The Android thread

You should be able to increase the size of the area to be used for the wallpaper, just touch the corner of the box and drag.

Well that I should've been thinking of - that works, thanks! :)

Either way, I'm still unsure about the correct image width and height to not having to crop away anything...

It is 960x800.

I really don't know, I think it's different for every home type. In Sense, for instance, it's even closer to a full square than 960x800. So just make sure the wallpaper is wider than it is tall and you'll be able to crop it properly, once you stretch the crop tool to the max.

I personally use this one:

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2010/07/25/water_2.jpg

It's not exactly 800 pixels, but the stretch isn't visible and the icons and widgets floating around on water droplets makes for a really nice effect.

Well, on my Hero, the screen is 480 x 320, and wallpapers are 640 x 480. If I use anything with a 4:3 aspect ratio no cropping is required. That seems to fit the pattern.

Well, the default cropping position is just a suggestion, if you just accept, you'll get a pixelated image. Best to just crop beforehand and then use the whole height of the image.

So it turns out 960x800 is correct for a wallpaper. It's kind of hard to tell whether such a picture becomes a 1:1 pixel wallpaper when transferred onto the phone (which is what I am after) because the pixels on its touchscreen are not aligned rectangular but hexagonal. I don't like these screens that much because they always give the impression of a slightly unsharp image as they can not display a thin, straight line as one solid line of pixels. Yet, the display of the Galaxy S i9000 has such a high resolution that you don't really notice. So as strange as it is having to zoom up a frame to make a picture fit the screen which should fit by default, 960x800 works fine.

And my life with the Samsung and Android goes along nicely. I'm constantly finding interesting functions, bits and pieces and nice apps and widgets.

One problem I still have to overcome though: a number of apps and widgets refuse to work with 3G internet connection. With my WiFi at home everything works fine. But when I'm out and using 3G, only a few things still work. The Android Market for example works flawlessly with it. So do the Weather Bug and the Opera browser. So generally, it works. But apps like the standard browser, Steel and the Dolphin browser refuse to work with it. They try to load a page and these is a bit of data traffic (Network Speed confirms this), but then the page never loads and the browser just gives up after a while. So is there a setting hidden somewhere where I have to enable the use of 3G for all apps?

EDIT: ... problem solved, Google came to the rescue! It turns out that there is an error in the settings for my mobile internet connection somewhere, and that the only actual information the phone needs is the APN. I found someone on some random Android forum having the same problem and doing exactly that, and it worked for him as well for me. My connection was auto-configured via a "self-configuring" text message from my provider. And from what I can see, all the data (Proxy IP/port and the likes) was correct according to their information of how to set up mobile internet. Yet, 3G only works with every app if I throw out every single setting except the APN. So this time, less is actually more - who would have known... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
EDIT: ... problem solved, Google came to the rescue! It turns out that there is an error in the settings for my mobile internet connection somewhere, and that the only actual information the phone needs is the APN. I found someone on some random Android forum having the same problem and doing exactly that, and it worked for him as well for me. My connection was auto-configured via a "self-configuring" text message from my provider. And from what I can see, all the data (Proxy IP/port and the likes) was correct according to their information of how to set up mobile internet. Yet, 3G only works with every app if I throw out every single setting except the APN. So this time, less is actually more - who would have known... :rolleyes:

Makes sense- I have to untick the "use proxy" option on my WinMo phone for a lot of stuff to work. Seems the proxy allows through web traffic but nothing else (like POP3 mail). Are you on T-Mobile by any chance?

T-Mobile by any chance?
god no! :p

I have a 1&1 card, they use the O2 network.

Anyway, there is another problem which probably isn't one/can be solved. It's about WiFi connections. So I have two WiFi nets, one where I parents live and one at my flat. Obviously, they will have different settings for IP/network mask/SSID and so on. Both nets do not broadcast themselves and do not give out IPs on their own.

Now, I can store a range of known WiFi networks in the mobile by manually putting in the SSID and the password. But I can only set one IP and one network mask, which means that I need to switch these settings around manually all the time. So my question is: is there an app that can manage WiFi connections including the IP? I found a couple of WiFi managers, but they all said that you need to set the IP manually in the phone, which means that I'm still glued to one single setting.

Last edited:
I just got my first ever mms and it played just fine with the pre-set APN that came with the stock rom. *shrug*

Sprint just pushed out a text message to everyone with a Moment for a software update to 2.1, and it seems... cumbersome.

http://shop.sprint.com/en/software_...samsung_moment.shtml?ECID=vanity:momentupdate

Software update for the Samsung Moment

Enhance the features and capabilities of your Samsung Moment with this software update, including 2.1 Android update.
This update includes:
2.1 Android update (?clair).
Keypad backlight optimization.
Bulk Bluetooth contact push.
Various Bluetooth fixes.
Increased speed and performance.
Swipe to Unlock/Mute/Speakerphone.
New camera features
Pandora enhancements
Please follow these steps below to ensure your device is updated correctly:
1. Uninstall the existing Samsung USB drivers on your computer if they are version 4.40 or earlier. Follow these instructions to uninstall the proper files.
2. Once you've restarted your computer from the driver uninstall, follow these step-by-step instructions to ensure a successful update.

Can't I just tell my phone to check for updates?

I don't see why not, but I don't have a Moment so I don't know if they made some weird change to the update process.

Speaking of updates, I've heard a couple rumors of 2.2 for the Droid either this Friday or next Friday. Then again, these sorts of rumors pop up every week so who knows.

It hadn't gotten 2.1 yet? Eew.

It got it a while ago (same time as the Sprint Hero), I guess they are now sending people text messages about it. My brother refuses to update for some reason.

Can't I just tell my phone to check for updates?
Turns out I can't. So far as I can tell, I have to use this process.

Really easy, I dont mod or rootkit or anything and I easily uprgraded my moment. Just like 5 min work most of it just sitting around loading stuff.
How?

Chaps,

The Android lineup confuses the shit out of me.

If I live in an area where I can get most Android phones unlocked, what's the best phone out there? (If budget is not an issue)

Or do I just go for the iPhone 4? :p I'm quite happy with my 3G as it stands but Android does appeal to my geek side.

Cheers!

Performance wise I'd go with a Galaxy S, but get rid of TouchWiz. 2nd in line is the Droid X, then Evo 4G (larger screen) or N1/Desire/Incredible (smaller screen, a bit faster).

Performance wise I'd go with a Galaxy S, but get rid of TouchWiz. 2nd in line is the Droid X, then Evo 4G (larger screen) or N1/Desire/Incredible (smaller screen, a bit faster).

Hmm, I don't quite like the looks of the Galaxy S, but the Droid X seems very tempting. Thanks Ice :)