Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_15589241

Bear rolls off in car in Larkspur

Ralph Story doesn't hold anything against bears, even though one broke into his car early Friday morning in Larkspur and totaled it.

"He was just looking for something to eat; that's what bears do," Story said. "Anyone who lives out here knows there's going to be wildlife here. We learn to live with it."

His 17-year-old son Ben, who usually drives the car, had left a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and a deodorant in the car, which is probably what attracted the bear, according to officials who talked to Story.

Early in the morning a black bear opened an unlocked car door. After he got in, the door closed behind him, Story said.

The Storys believe that as the bear shuffled around the car looking for a way out, he bumped into the gear shift and put the automatic transmission into neutral, sending the car rolling 125 feet back down a hill. It hit a few trees before coming to a stop in some brush.

The 2008 Toyota Corolla is being called a total loss, Story said. The interior is ripped up, the dashboard was torn out, the windshield is broken, and the airbags went off, he said.

"It was a big bear, full grown. It took up both front seats in the car," Story said.

The insurance company will cover the damage.

The bear's joy ride started at approximately 2:30 a.m., when Story's neighbors began hearing strange noises from the home.

After hearing honking from a car for about 45 minutes, a neighbor decided to go see what the noise was.

"She thought we weren't here so she figured our teens were the ones making the racket," Story said.

As she got close she noticed something seemingly violent happening in a car, so she called the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, Story said.

A sergent and two deputies responded to the call that was supposed to be a check on a suspicious vehicle.

"The deputies were really surprised, they had thought it was maybe kids," said Michelle Rademacher, a spokeswoman for the sheriff's office.

"We got the call at about 4:15 a.m., it was one of those 'oh my God' calls," Story said.

Of the five family members in the house, only Story's wife Stacey, had heard some noises, but had ignored them, not knowing they were coming from their own car.

The bear was freed at about 5 a.m. when deputies used a long rope to open the car from a distance, allowing the bear to run off.

Story said the adventure will be a fond memory, and he plans to blow up and frame one of the pictures taken Friday morning.

"When you have teenage kids, it's kind of hard to get your whole family together," Story said. "Last night we were all out there laughing."

Priceless.

I knew I had forgotten something important today. I forgot there is Top Gear today.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/21/video-17-year-old-swaps-old-phone-for-porsche-boxster-on-craigs/

Video: 17-year-old swaps old phone for Porsche Boxster on Craigslist

If you don't currently own a Porsche Boxster, you probably wouldn't mind having one in the garage. Seventeen-year-old Steven Ortiz turned wishes and hopes into hard work and determination to finally land a shiny silver 2000 Boxster, but he didn't tap into a trust fund or bust open a few piggy banks to meet his goal. All he used was an old cell phone, Craigslist and a lot of time.

Ortiz bartered that phone for an iPod, then traded the iPod for a dirt bike and from the dirt bike came a series of cars, an SUV and finally one mighty attractive drop-top with an engine in the boot. The man just got his license and he's already rocking a Porsche... what a country.

The local ABC affiliate in Glendora, California interviewed Ortiz, and from the limited shots of the car, the man's Boxster looks far better than even the smartest of smart phones. Hit the jump to watch the video for yourself, and if you're thinking of asking Ortiz to swap some old junk for an Italian exotic, his friends already beat you to it. It's apparently harder to do than it sounds.

[Source: ABC News]

I have to say, that was a really good trade up.

I have to say, that was a really good trade up.

The SUV he finally ended up trading for the Boxster was a first generation Bronco, though. Personally, I would have stopped trading at that.

The SUV he finally ended up trading for the Boxster was a first generation Bronco, though. Personally, I would have stopped trading at that.

Bah. If you are going for a Brono: fifth generation, white. :p

No, put the 1st gen up on eBay and watch it reach ridiculous price - then you'd end up with cash to buy whatever. :p

Infidel!

In other automotive random thoughts, yesterday when I downshifted and subsequently floored the throttle to pass a slow vehicle (one of those infernal 45kph vehicles generally driven by old and/ or disabled people) I got a genuine chuckle from Maud who was on the backseat. I love my daughter :mrgreen: <3 <3

In other automotive random thoughts, yesterday when I downshifted and subsequently floored the throttle to pass a slow vehicle (one of those infernal 45kph vehicles generally driven by old and/ or disabled people) I got a genuine chuckle from Maud who was on the backseat. I love my daughter :mrgreen: <3 <3

Awww, you're starting her young! :evil:

So the Daily Telegraph just announced that the Infiniti M37 is arriving in the UK. To the Brits on this board, how is Infiniti doing over there? Is it even on the radar?

Dear owner of a Peugeot 206,

I saw your Car at a shopping centre some days ago, and took this picture to make a point.

http://img835.imageshack.**/img835/9332/206z.jpg

I?m sorry this hits you, but I have to take my frustation out on someone on this topic. You?re probably a decent guy or gal, working hard for your money and I honestly like your Car. You?ve fitted nice rims, a nice bodykit, there?s a nice front-mod going on, some nice aftermarket rear-lights and it?s all in a nice, cool black. Even the spoiler isn?t too bad, and I usally make fun of spoilers on FWD cars like yours.
I like your car just to the point when it comes to what you put on your cars doors.
The fucking stickers. I don?t know you, but are you a professional driver and these are your sponsors? I don?t think so. You?re not a professional. You put those there because that?s where the cool pros have their sponsors stickers, or someone you think is cool has a car that you think is cool does so. These stickers you put on your car, they are the opposite of sponsoring. You payed those companies for their equipment, not gotten it for free. Not that you will have a NOS System at all ... let?s be honest here, your Plates are german ... so you even lie there.
And nobody will belive these are your sponsors. What everyone will belive is that you?re the type of guy or gal that thinks having some big company names on the side of your car, will make people take your Car more serious. It?s just pretentious like running around in a shirt full of advertisments that you don?t get payed for. I know the professionals do it, but first of all they look bloody stupid doing that and secondly they get payed SHITLOADS of Money to look like stupid Advertising columns and without the money, they?d never do it. You copy the stupidest aspect of motorsports, the advertising ... and you don?t get payed for it. That?s not cool, that makes you look like a complete douche running after something you don?t really understand.
But otherwise there is nothing wrong with your car. Your car looks very, very good. You started with a run of the mill Peugeot 206 and improved it massively. You don?t need pretentious company-stickers! It?s good as it was without those!
So rip that bloody shit off. If you want a Name on your car, choose a Name that gives credit to someone responsible for the work and money that went into your car ... your own (or your parents if you?re a spoiled brat). Maybe but it on the rear windows ... with a little flag next to it. That?s something they do in motorsports that?s not pretentious ...

Yours,

the guy with the boring Audi and the crappy camera-phone.

Last edited:
I was reviewing a uhaul contract for a tow dolly when I noticed in the fine print that you're not allowed to use a Ford Explorer as the towing vehicle. Made me chuckle. Is that a remnant from the Firestone fiasco you think?

That is exactly why it's in there. U-Haul was a collateral lawsuit casualty of the Firestone debacle and they have no interest in ever being so again.

That said, avoid U-Haul as they have the worst equipment in the industry and many of their trucks cannot pass a basic safety inspection. I had one of their trailers have a brake failure that cost me an XJ6 I was trailering home and cost U-haul repairs on their truck I was hauling it with.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
No, put the 1st gen up on eBay and watch it reach ridiculous price - then you'd end up with cash to buy whatever. :p

Sounds like a plan to me, but the 17 year old in question isn't old enough to use eBay.

I suppose he could Craigslist it for cash?

And for the second time since I got my license, I manage to get a ticket for going 1km/h over the allowed tolerance...

Well didnt many SS officers escape to South America? ;)

Last edited: