The Golf Omnibus Thread

RaptorJesus

Resident Callboy
Post all golf related comings and goings, tournament thoughts, your love of John Daly:lol: etc.

I shot my first under 50 over 9 yesterday. 47 was awesome for me, my drives were straight and long, my approaches not terrible and nary a 3 putt all day. I consider it an achievement because it was really blowing out there, like 30 mph wind. Also I've only been playing for like 3 months, and I got within 5 strokes of a guy who is a 4 handicapper. To be honest he was having an off day, so that doesn't mean much but I'll take what I can get.

Also I had a congratulatory John Daly when I got home. Its an Arnold Palmer (50/50 iced tea and lemonade) but with three shots of vodka:mrgreen:.

Last edited:
Last week I hit every fairway off the tee.. which is a MASSIVE thing for me. I'm the type of player who off the tee hits it 270 out but it goes 50 to 100 to the right haha.

And this year was the first time I had 3 holes in a row where I hit par or better.

I miss my old golf scores :( There is a par 64 course a couple blocks away from my house. When I was 15 I was shooting 70-75 consistently (like 60 times a year consistently). On the same course, the last time I was there I shot a 85 :(:(

But I need new irons badly. The ones I currently have are from 8 years ago and have intermediate graphic shafts which I over flex causing random shots. I love my Nike Sumo SQ driver and 3 wood though.

Last edited:
I love golf. Been playing for 14 years, captained my high school team for two and played varsity for all four and made sectionals twice.

Best score ever was 74. 39-35. I shot a 77 at Poppy Hills once, though, which would have translated to two or three under at my local muni.

I love golf. Been playing for 14 years, captained my high school team for two and played varsity for all four and made sectionals twice.

Best score ever was 74. 39-35. I shot a 77 at Poppy Hills once, though, which would have translated to two or three under at my local muni.

What sticks do you hit with?

Let's see...it's kind of a horrifying mishmash.
Nike forged pro combo irons, which have cavity backs for the 3-5 and are blades for 8-PW (3-pw), cleveland 588 RTG wedges (56 and 60 degrees), Titleist 975F fairway woods (13.5 and 18.5, so two wood and four wood) and I rotate between a Titleist 975J (10.5, stiff-flex shaft) and a Taylor Made R7 set up for Draw (8.5, regular-flex shaft).

After several years of not playing, this past month I've gone out twice for the first time in a while. Played the same course twice, first time out shot 101 on a par 72. Not awful for a first time back since I hardly warmed up, got no putting practice, and my total was a result of a 56 on the first nine and 45 on the second nine.

Went out to the same course against last week and had it down to an 88. Considering my handicap used to be in about the 16-18 range, I feel like I'm right back where I used to be.

I started playing 3 years ago but missed the entire last season due to injury. My friend and boss at the time taught me to play.

I generally shoot in the mid to high 90s on regular par 72s, and I don't use a driver. My longest club is a 23 degree hybrid :lol:.

Nickent 23 degree hybrid, Mizuno MX-17s (I like their heavy weight), Ping MB 56 degree wedge, and a Ping G2 Tess putter (I love this thing and would not give it to anyone, for anything :lol:).

I am currently looking at a Titleist 904 Fairway wood to add to my arsenal, I forget what loft, but my friend has one and I keep bugging him to sell it to me. It works really well for my swing.

I absolutely suck ass at using drivers, so I never bothered to try or learn. Once I'm comfortable with my wood, I might plan on getting a driver, eventually.

I absolutely suck ass at using drivers, so I never bothered to try or learn. Once I'm comfortable with my wood, I might plan on getting a driver, eventually.

I do too, the modern huge-headed "advanced" ones at least. I have an old small-headed one that I hit as if I were playing a fairway wood. Works pretty well, I can smack it about 270 yards down the middle of the fairway, my friends I play with can smash their expensive huge-headed drivers 300+ but it doesn't really make a difference in our scores. My 88 on a par 72 was good for 2nd place amongst me and the other 3 people I played with. And I was teeing off with a fairway wood half the time.

If you do want to hit the ball a bit further, I recommend trying a driver with a small head. Though I suppose what I'm really saying is, you don't need distance to score well, so it's actually not relevant. Improving scores is all about approach shots, chipping and putting. Spending $300 on a driver you can hit an extra 30 yards is totally not worth it.

Yeah, that is exactly my reasoning as well. Being unable to hit over 220 (on a perfectly hit hybrid shot, 180 carry, 40 roll thanks to my natural draw) yards means that I have to force myself to up my approach game and my putting, which, I am proud to say, I am not too bad at. I think once I finally end up with this 3 wood, I should be able to hit that distance comfortably, and maybe get 250 on good shots. We'll see how it pans out, however, I pay most attention to my approach game, anyway!

For you small head driver guys try the Taylormade R9. I hit that this weekend, and aww shit it was like hot fire. Tough to hit beautiful, versus the Callaway FT-iZ was super straight every time, but less distance.

Started my season with my new iron set, mizuno mx-100 5-sw and start has been promising, i have never managed to get sub100 par72 round and now ive started my "season" with 50,46 and 48. I also have 24-degree oozone hybrid, 20-degree oozone fairway-wood, 18-degree aaron scott 3-wood and benross innovator driver. Also i have benross 58-degree wedge and benross pure red putter (came as a gift when bought my driver). This season my wood play has been worse than last year but the irons have given a lot of extra reach compared to my old oozone set.

This is my 3rd full year (5-15 rounds per year) im playing this nerve wrecking hobby.

Last edited:
Well progress report, last 8 rounds over 9 have had an average of 52.5 I am very pleased with my work so far. Tomorrow playing in a scramble with a bunch of work people, feels like it will be wicked fun.

Have fun! I Haven't had the opportunity to go out and play in recent weeks. What with my first weekend with Starcraft 2, it's unlikely to happen this weekend, too haha.

Scramble was fun, we hit -11 for the day, too bad there was a team of ringers who shot -16. I did win a sweet raffle prize, Cleveland 2 iron rescue hybrid which matches my Launcher driver.

Just reserved a round of 18 at Cog Hill. Walking in the footsteps of Tiger Woods baby. Plus the greens should be nice and fresh after a post-BMW championship seeding.

Just purchased myself a set of Callaway X-22 irons (steel shafts). Got them for almost 50% off shipped.

Now, it's snowing outside so indoor golf, here I come!