, okay, I'll fix it.

Edit: Fixed. Also, Der Stig, added some stuff to that post for you.

Last edited:
Say I was bored and wanted to be a bit ridiculous with my Grand Prix. Would a full body vinyl wrapping with some strange pattern be too far out there?

So I've been scanning google maps for interesting looking roads around here, and I thought I had found one. So I went to check it out, and it turned out to be considerably less paved than I was expecting.

This is what my truck looked like after driving on it. I don't think I'll be taking the interceptor down that one :lol:

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2010/06/13/06132010492.jpg

Suedschleife had the same after planning a nice cruise for the ringmeet, the roads on his testdrive looked decidedly less paved than they did in google maps. He sacrificed his front spoiler for us there.

Suedschleife had the same after planning a nice cruise for the ringmeet, the roads on his testdrive looked decidedly less paved than they did in google maps. He sacrificed his front spoiler for us there.

We ran into that when CJ and I were looking at setting up a road loop here in the Dallas area. Google maps had a road that looked interesting that I recalled as being paved when last I rode it a decade or so ago.

Instead, it turned out to have decayed into a dirt and gravel trail. Fortunately, we had his truck (pictured above) so no bodywork got sacrificed, but that road segment got axed from the loop. :p

Edit: Come to think of it, I think I've got the footage from that on this computer. Going to look for it now.

Edit 2: I do, but it's not good enough quality to post. :p

Last edited:
The real Cinderella story at Le Mans this year wasn't Audi beating Peugeot, but Honda winning their class in their first ever outing at Le Mans. That's almost unheard of. Usually it takes at least three years of trying at Le Mans before you get victory with a new-to-Le-Mans car - and Honda did it the first try. In fact, they completely dominated LMP2.
It's not that unheard of, from the top of my head I know of a few Porsches that has won their class (and even the race outright) on their first attempt; The 936 won it's class as well as taking the outright win in 1976. The 956 and 962 did the same thing in 1982 and 1986 respectively. The completely re-engineered 911 GT1 did it in 1998. Also, the RS Spyder dominated the LMP2 class on it's first outing at Le Mans in 2008.