The 2010 South Africa world cup thread!

that's not gone well... ok, it's gone terribly wrong

And this may be the end of Maradona... once and for all
:comfort:
Commiserations Argentina, Nati as you are FG?s only (?) member from your country, your team was great to watch and the head coach was always entertaining, if a little outspoken sometimes. (e.g. Comments about Pele & referees etc.)

Well done Germany, very impressive performance and win. :cool:

Hmmm, favourites now for the Cup?

Doesn't make England look quite so bad now, at least we got two one.

Yeah, although I wonder if they still think now, that their game would have had a different ending, if they were given the 2nd goal :p

C'mon, you'll see countless of non-germans who will shout that line at least 3 times, and therefore, those 3 words mean nothing wrong.
Also noone knows the german national anthem. Everyone knows Deutschland deutschland ?ber alles.

Isn't it enough, that a German tells you it is inappropriate in the presence of Germans? It could be considered a severe insult.

Back to topic: Anyone got a screen capture of Maradona crying? I love it, when he cries. It makes me laugh... :)

Last edited:
Remedy for Brazil's loss? Argentina to lose!

All fireworks prepared for yesterday were released today!

4-0, that's just ... :shock2:

One of my favourite moments was when Klose was near the Argentinian goal, stops, and you can just see an Argentinian sliding past him. Even if it didn't result in a goal, that was just hilarious to watch. Can anybody find a video of that? Sadly they didn't show that again in the post-match coverage, only the goals.

Also: the return of the Klose somersault! :thumbsup:

:comfort:
Commiserations Argentina, Nati as you are FG?s only (?) member from your country, your team was great to watch and the head coach was always entertaining, if a little outspoken sometimes. (e.g. Comments about Pele & referees etc.)

There were two more of us, last year, but they disappeared :dunno:

Now I'm rooting for Netherlands and Paraguay :)

Yeah, although I wonder if they still think now, that their game would have had a different ending, if they were give the 2nd goal :p

Isn't it enough, that a German tells you it is inappropriate in the presence of Germans?

Alright that was my fault and i'll never ever repeat it again, I really didn't know it was this bad to post that line. Go ahead, flame me, negrep, badmouth on me me etc, but I do apologize to all of you who are from Germany and those who are the fans of Germany.

Wow. I expected many goals from this game, but definitely not all of them for one team. :D

I watched the match at a pack viewing, and it was great. Fantastic atmosphere. I was really astonished that almost everyone sung along the national anthem*, and the early first goal did good on the mood, too. :)
Great game, the German team overran Argentina in the first 25 minutes or so. Blitzkrieg indeed. After that, I feared that Argentina would score and we'd regret the missed opportunities, but luckily, I was wrong there. Total deconstruction during the last 20 minutes. Very nice to watch.

@ Aces High: Apology accepted, by me at least.

* speaking of national anthems: Compared to the German one, many others are quite... war-happy, as I have noticed this last few weeks. :D

Hahahah Messi :D Biggest disappointment of World Cup 2010 maybe?

uhh, no? i suppose if he'd gotten through all the german defenders people would just be saying "oh but he's messi". he played great and was setting up pretty much every argentina goal in this tournament, i guess people would be praising him if he had been the one just sticking the goals in from five meters which was higuain's job in the team? veeery impressed with tevez though, he played great through the tournament. today they weren't really given any chance as tevez, messi, higuain and di maria were alway against a wall of germans. especially messi and higuain who play in the middle. argentina doesn't really have good enough players behind them to support them and they didn't have much chance going through by themselves.

i was rooting for argentina now that brazil was out and i've always hated the german team but they played better today (or argentina played worse, their defence, seriously...). here's rooting for my last hope spain now that brazil and argentina are out but i see a holland-germany final in my nightmares. pleasepleasePLEASE not that, i'll have to drink a 12-pack at least before i can watch that game.

@ Aces High: Apology accepted, by me at least.

Yes, by me, too :thumbup: I know other forum members, who'd nibble their arms off, before they'd apologize or admit a mistake.

i was rooting for argentina now that brazil was out and i've always hated the german team but they played better today (or argentina played worse, their defence, seriously...). here's rooting for my last hope spain now that brazil and argentina are out but i see a holland-germany final in my nightmares. pleasepleasePLEASE not that, i'll have to drink a 12-pack at least before i can watch that game.

You know that hate leads to the dark side, don't you? :mrgreen:

Last edited:
here's rooting for my last hope spain now that brazil and argentina are out but i see a holland-germany final in my nightmares. pleasepleasePLEASE not that, i'll have to drink a 12-pack at least before i can watch that game.

Why do you have so much against a possible Holland - Germany final?

MacG: It can hardly be considered to be an insult if the person who said it have no idea what the words mean and are just repeating what he or she have heard. It would be inappropriate to carry on after being told in the presence of people who might take offense in real life, but this is the internet, and the internet is not a place for the easily offended.
* speaking of national anthems: Compared to the German one, many others are quite... war-happy, as I have noticed this last few weeks. :D
Try Mexico.

Mexicans, at the cry of war,
make ready the steel and the bridle,
and the earth trembles at its centers
at the resounding roar of the cannon.
and the earth trembles at its centers
at the resounding roar of the cannon!

Let gird, oh Fatherland, your brow with olive
by the divine archangel of peace,
for in heaven your eternal destiny
was written by the finger of God.
But if some enemy outlander should dare
to profane your ground with his step,
think, oh beloved Fatherland, that heaven
has given you a soldier in every son.

War, war without quarter to any who dare
to tarnish the coat of arms!
War, war! Let the national banners
be soaked in waves of blood.
War, war! In the mountain, in the valley,
let the cannons thunder in horrid unison
and may the sonorous echoes resound
with cries of Union! Liberty!

O, Motherland, ere your children, defenseless
bend their neck beneath the yoke,
may your fields be watered with blood,
may their foot be printed in blood.
And may your temples, palaces and towers
collapse with horrid clamor,
and may their ruins continue on, saying:
Of one thousand heroes, here the Motherland began.

Motherland! Motherland! your children swear to you
to breathe their last for your sake,
if the bugle with its warlike accent
persuades them to battle with courage.
For you, olive wreathes!
A memory for them of glory!
For you, a laurel of victory!
A tomb for them of honor!

Portugals anthem is also something that might have been written by Sabaton.

Last edited:
Why do you have so much against a possible Holland - Germany final?

-with the kind of game holland showed against brazil they don't stand a chance against germany and the germany - spain game is going to be a much better game
-i've always hated the german team, not sure why
-not interested in holland, now that van der sar, bergkamp, kluivert and such legends aren't playing anymore there's just no one i like...sneijder is ok though
etc

at least if uruguay made it to the final there's some surprise factor and i'd be happy to root for such an underdog. spain on the other hand is a team i sort of like but and would be happy to see them finally take the cup but seeing their recent results i'm afraid they'll lose to germany.

We've been watching the games at work and even from Germany's second game I've been saying they're going to win the whole thing which has been drawing strange looks from my coworkers. But from the looks of it my crazy prediction might just be true.

I been saying it since Euro 2008. They were the most impressive team there as they are here, they were my favorites since day 1.

Par-Esp is so far quite a boring affair I must say as I find studying Harboes range of beers and softdrinks more interesting. Everytime I look at the TV the ball is in midfield.

MacG: It can hardly be considered to be an insult if the person who said it have no idea what the words mean and are just repeating what he or she have heard. It would be inappropriate to carry on after being told in the presence of people who might take offense in real life, but this is the internet, and the internet is not a place for the easily offended.

I beg to differ.

Firstly it's not the one who speaks an insult, who defines what an insult is or isn't. The definition lies with the one who feels insulted and the other one has to accept that and -- if he has some manners -- must apologize, no matter if he thinks the other one is too sensitive or not. It's a matter of social competence.

Secondly it has been said before on this forum, that "Deutschland, Deutschland ?ber alles" is not appropriate, because it stands for Nazi propaganda and warmongering.

Thirdly other nations may also have aggressive lyrics in their national anthems -- but they didn't drag the world into the bloodiest war of all time, while committing the biggest genocide in human history with that particular lyrics on their lips.

Of course the first verse of the German national anthem is not prohibited by law and can technically still be used. But it's as inappropriate as driving through the USA and telling everybody "Yo man, I like what you did to the Indians and the black slaves": It's not illegal but utterly inappropriate and could get you into trouble or at least ruin your reputation pretty thoroughly.

And last but not least: The internet is not a manner-free zone. Just because someone cannot come over to your house and punch you into the face, when you insult them, doesn't mean you're allowed to behave like an axe in the forest. You still have a reputation to lose, especially when you are an active member of a discussion forum.

Now after I cleared this up, I'd like to return to football :) Without any allusions to the war, if possible... they're just used by the losers anyway.

Last edited: