Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

GIS has been Bing-ified:

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2010/07/20/GIS.jpg

Edit: Biggest new feature is basically that you get some information when you hover on photos, and that it's got the unlimited scroll thing like Bing. I don't like that since it doesn't feel natural, you have to wait for the thumbnails to catch up if you scroll too fast.

Last edited:
I hope you can turn it off. That was the thing I most disliked about Bing.

Pretty sure you can't... it disappeared for a while but came back up.

I noticed that yesterday. Looks like a bad MSpaint collage.

While mother's MSi U100 is rather nice I REALLY hate the touch pad. It has tap for double click that can't be turned off and no scrolling. :|
I think my MBP's must spoil me with it's fancy touch pad features for such things that I keep trying to use on this and becoming angry. If apple ever ruins that I am going to set their stores on fire.

Are you sure it has the proper drivers? My Dell's touchpad operated but was a bit stupid from the factory, but after getting the driver pack from Dell's website, it supports all the fancy stuff and works exactly as I want it to.

I think Synaptics released drivers that retroactively support multitouch for some Apple-like functionality, but I haven't bothered to try it on my netbook yet. Regardless, if even edge scrolling doesn't work, you probably either don't have the best driver or need to configure it manually.

Whenever I connect both PCs with a cable (crossed or regular ethernet) the laptop just shows "connected" and the desktop says something like "limited connectivity"

IIRC My modem/router thingy automatically enables DHCP.
How do I go to the TCP/IP settings? (sorry for all the stupid questions)and do i need to do this for both PCs seperately?

It all depends on how you have things set up. Please open a new thread in Tech Help and we'll figure it out.

meh installing drivers on mom's computer is like bringing an optical mouse to the library because they have trackball ones.
I only really use the damn thing if mom is making me babysit the dog downstairs and I don't have my laptop.

meh installing drivers on mom's computer is like bringing an optical mouse to the library because they have trackball ones.
I only really use the damn thing if mom is making me babysit the dog downstairs and I don't have my laptop.

I don't touch family members' computers. When the computer inevitably starts having issues a few days/weeks after I use it, they say it must have been whatever I did because they "only-use-it-for-email-and-it-has-never-done-this-before-omg-omg-omg". I just bring my computer everywhere I go, or use my phone if I can't be bothered to unpack the computer. If they have a specific problem and ask me to fix it, I'll give my opinion of whether it will be quickly fixable, and then if they agree not to hold me responsible if it completely breaks and they lose all their data ("you do have backups, right?"), I'll take a shot at it.

I don't touch family members' computers. When the computer inevitably starts having issues a few days/weeks after I use it, they say it must have been whatever I did because they "only-use-it-for-email-and-it-has-never-done-this-before-omg-omg-omg". I just bring my computer everywhere I go, or use my phone if I can't be bothered to unpack the computer. If they have a specific problem and ask me to fix it, I'll give my opinion of whether it will be quickly fixable, and then if they agree not to hold me responsible if it completely breaks and they lose all their data ("you do have backups, right?"), I'll take a shot at it.

Exactly why I hate doing computer work for my parents.

Thankfully after our original computer continued to get viruses and such years after I stopped using it and my computer never got one, my mom figured out I hadn't been the cause of computer failings and stopped blaming me for that shit.

Thankfully after our original computer continued to get viruses and such years after I stopped using it and my computer never got one, my mom figured out I hadn't been the cause of computer failings and stopped blaming me for that shit.

i'm still waiting for my mum to get to that point.
she has her own computer that i NEVER even touch, but i'm still the one to blame for everything, simply because she can't blame anyone else. also because the router is on my desk i guess...

My mother is seemingly more capable with computer things than many other mothers. She is so good in fact she might be stalking me and reading this post right now D:

My mother is seemingly more capable with computer things than many other mothers. She is so good in fact she might be stalking me and reading this post right now D:

in that case: hello kat's mom! :wave:

my mom is "ok" with computers, too, i'd say... but that doesn't keep her from blaming me for things she can't explain to herself. i don't really care anymore, i just ignore it <_<

GIS has been Bing-ified:

Edit: Biggest new feature is basically that you get some information when you hover on photos, and that it's got the unlimited scroll thing like Bing. I don't like that since it doesn't feel natural, you have to wait for the thumbnails to catch up if you scroll too fast.

I hope you can turn it off. That was the thing I most disliked about Bing.

Pretty sure you can't... it disappeared for a while but came back up.

Scroll all they way to the bottom of the page and click "Switch to basic version".

I'm looking for a replacement for my WRT54G, since it's randomly resetting back to factory settings.

I'm now looking for a WRT54GL, but i'd like to flash tomato firmware onto. I've seen there are multiple versions of the GL, but does tomato support all of them? what is the latest version of the GL?

you may want to check a list for a router that won't go to shit in a bit.

Researcher will enable hackers to take over millions of home routers

Cisco and company, you've got approximately seven days before a security researcher rains down exploits on your web-based home router parade. Seismic's Craig Heffner claims he's got a tool that can hack "millions" of gateways using a new spin on the age-old DNS rebinding vulnerability, and plans to release it into the wild at the Black Hat 2010 conference next week. He's already tested his hack on thirty different models, of which more than half were vulnerable, including two versions of the ubiquitous Linksys WRT54G (pictured above) and devices running certain DD-WRT and OpenWRT Linux-based firmware. To combat the hack, the usual precautions apply -- for the love of Mitnick, change your default password! -- but Heffner believes the only real fix will come by prodding manufacturers into action. See a list of easily compromised routers at the more coverage link.

you may want to check a list for a router that won't go to shit in a bit.

Or just change the default password and don't purposefully install an old firmware. :p

And to answer your question Werner, I'm fairly certain you can install Tomato on any version of the WRT54GL.

Last edited:
Get a Linksys-Cisco E1000, E2000, or E3000. They're great routers and I love my E2000.