UK Town to forbid swimming lessons during Ramadan because Muslims might swallow water

D

D-Fence

Schools advised against swimming lessons in Ramadan
Swimmer The swimming guidelines are aimed at "removing barriers to full participation"

Swimming lessons in some Staffordshire schools should stop during Ramadan to ensure Muslim pupils "do not swallow water", a council has suggested.

Stoke-on-Trent City Council has issued an 11-page Ramadan guide for schools to help pupils who may be fasting when the school year starts in September.

It said swimming was acceptable to Muslims but posed a high risk of swallowing water that may break a fast.

Islam requires Muslims to fast from dawn until dusk for one month per year.

This year's Ramadan is expected to begin on or around 11 August and finish 30 days afterwards.

The council guide states: "Schools with a significant number of Muslim pupils should try to avoid scheduling swimming lessons during Ramadan to remove unnecessary barriers to full participation."

It also suggests re-scheduling sex education classes during the holy lunar month, as Muslim followers who have reached puberty are required to avoid sexual thoughts during this period.

Because of the religious requirement for Muslims to avoid eating during sunlight hours, some pupils get up before dawn to eat with their families.

Schools have been advised this can disrupt pupils' sleeping patterns and it suggests examinations could be re-scheduled to reflect their lower levels of concentration.

"The overriding consideration should be that children do not feel disadvantaged in school activities because of their religious observance," the council said.

It said the document, produced by its Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education, was based on information from the Muslim Council of Britain, (MCB) an umbrella organisation that claims to represent up to 500 Muslim groups in the UK.

A spokesman for the MCB said: "[We] issued an advisory document which highlighted parental concerns from a broad spectrum of Muslim traditions.
'Out of proportion'

"These were guidelines designed to be helpful, to understand the concerns of certain Muslim parents. They are not obligatory or in no way directive. At the end of the day, the educational development and the welfare of the pupil is paramount."

But Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Society said the guidance is out of proportion.

"Surely it should be possible for Muslim pupils to be withdrawn from those elements of the school day that they don't want to participate in without imposing these restrictions on everybody, Muslim or not.

"It is wrong that everyone in schools should be forced to observe Islamic laws when they may have no meaning for them.

"Rearranging the whole school routine for a whole month to satisfy the religious needs of a few is totally out of proportion."

I bet a Muslim who drowns during Ramadan goes to hell too......
UK is really pushing forward in fucking over their whole heritage & culture with overly strict political correctness......Seriously.

I bet a Muslim who drowns during Ramadan goes to hell too......
UK is really pushing forward in fucking over their whole heritage & culture with overly strict political correctness......Seriously.

QFT. But then again the hypocrisy of beaurocracy the world over never ceases to amaze me.

Is anyone up for forming the CFSCB Common Fucking Sense Council of Britain? Seeing as things like this are happening it appears that people with common sense are a minority just like Muslims.

"Rearranging the whole school routine for a whole month to satisfy the religious needs of a few is totally out of proportion."

That says it all really.

I have a pretty considerable number of Muslim friends (the real kind, not the pretend ones you mostly get in Germany) and from what I gather the whole ramadan thing allows for quite a bit of leeway. You?re excused from fasting if you?re pregnant, sick, travelling long distances, or quite generally in a stressful situation (I don?t know if exams qualify).

It?s obviously up to each individual to decide whether or not they want to demonstrate their religious belief no matter what the circumstances are. But if you put your religion before your education/job/whatever that is your business and yours alone, if you can?t work around the fact that you?ll be losing ground against some of the other people around you then that?s too bad.

The worst part is that swimming is acceptable during Ramadan. this reeks of someone trying to be oversensitive, which screws over everyone.

To be fair, your thread title is misleading; throughout the article I see that "the council has suggested" "the council had advised" "[We] issued an advisory document which highlighted parental concerns from a broad spectrum of Muslim traditions." "They are not obligatory or in no way directive."

I see nowhere an out and out ban on swimming; just the council overreacting to some suggestions.

When are school holidays in the UK again? July and August? Then this is not going to be an issue for the next 4 years or so, as ramadan will fall into them.

It is. I worked with a guy who is orthodox Muslim and that is all he consumed during the day. He was a bit edgy without his coffee, though. :lol:

If any of you have friends who are Muslim, see if you can get invited to a sunset dinner, the food is AWESOME.

You spelled "UK Town Stupid" wrong.

Also, this
It is. I worked with a guy who is orthodox Muslim and that is all he consumed during the day. He was a bit edgy without his coffee, though. :lol:

If any of you have friends who are Muslim, see if you can get invited to a sunset dinner, the food is AWESOME.

Oh god yes it is. In college when I helped run the largest student center on campus during Ramadan there was always this enormous feast laid out right after sunset. AWESOME, AWESOME food and since I helped them set up I usually got to try out some new stuff. Things I couldn't even pronounce but so tastey.

That says it all really.

I have a pretty considerable number of Muslim friends (the real kind, not the pretend ones you mostly get in Germany) and from what I gather the whole ramadan thing allows for quite a bit of leeway. You?re excused from fasting if you?re pregnant, sick, travelling long distances, or quite generally in a stressful situation (I don?t know if exams qualify).

It?s obviously up to each individual to decide whether or not they want to demonstrate their religious belief no matter what the circumstances are. But if you put your religion before your education/job/whatever that is your business and yours alone, if you can?t work around the fact that you?ll be losing ground against some of the other people around you then that?s too bad.

QFT.

Got a link to a creditable source for the original.

Something similar was totally debunked on The Now Show the other week as a whole bunch of spin and lies. I'll dig out the MP3 is anyone wants it.

Also I think drinking water is fine during the day on Ramadan you just cant have anything else.

No sir, nothing can be eaten or drunk during the fast.

Drinking water only is some indian tradition as far as I know and that muslim guy you met must not be aware of that.

How would a Muslim eat and drink when Ramadan is during summer and if he lives, say, in Inari?

How would a Muslim eat and drink when Ramadan is during summer and if he lives, say, in Inari?

Depends on the individual, if he or she can, good. If they cannot, because of a genuine reason, OK.

No, you cannot consume anything. Yes, if you consume something like swallow water by mistake during swimming you are forgiven, anything intentional is not allowed, UK over sensitizes and assumes they know better than us what you're supposed to do, yet another retard H&S policy. Anyone fasting should just not swim, that's all they should do.

Also i look forward to the noms to be had in Ramadan, it's epic every year :D

when i was at school the couple of muslim students just didnt do swimming lessons during ramadan, to forbid all pupils from swimming lessons is just a terrible overreaction.

No sir, nothing can be eaten or drunk during the fast.

Drinking water only is some indian tradition as far as I know and that muslim guy you met must not be aware of that.

Most of the Muslims I knew from my college were from India, few from Pakistan too, maybe that was the reason.