RUMOR: Hyundai Genesis Coupe to get a 5.0L V8

Do you think that getting the last word in will somehow make you more right, or the other person less right?

Anyway, back on the original topic of the Hyundai - I've read reports that since the North American Genesis Coupe suspension setup is different from the Korean/ROW one it might be the cause of the understeer issues some have noted with the V6. If so, it seems like a relatively easy fix to implement - bring over the ROW setup and beef it up a bit for the V8. Edit: Never mind, turns out the KDM suspension is actually softer. Seems the US version was developed by Hyundai USA engineers.

That said... does anyone know what the weight difference is between the Hyundai 3.8L V6 and the existing 4.6L V8 (which the 5L will presumably be based off of), as used in the Genesis sedan? I'm wondering just how much difference there really is.

Last edited:
The 5.0L is already in production and has been in the Hyundai Equus since 2009. Hyundai Tau V8

That said i can't seem to find any weights for the 5.0L

Last edited:
I'm guessing the 5.0 will weigh the same just with a larger bore and/or stroke.

As for torque, my '86 Towncar had 150hp and 280ft lbs of torque. It was slow as shit. My Jag also has 280 ft lbs of torque and two ton weight, it is far faster.

Last edited:
Anyway, back on the original topic of the Hyundai - I've read reports that since the North American Genesis Coupe suspension setup is different from the Korean/ROW one it might be the cause of the understeer issues some have noted with the V6. If so, it seems like a relatively easy fix to implement - bring over the ROW setup and beef it up a bit for the V8. Edit: Never mind, turns out the KDM suspension is actually softer. Seems the US version was developed by Hyundai USA engineers.

That said... does anyone know what the weight difference is between the Hyundai 3.8L V6 and the existing 4.6L V8 (which the 5L will presumably be based off of), as used in the Genesis sedan? I'm wondering just how much difference there really is.

Wait... wait... wait!!!! You mean to tell me that for ONCE the US market got the superior chassis to the companies home market. That seems very odd to think that "USDM" doesn't mean "soft and plushy"

Last edited:
The 5.0L is already in production and has been in the Hyundai Equus since 2009. Hyundai Tau V8

That said i can't seem to find any weights for the 5.0L

The 4.6 has been in production longer, that's why I was asking about its weight - better chance of finding that info.

Wait... wait... wait!!!! You mean to tell me that for ONCE the US market got the superior chassis to the companies home market. That seems very odd to think that "USDM" doesn't mean "soft and plushy"

Apparently.

As for torque, my '86 Towncar had 150hp and 280ft lbs of torque. It was slow as shit.

I dont think you quite understand the point of a lincoln towncar.

(i WILL have a panther lincoln town car someday, i WILL! i WIIIIILLLLLL!)

Doesn't ZR-1 make over 300tq at something like 1,200rpm?

He said at idle, not 'just off idle'. Idle is ~700rpm.

Yeah, but they have to get on the highway - and with the 150hp engine, it took *forever* to get up to speed, not the safest thing in the world... despite the high torque rating. You need torque and horsepower for most cars.

Also, if you're leaning that way, why bother with a Panther when you can have one of these:
DC0007L.jpg

That one was actually mine. And no, it wasn't the limo version, believe it or not - it was the 'normal' sedan.

Last edited:

can't you sell your camry and buy a panther town car today and probably make some money? Looking on craigslist, those things are cheeeap.

My point was that even with the same torque and weight is was vastly slower.

So what you're saying is that the Asians just don't know hot to make a properly slow car that sucks down fuel? I'm confused :confused:

And I fully understand the point of a Lincoln Towncar... it's to try and be as awesome as a Lincoln Continental and fail miserably at it :tease:

So what you're saying is that the Asians just don't know hot to make a properly slow car that sucks down fuel? I'm confused :confused:

And I fully understand the point of a Lincoln Towncar... it's to try and be as awesome as a Lincoln Continental and fail miserably at it :tease:

Do you honestly expect MattD1zzl3's opinion on cars to make sense at this point? I've stopped questioning it at this point.

Matt, Shine on you crazy F-body and Town Car loving diamond.

The Ford Taurus based Continentals won that battle of failure.

I want to see this happen (and for it to sell well) to force Ford to at least offer an IRS option in the Mustang.

I also want to see this in the hopes that it will push GM to remove some lard from the Camaro, even if only to makes used current models more affordable for me later on.

I'd agree with you at least in the first part, but I don't see GM actually doing it. They should have responded to the new Mustang revisions by now and they haven't.

I want to see this happen (and for it to sell well) to force Ford to at least offer an IRS option in the Mustang.

I don't see it happening with this model. A good chunk of Terminator owners swapped out their IRS for the live end, there isn't a huge demand. Most people can't tell the difference unless they live near horribly maintained streets. I am fairly certain however that the next Mustang will share its platform with the Falcon. In which case IRS would be a trivial option to add.

Last edited: