Ideas for Videogames?

LeMans GTR

We've always had these crazy/notsocrazy ideas for video games that will probably never come to fruition, but I think we've all at least thought of a fleshed out plan for a game or have had a 'How come no one has thought of this!' moment.

I've always had this idea of a game not unlike Test Drive Unlimited but with a more intricate plot and also some third person stealth sections. In execution it would feel like an espionage RPG with an emphasis on driving. The world would be smaller scale versions of Europe including the alps and general game play would revolve around delivering packages, evading police/enemies, cross country dashes against trains, cars, planes. Online would let your roam around with your friends (areas would be very detailed with lots of different interiors), play competitive team or individual multiplayer where you have to infiltrate a building together, work together to steal things or rescue your other team mates and get out alive, compete to destroy an aircraft, deliver a package or race. There'd also be lots of angles you could play from as it wouldn't be restricted to just run and gun but all the skyscrapers would have interiors and rooftops and you could have helicopter magnets to steal things, use satchel charges etc.

In short it'd play like a glamorous European James Bond GTA/Test Drive Unlimited

TDU2 might well be the perfect game for me, at least if the physics are any good.
Ever since I played Midtown Madness as a kid I've been looking for a cruise game like Midtown Madness and TDU with proper realistic physics like you would find in GT5 and the likes, a real life location to drive on and, ofcourse, police chasing you!
TDU1 came close though..

We've always had these crazy/notsocrazy ideas for video games that will probably never come to fruition, but I think we've all at least thought of a fleshed out plan for a game or have had a 'How come no one has thought of this!' moment.

I've always had this idea of a game not unlike Test Drive Unlimited but with a more intricate plot and also some third person stealth sections. In execution it would feel like an espionage RPG with an emphasis on driving. The world would be smaller scale versions of Europe including the alps and general game play would revolve around delivering packages, evading police/enemies, cross country dashes against trains, cars, planes. Online would let your roam around with your friends (areas would be very detailed with lots of different interiors), play competitive team or individual multiplayer where you have to infiltrate a building together, work together to steal things or rescue your other team mates and get out alive, compete to destroy an aircraft, deliver a package or race. There'd also be lots of angles you could play from as it wouldn't be restricted to just run and gun but all the skyscrapers would have interiors and rooftops and you could have helicopter magnets to steal things, use satchel charges etc.

In short it'd play like a glamorous European James Bond GTA/Test Drive Unlimited

So pretty much like Just Cause 2, but good? I'd play that!

I've just always wondered why we can't have a driving game that has road cars and free street driving like TDU with driving simulator physics. Driving simulations seem to always be restricted to race cars and tracks.

i've always considered Mass Effect as close to gaming perfection as i've seen but if i was going to make some adjustments i would have made sure that some of the RPG elements that were in the first game and have included them in the second game. Things like upgrading weapons and armor. also Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic had a section where you went into the Ebon Hawks gun turret section and shot at some fighters. I would have loved to do that on the Normandy.

^Totally agree with you there. While ME2 is a great game, I feel like they dumbed it down considerably. Hopefully ME3 will be some sort of combination of the two previous games.

I've always been a fan of the Rebel Assault games. Maybe it's time for a new one of those? I'm afraid it would just be some lame clone wars nonsense though.

I've just always wondered why we can't have a driving game that has road cars and free street driving like TDU with driving simulator physics. Driving simulations seem to always be restricted to race cars and tracks.
yes, yes, yes. a free roam driving game with all kinds of cars from hot hatchs to exotics with lfs like physics and amazing driving roads...

Bad Dudes for the NES was the best game ever. i don't know what yall are talking about :)

well ok, not the best game.. or even a good one... but probably the best intro evar :)... okay not that, but funny

Definitely agree. Imagine if we have GT5 level of physics similation and the open free roam map of TDU. It would be pretty epic. But I think a game like that would never happen, since the cost of mapping everything and testing the cars would be too expensive.

Definitely agree. Imagine if we have GT5 level of physics similation and the open free roam map of TDU. It would be pretty epic. But I think a game like that would never happen, since the cost of mapping everything and testing the cars would be too expensive.

But I wonder if you could use gamers for testing? Players test the cars and give feedback to the devs. I'm not involved in game dev, so I'm don't know exactly how their testing process works. Would be a free bunch of testers though.

It's got to be a serious driving simulator just like Gran Turismo 5, but everything explodes.

Here's a novel idea, a bmx game!

There hasn't ever been much effort put into one *plays Dave Mirra 2 with "She Sells Sanctuary on repeat*.

all i really want is GT5 + WOW

this is going to be kind of stream of consciousness so bear with me

Leveling = GT5 style license tests as you get licenses it unlocks more PVE or PVP options

Multiple zones for different kinds of racing: all roads are used to get from place to place so if you wanna go togue racing you have to drive to the mountains. (quick travel via tansporters)
- City for random street race challenges (stoplight drag racing)
- Highway: Think Tokyo Extreme Racer
- Mountains for Togue/canyon racing
- beyond mountains for Offroad/rally
- Speedway/Dragway/Roadcourse for sanctioned events. (also posiblitity of sactioned hill climbs (togue) and sanctioned rallies (off road and tarmac)

Racing works like Tokyo Extreme racer. You are driving along and you see someone you want to race and "flash your lights". If they accept (you can say no if you are trying to get somewhere) game goes instanced and you have a short drag race/whatever if you win you get specific amount of money/parts/pinkslips that is agreed upon at time of race Cars are given a class (Forza style) so you can decide how much you wanna put on the race. This is good because great drivers can take on better cars and maybe make some bank. (this needs a better system so that people don't get scmmed) All racing that does not happen at a sanctioned event/location is bustable think need for speed hot pursuit. anyone racing or spectating (remember those side bets) gets instanced and has to escape the cops. If you get caught you will loose money/cars/licenses etc. sanctioned events will allow for pruses but as you get lower down the run you get less and less so you have a reason to race on the street. Also by racing in sacntioned events you can get "fame" fame would add a bonus to the races you win in the form of sponsors or cheaper parts. Getting busted by cops can hurt your fame (who wants to sponsor a street racer)

Sanctioned events would be like WOW world events or maybe battle grounds. they have entry fees to keep out the riff raff and license requirements.
Job: Much like eve allowing you to train when you are not logged in whenever you are not logged into the game you slowly acrue money (money sort equals XP) sponsors will give you money at your "job" while logged in you are not "working". This mechanic is mostly a safety net so that stupid kids that race for pinks and lose their starter car aren't fucked. Maybe some sort of accelerated money income when you don't have a car. Needs a mechanic to protect from farming by groups.

Guilds = Car Clubs
PVE = Instanced NPC races NPCs drop special items.
PVP = Instanced racing either on the streets or at events.
Every one gets a garage for storing cars
In Depth level of car tunability with a micro transaction economy based around play owned "tuning shops". The idea is that you can go to any tuning shop and get a genenric good better best setup with whatever parts you have on your car. You can tune your car yourself or you can pay another player to tune your car. Tunes that are bought can't be viewed or copied to avoid sharing purchased tunes. Idealy there would be both suspension tuning as well as engine tuning purchasing dyno time for engine tunes or track time for suspension tuning (maybe make suspension tuning free)

CARS: As many cars as possible as well as parts manufactureres. as you tune your car by buying parts etc it becomes less and less streetable until the point where it becomes non street legal and only available for use at racing events. Certain cars will only be pruchasable and useable as race cars from the get to (top fuel dragsters touring cars stock cars etc) No real limit on number of cars. Also extensive inventory of parts used and new. Buy a 240SX race a bunch save up money do an SR Swap. Sell KA on marketplace or keep it in your inventory. later you buy a 510 and because you have the KA in your inventory you can swap the KA in. Selling parts means you have more money for new parts. Used cars can be sold as well. every swap/part change requires money for both the parts and labor (i know i know i would do it myself but bear with me) things like better suspension doesn't cost much for "labor" but more extensive work costs more doing an engine swap might cost as much as the parts themselves. Maintance is also an issue just like GT5 this means if you race and don't take care of your car you could damage it and end up losing the race (and maybe your car or money) also how "used" a car is effects its resale value to other players of NPC dealerships

The more i think about it the more i want it to be like a Graphical version of Midnight Challenge with less dice rolling when it comes to the racing

Last edited:
howbout a sort of era GTA, set in midieval England for example, free roaming, fully interactive , only set in london and surrounding little villages and castles, and lots and lots of countryside, gangs off maurauders, you get the idea.

Think Robin hood meets red dead redemtion.

You can go the same route with the roman empire , Scandinavia in vikingtimes, ancient Egypt.....pretty endless possibility's, and the game engine is allready here.

A racing game which would combine a realistic driving model and car upgrading from a proper simulation (GT or Forza esque) and combine that with elements from arcade-esque street racing games like open-world map, traffic, epic police chaces etc. would be pretty cool I think.

LeMans mentioned third person stealth sections which made me wonder, has there ever been a game with stealth driving? You know, needing to get somewhere without being detected, low rpm, maybe coasting through the most dangerous spots, in the darkness without lights, absolutely having to avoid anything resembling a crash. And then doind some sabotage when you get to your goal and then racing out of there flat out. I can only think of Interstate '76 where you had to shut down your engine to hide yourself from enemy radar (and radar guided missiles) but that's not really the same thing...

An idea I have been thinking about recently is not really specific but I would love to make a facebook game which would take the mickey out of the current facebook games, from the ways they seem to be developed to features I guess most players are annoyed with by now. Also, it wouldn't hurt if the game would actually be good as well. I have no idea about what the game would be about or how to make it commercially viable, though, this is just something I have been pondering recently as I have become involved with a facebook game development and have a lot of pent up frustration towards how the whole business works.

i think proper crash physics should also definately be in our MMORPG driving sim, including an insurance system. this would meand that wreckers who crash into your car would have to pay for the damage to be repaired. thus everybody would have to be careful not to crash and even if someone deliberately crashes into your car you would not lose your car/money. wreckers would not get very far then because they would lose lots of money quickly and couldn't advance in the game at all.

i think proper crash physics should also definately be in our MMORPG driving sim, including an insurance system. this would meand that wreckers who crash into your car would have to pay for the damage to be repaired. thus everybody would have to be careful not to crash and even if someone deliberately crashes into your car you would not lose your car/money. wreckers would not get very far then because they would lose lots of money quickly and couldn't advance in the game at all.

What if you wreck during a race or accidentally plant your car halfway through a brick wall?

I want games with full-on geomod. Red Faction was awesome because you could blow a level practically to framework.

What if you wreck during a race or accidentally plant your car halfway through a brick wall?

your problem. if you can't drive, youre not suppposed to get very far.
of course that would be a difficult concept to understand for wall riding arcade gamers...

your problem. if you can't drive, youre not suppposed to get very far.
of course that would be a difficult concept to understand for wall riding arcade gamers...

Fair enough, though it would seriously suck if I have just enough money for a DBS or whatever and then some AI traffic lorry cuts me off, crushes my car and bankrupts me in the process.

I'd also want user-created maps that you could install that link into the main map. It would allow for much more variety in terms of geographic features. Mountain racing wouldn't just be togue but could also be the alps, cities wouldn't just be a grid layout but could range from 90 degree turn American style cities to cobblestoned Parisan streets and rallys could stretch across very distinct coastal, urban and rural areas. The more I think about it, the more important environment becomes, it's all well and good having excellent driving mechanics and fancy cars but if you gave me a generic map with the same buildings repeating over and over again, driving in it would quickly become boring.

Some hidden places would be nice too, everyone loves that feeling you get when you drive through a secret tunnel or wherever and there's this little burst of adrenaline; even better if the environment is dynamic and more and more of these hidden little secrets and pathways are added as time passes.