The 2010 South Africa world cup thread!

First, M?ller did not get sent off the pitch during the game, so his one-game-ban is just a one-game-ban. Suarez was sent off during the game, even though it was just for the last minute.

Second, when Neuer was quick to get the ball back in the game he did nothing illegal. There is no rule forcing you to own up straight away, even if he did see it go across. If the ref later asked him if it was inside he has to be honest, but there are no consequences then such as a late goal.

The only really bad thing here is that it happened in the final minute of the game. If he got sent off around half way in the punishment would have been much harsher to the team.

Neuer: no booking(rightfully so, he didn't do anything wrong)
M?ller: two yellow cards for relatively minor infractions, misses next match(no contest here)
Suarez: handled the ball directly preventing a goal, misses a bit of the game and the next match(not enough IMHO)

In 2006 Frings missed the match against Italy over something minor in a post-match dispute. That was one match. Suarez misses one match. Should be more.

Mathematically speaking, according to a German professor's study that concluded that 74% of penalty kicks result in goals (directly, or indirectly off the rebound). Suarez's handball only had a 26% chance of actually accomplishing anything; he got lucky that Gyan's penalty was one of the 26% that didn't result in a goal. I guarantee you that if Gyan had scored, no one would give a shit about Suarez's handball on the line.

I don't understand the whining. Those guys in the WC have worked hard for the last 4 years to get to that point, so they are going to do anything possible to win. If Suarez hadn't blocked that shot with his hand it would have been a goal for sure and they would have lost. Maybe it was a little unsportmanslike, but at the end of the day those guys are not there to make friends or play nice, they are there to win. Besides as said, penalties have a high success rate anyway so it wasn't like they got completely off the hook with the hand block.

Weeeellll...so he is banned for one game?
On contrast, M?ller who saw two yellow cards in 5 matches is also banned for one game?
I dunno if this is fair.
I can understand why he did it but he should face harsher consequences.

Germanies Goalie(Neuer) was very quick to get the ball back into the game after the 3lion non-goal. I guess this too was a factor when the refs decided not to allow the goal. That too was quick thinking but he was in his right to do that even if he knew the ball was across the line. Suarez otoh was NOT in his right to do what he did even if it was necessaray. The consequences don't fit the deed. Just my opinion.

...but then again this isn't always a fair game.

I don't see how you can say Suarez should be punished further, but defend Neuer. IMO...what Neuer did was worse plus he escaped any sort of punishment.

Uh... what Neuer did is not punishable at all...

What I meant was that Suarez at least played within the rules. There probably isn't any rule to cover what Neuer did. If I put myself in either one of their shoes, I could see myself doing what Suarez did....I really can't picture myself doing what Neuer did though. Sort of the same thing with the Maradona and Henry handballs.

I don't understand the whining. Those guys in the WC have worked hard for the last 4 years to get to that point, so they are going to do anything possible to win. If Suarez hadn't blocked that shot with his hand it would have been a goal for sure and they would have lost. Maybe it was a little unsportmanslike, but at the end of the day those guys are not there to make friends or play nice, they are there to win. Besides as said, penalties have a high success rate anyway so it wasn't like they got completely off the hook with the hand block.

My beef is with this being a valid tactic.

I don't see how you can say Suarez should be punished further, but defend Neuer. IMO...what Neuer did was worse plus he escaped any sort of punishment.
Neuer immediately returned the ball back to the game after the refs didn't give the goal for England. He didn't leave them any time to reconsider. That's not punishable. But it also isn't very sporting.
I remember thinking to myself 'that was quick'. When I watched the repeat I din't really know wether to applaud him for his quick thinking or to gnash my teeth. Either way. He did nothing actionable.

That jab was entirely unnecessary. The rule is you can't use your hand, and there is a punishment for that. So that's playing within the rules...he made a decision and accepted the punishment. Towards the end of basketball games players foul their opponents, which sends them to the free throw line to shoot baskets. That's playing within the rules. Do you get it, asshole?

Let me see if I got your logic straight:

Breaking another players neck with your hands during the game is within the rules -- because it's a foul and fouls are part of the game, right? So murdering someone during the game is within the rules, because it will bring a tactical advantage and there is a punishment for it in the rules: The red card.

Man, I'm glad you're not running the FIFA, pal ;)

Last edited:
It's not a slippery slope. If that were the case, then FIFA would have handed down a stiffer penalty for Suarez. Just like if a player broke somebodys neck, there would be very severe penalties associated with that.

The rules are there and can be bent accordingly to gain an advantage. That's all he did. He did not operate outside of the rules....he basically just decided (so to speak) that giving up a penalty and being sent off is worth the risk. The rules account for such a thing.

And we see all the time players fouling others for whatever reason, and they are penalized accordingly (yellow card, free kick etc). Nobody is breaking necks and murdering people, so there is no point even bringing up such a ridiculous scenario.

*edit

And for the record, breaking somebody's neck (on purpose) or murder are criminal acts. So the sporting regulations don't really even need to factor in.

Last edited:
Well it's the rules that you get red for playing the ball with your hands.
He did it and he got red.
Without that, his team would have lost for sure, this opened an opportunity.
I still think it's an asshole move and Ghana should have won, but it was dealt with within the rules. Football has precise rules for that stuff, it's not like F1 were after a race everyone gets moved for some stupid comission decisions.

I still think it's an asshole move and Ghana should have won

well, if we go down the "should have" road, the free kick leading to the foul should have never been given and the offside before suarez's handball move should have been flagged.

Uh... what Neuer did is not punishable at all...

There's a tiny, tiny chance that someone could argue Neuer could be booked for simulation (which I'd vehemently disagree with, but I could see someone making the argument). But since the referee didn't believe the ball was across the line, he didn't believe Neuer did anything wrong.

Here's a hilarious song for you Germans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cpnnzhimjQ

Last edited:
There's a tiny, tiny chance that someone could argue Neuer could be booked for simulation (which I'd vehemently disagree with, but I could see someone making the argument). But since the referee didn't believe the ball was across the line, he didn't believe Neuer did anything wrong.

Here's a hilarious song for you Germans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cpnnzhimjQ

I would assume the rules don't account for players pretending the ball didn't cross the line. A lot of times players claim throw ins or corners or goal kicks, even though they surely must know that their side was the last to play the ball....not a very honest thing to do, but I don't know what the rules say about it.

I would assume the rules don't account for players pretending the ball didn't cross the line. A lot of times players claim throw ins or corners or goal kicks, even though they surely must know that their side was the last to play the ball....not a very honest thing to do, but I don't know what the rules say about it.

True, though it could be broadly put under the category of attempting to deceive the referee. I don't know, it was just a thought, if someone genuinely felt that way I would probably call them an idiot, but it popped into my head.