Beijing 2010: BMW surprises with Concept Gran Coup? (4-door coupe)

That should just be the 7 class. It looks infinitely less "coupe" esque than it's competitors

V6Aud.jpg

That is all.

Right.... time to upgrade my motor.

Can anyone lend me some money? :p

Please Build it BMW :mrgreen:

Looks great, but why do the photos look like ass?

Surely BMW has a decent photographer around the HQ somewhere?:lol:

BMW has such a ridiculous range; they are spreading themselves pretty thin these days. They have the 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 series. Then The X3, X5, X6 - and 5 GT + the Whole M line. And they are planning 2-3 more.. Ridiculous. They should just get rid of the X6 and 5GT, and make this! THe seriously need to cut their overhead, stop diluting the brand image and be more profitable - so they can rejoin F1 or DTM.

I wonder how big this concept is, more of an S5 or an M6? I hope its the former, but I bet its the latter.

This should definitely only have 2 doors.

Not onlly for asthetical reasons but also for practical reasons. All those hip 4-door "coup?s" are a pain to get into and out of for tall, big people like me.

And I don't mean the back seats!

Big coup?s should be roomy, with wide opening doors. But instead I still have a dent in my skull from banging my head numerous times on the door frame of a Passat CC...

Last edited:
p90059850.jpg

show me this pic, and i would've sworn it's an aston martin :eek:

Good News Everyone!

The BMW Concept Gran Coupe has been green lighted for production.

BMW has confirmed that its four-door Concept Gran coupe is heading for production - and that much of its design cues will be shared with the forthcoming new 6-series. Klaus Draeger - a BMW board member - made the revelations at a recent BMW 'Design Night' press event in Munich. Draeger did not go into depth on this, but the Gran coupe is expected to hit showrooms by the end of 2012, while the new two-door 6-series is due next year.
According to German car website Automobilwoche The Gran Coupe will also be priced close to the 6-series coupe in an attempt to grab customers who might otherwise be tempted by a Mercedes CLS, Audi A7 or even a Porsche Panamera.

Like the two-door, the Gran coupe is likely to be offered with the whole gamut of BMW engines - diesel and petrol sixes, a 400bhp twin-turbo 4.4-litre V8, and (hopefully) an M version with around 550bhp. No decision has been made on whether a hybrid version is also on the way, although it is a possibility. "Since we use the same drive architecture as the Five, Six or Seven, we are able to bring a hybrid version," said Draeger.
Unlike the Porsche Panamera, says Automobilwoche, the Gran Coupe will be a conventional saloon, as BMW felt a saloon body structure was safer in the event of a rear-end impact, and that the extra security of a saloon bodystyle was crucial for some markets.

At least we think that's what this means... our German isn't too hot, and Google Translate is hardly the most trustworthy tool: ""Damit haben sie immer einen st?rkeren Ger?uscheintrag in den Innenraum, weil sie den Kofferraum nicht gen?gend d?mmen k?nnen", begr?ndete Draeger diese Entscheidung. Zudem biete das Gran Coupe so einen besseren Einbruchschutz, was in manchen M?rkten von Bedeutung sei." Draeger also mentioned that BMW is toying with a 6-series shooting brake, but that it hadn't yet been given the green light.

Source: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=22266

* starts saving up.

Did this...

http://img839.imageshack.**/img839/1347/nnnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg

That's awesome news. :thumbsup:

I agree this "Four door coupe" terminology is bugging me, and has been since the quattroporte came out. It should really be called "A sedan with reduced headroom for adults in the back or giant rear quarter panels to make the roofline appear lower than it is, or both.". But i guess thats just too long to say on a brochure :D

Wow nice job BMW. I have been bummed of BMW design lately, but this is more like it while only concept.

It's a deal!
1millionthsync_1706s.jpg

A pity that it's a Concept.. Really should be the new 6 series, and they should also make a 2-door version of it.

133143d1252671957-evora-racecar-house-do-want_thumbnail.jpg

That's a good looking BMW right there.