The 2010 South Africa world cup thread!

Congrats to Paraguay.... didn't imagine that they would play like that and with some much heart. That makes the difference: you fall, but you fall on your feet.

What a game. What an amazing game. Paraguay played their heart out, and the scoreline did reflect it until class finally broke through. Spain played poorly, but managed to scrape the win, so I am happy. Spain vs Germany is going to be absolutely gobsmacking, and I'm going to miss it because I'll be at an interview :lol:. As long as Holland beats Uruguay, I will not care who else wins, because at that point all three of my teams will be in to win (North Korea being my one mandatory underdog, but they crashed and burned :lol:).

Anyway:

I have never understood why Torres plays. I don't think he's very good. Paraguay clearly wants to win. Spain meanwhile is afraid to loose.

He has had a terrible world cup, but to judge him as being not very good is ridiculous. He is a phenomenal player. He may or may not come good in the world cup (and I hope he does, so you guys get to see why I'm always raving about him), but come the EPL season (barring any Liverpool management fuckery), he's going to be making elite defenses look stupid once again.

edit: also, in terms of goalkeepers, what's scary is that Spain has Reina and Valdes as their backups. That is ridiculous.

Last edited:
As long as Holland beats Uruguay, I will not care who else wins, because at that point all three of my teams will be in to win (North Korea being my one mandatory underdog, but they crashed and burned :lol:).

Netherlands is the only team remaining that I don't want to win. My 2 picks were Spain and Uruguay, and I like Germany.

edit

I read that FIFA is considering extending the match ban against Suarez. I hope not. You can't change the past, so let's keep things interesting and let Uruguay play at full strength if they make the finals.

edit again

Only a one-match ban
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/wo...ball--fbintl_ap-wcup-suarez-disciplinary.html

Last edited:
Uruguay needs to get kicked in the ball and walk home after that pathetic save from Suarez. I'm not a Ghana fan, to win on that basis is weak. they are now my least favorite team for eternity!

GO GERMANY!!! :p

Uruguay needs to get kicked in the ball and walk home after that pathetic save from Suarez. I'm not a Ghana fan, to win on that basis is weak. they are now my least favorite team for eternity!

GO GERMANY!!! :p

you could've started the eternal hate on germany already back in 2002:

i was rooting for spain but it was sad to see paraguay go because they played brilliantly. nice to see barca players on the money though...iniesta-pedro-villa $$$$

you could've started the eternal hate on germany already back in 2002:

You know, I could have accepted the word "dislike" from you :rolleyes:

But hate? Hate is such a ridiculous term in this context :thumbsdown: Football is a sport, not some kind of gang war in the hood...

To hate someone or something, you must have had a personal experience, which justifies that hate. For example Podolski beating you up in school or Klose stealing your car. You cannot hate without a reason.

Except the hate you feel is just a projection and what you really hate, is yourself or your life :D

you could've started the eternal hate on germany already back in 2002

There is a difference between having your arm down next to your body and having the arm hit and stretching the arm way above your head making the arm hit the ball, not vice versa.

PS: "Kahn't get past the German keeper"? :lmao:

Paraguay played well against Spain, but the better team won in the end.

Some of the other teams (like England and France etc) should look at the Paraguay effort to see what they could have done, excellent effort by Paraguay they should be proud of themselves. :thumbsup:

All four of the QFs have been most excellent in their own way and very exciting.

What a tournament ? the World Cup 2010. :D

You know, I could have accepted the word "dislike" from you :rolleyes:

But hate? Hate is such a ridiculous term in this context :thumbsdown: Football is a sport, not some kind of gang war in the hood...

To hate someone or something, you must have had a personal experience, which justifies that hate. For example Podolski beating you up in school or Klose stealing your car. You cannot hate without a reason.

Except the hate you feel is just a projection and what you really hate, is yourself or your life :D

you gotta be fucking kidding me right? i suppose i should hire a representative or such who can check my posts pre-posting so they're correct in a way so that everyone will be happy. i can imagine watching a game with you, let's say your favourite m?ller scores a goal, the dialog would be something along the lines of:
-i love m?ller!
-no, you can't love m?ller because you don't even know him, like would be the better word...blablabla

narf said:
There is a difference between having your arm down next to your body and having the arm hit and stretching the arm way above your head making the arm hit the ball, not vice versa.

you have to be pretty biased if you're saying that's not a deserved red + penalty for frings. looking at the suarez case it was definately the right thing to do in that spot, either lose the game or get a red and a slight chance at the opponent missing a penalty kick. if you think there's still something wrong with that you should blame fifa for the penalty for that. imo a red and a penalty kick is enough of a penalty and ghana only has gyan to blame for their missed opportunity.

you have to be pretty biased if you're saying that's not a deserved red + penalty for frings.

Nah, just applying the rules. Frings did not move his hand towards the ball, he kept it close to his body. It's not a punishable handball unless you move your hand towards the ball to play the ball with your hands. Where are you supposed to keep your arm, if not close to your body? Can't saw it off...

Imagine that, a young German team against Spain which is litterally made up of established world stars. And it's completely open! What a game that's going to be! Can't wait.

I do believe that the winner of Spain-Germany will also be the world champions.. I don't think Holland can beat either one. But who knows! They all have great players, s? anything can happen.

It's been a couple of fantastic matches here at the end!

image-106706-galleryV9-namb.jpg

image-106829-galleryV9-tnue.jpg

image-106825-galleryV9-rrey.jpg

image-106793-galleryV9-nqqg.jpg

image-106827-galleryV9-mqrk.jpg

image-106822-galleryV9-ybhq.jpg

With the disallowed goal. He was definitely onside. The guy that jumped up, yes was in an offside position, but he didn't get a head on the ball. The goal was wrongly disallowed.

The whole penalty situation was the most exciting bit of football i've seen for this world cup. But once again the official was inconsistent. If he's gonna make Spain retake because they had 2 players in the box, then surely the same consistency should be had at the other end when Cassias made a fantastic save, yet had half his team in the box, no?

I've enjoyed for the most part all of this world cup, but I can't believe how crap some of the officials have been. So many incidents that have been proven to be the wrong call. It's just frustrating!

Congrats on Germany for a fantastic crushing of Argentina.

Heres hoping for a Germany vs Holland final!!

Nah, just applying the rules. Frings did not move his hand towards the ball, he kept it close to his body. It's not a punishable handball unless you move your hand towards the ball to play the ball with your hands. Where are you supposed to keep your arm, if not close to your body? Can't saw it off...

yeah when you hold it tight to your body, but it was hanging to his side and it's not like he didn't have reaction time to take his hand off the ball's way. something that might pass in the midfield but when it blocks a goal like that it's a red and a penalty kick. it does look a bit accidental though, like he can't read how the ball is going to bounce off the field. enough of 2002 though..

buckers13 said:
With the disallowed goal. He was definitely onside. The guy that jumped up, yes was in an offside position, but he didn't get a head on the ball. The goal was wrongly disallowed.

you don't need to touch the ball to participate in the play. clearly he reached for the ball and thus participated in the play. good call. the ref by the way was pretty good in this game imo. he let them play rough enough and made a couple of gutsy decisions a lot of refs would've let slip, like disallowing alonso's first penalty. he did miss the fabregas tripping though but i think there was so many players in the box he couldn't see it.

edit: sure the ref should've made paraguay shoot again on the same cause alonso had to shoot twice but i guess you can't ask for everything. ref was above average anyway.

Last edited: