F1 coming to USA

100 ft. in elevation change eh...not too shabby. Definitely going to be going to the USGP in 2012.

Proposed track design?

f1_track-640x374.png

Source? I hope that isn't the design, although funnily enough that's the exact area I was looking at last night on Google maps when they said the location was SE of the Airport. I'd get rid of a few of those corners, particularly the loop just after the start finish straight (assuming it's a clockwise direction). I really feel the last thing the F1 calendar and the US needs is another track that's exactly the same as every other circuit. It's a great opportunity to design something memorable, put the USA on the motorsport world map and not have another Tilkedrome.

Well I'm only going by the green arrow where presumably the S/F line is located. That final big loop is enough justification to run it clockwise anyway! As Vikirad said, if the radius is wide enough it could be a really epic piece of track.

This could be a good thing... Having another go at trying to get americans to like F1 :p
I hope it's successful this time, but I also hope they dont scratch an European GP to make way for this one.

The track looks nice, but would it be too hard to have some more figure of 8 tracks? I think they're spectacular and challenging.

Last edited:
I'm all for the "air misting system" part of that design. :)

Yeah that track map is just something that some guy made.
When will the track layout be released?

The track layout will be released later this summer (2010), along with renderings and a master plan.
From the actual GP website. http://www.formula1unitedstates.com/contact.html

But one good thing is that in interviews from Autosport and ESPN he states that
people will view it as a throwback to some of the older, traditional tracks
He also says that he wants to include something along the lines of the mad 4 apex turn from Turkey. If that is the case combined with the 100+ feet of elevation change I will be happy.

I am truly confident this can be done as well because It's in Texas, they are damn good at getting shit done.

I'm sure it'll turn out to be a better track then the Indy 'in-field' section which they used, so looking forward to this.

I hope T3-T10 will be as quick and as flowing as the Esses at Suzuka... if there's any hard braking involved in them, that's the beauty of that section gone. Also, they say that the braking zone for T1 is uphill, hopefully it's going to be nearly as uphill in terms of gradient as the one that used to be at the A1-Ring.

But, of course, please not enough for Jonathan Legard to spout any "up-the-hill"s fifty times a lap.

That's one weird track... so full of turns on one half, completely straight on the other... would be interesting to watch

Ditch that bullshit corner sequence at the end of that long back straight and it might be quite good. Hopefully there's a bit of gradient about the place.

:lol: I like Jalopnik's article title better than The Statesman's.

"Paying homage to Willie Nelson with its unmistakable shape, the designer hopes for some puff puff pass action on the long straight..."

My God they, they're they 'gulp' are turning right too!!!

So far it looks a great circuit actually - I hope this all comes off OK.

Last edited:
I know it's exaggerated for effect, but considering that the last corner is almost the lowest place on the track, T1 the highest one and there's probably about 35 m of elevation difference between them, the start-finish line and approach to Turn 1 should be reminiscent of the A1-Ring's first two corners, and those were good passing spots in their day (steep uphill hard-braking zones).