Random Thoughts....

Well it was fun while it lasted. I also have to spread some more monocle smile before I give it to BlaRo again ;p

Go for the junior designer position! It may pay less, but if it's in the direction you're aiming for, it will do wonders for future job prospects!

You're just applying to the jobs, not accepting them. Go for both and take whatever you can get in this economy!

See, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to apply for the designer position as I've been trying for well over a year to get into the industry and now I'm not even sure if I want to bother with that anymore. Especially as I'm having better luck getting into non-related fields. I still applied for it as whatever I can get I'm happy with just as long as I know what I'm doing.

Unfortunately, Australia has some of the most overpriced housing in the world. $300,000 would get you a detatched 3-bedroom ex-council house in a bad suburb, where your neighbours will have violent dogs and domestic arguments every night. $600,000 on the other hand would get you a 5+ bedroom house in a good suburb, where your neighbours will be more concerned with ensuring their Ford Territory is the next trim level up from yours. Around where I live, $400,000 is around the price you'd pay for a nice, ~3-4 bedroom house in a good, livable location. It's probably more expensive in Melbourne, though.

Wow. Since your currency is pegged nearly 1:1 with us, I can tell you that $300,000 will buy a nice new house in a nice neighborhood here in the Chicago area, and we have the highest house prices in the whole Midwest. I live in a nice area, the house is a 1300 square foot two story semi detached (garages are attached) and I paid $194,000 with many options, like wall to wall wood floor downstairs and house length front porch.

Wow. Since your currency is pegged nearly 1:1 with us, I can tell you that $300,000 will buy a nice new house in a nice neighborhood here in the Chicago area, and we have the highest house prices in the whole Midwest. I live in a nice area, the house is a 1300 square foot two story semi detached (garages are attached) and I paid $194,000 with many options, like wall to wall wood floor downstairs and house length front porch.

They also have considerably higher salaries, minimum wage is at least twice what is legislated in the US. $300k won't even get you a 1 bedroom flat in the SF Bay area, not even way out of town. I'm not sure how you can compare?

Well the Bay Area, as NecroJoe can attest, has artificially high prices like my area. Just speaking from my own personal experience, since I have only lived in a relatively small area in the US.

In others thoughts, someone I know on Facebook asked for suggestion on music for a wedding. I replied:

You probably want to look at the American Top 40 charts and pick dance songs from there. Also, and I think it is by law, you have to play "I will survive" by Gloria Gaynor so that the single women can dance in a circle and sing the song loudly at each other. Why they do this dance circle singing thing is a mystery to myself, much like the feminine hygiene isle at the supermarket.

Yeah. I don't visit that isle. EVER. Some things, like menstruation, are best left a mystery to me.

I has a taco. :)

It's actually becomming quite popular for people here to invest in property in the US. It's much easier to buy into than our market. What are rental prices like over there? For example here, a semi-detatched 2 bedroom house just outside the city centre is usually around $280 p/w.

:mad: I don't like that some unknown bands make promo tapes that will never see the light of day, yet the music is so damn good :(.

On a side note, I've restarted learning to use a pick. No point in being a one trick pony... it's so... different.

You probably want to look at the American Top 40 charts and pick dance songs from there.

I hate being a spelling nazi but there is no "t", "o", "p", or "40" in Metallica.

*Cough cough cough sputter cough gag*

$300,000 will buy about a quarter of the entire city of Detroit. No, not just one house in one section, one quarter of the entire city.

Unfortunately, it looks like Mogadishu. And it will probably be on fire.

Unfortunately, Australia has some of the most overpriced housing in the world. $300,000 would get you a detatched 3-bedroom ex-council house in a bad suburb, where your neighbours will have violent dogs and domestic arguments every night. $600,000 on the other hand would get you a 5+ bedroom house in a good suburb, where your neighbours will be more concerned with ensuring their Ford Territory is the next trim level up from yours. Around where I live, $400,000 is around the price you'd pay for a nice, ~3-4 bedroom house in a good, livable location. It's probably more expensive in Melbourne, though.

Sydney has the most overpriced housing market in the western world according to wiki.

Last edited: