Windows closing Windows Explorer

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
Hey guys, I haz a problem.

So my comp has this problem at times when I'm trying to access my external hard drives or copy stuff from ext hd to main HD or vice versa.

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lurkerpatrol/2010/07/31/windows_closing_windows.png

I was just trying to watch TG 15x05 which was stored in the videos section on my seagate external HD, when I came upon this crash.

As soon as I click close message it gives the "Windows explorer has encountered problems" error:

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lurkerpatrol/2010/07/31/windows_closing_windows2.png

...and I have to stop the exe in task manager (ctrl+alt+del.... I cant right click the clock either).

I have also gotten the Dr. Watson Postmortem debugger crashing once in a while when I try to access the ext HDs.

Now I can play games and work in photoshop and surf the net and all that, so it's not something that happens frequently or under normal use. I think it's just when I access the Ext. HDs.

So any ideas what is up? Why is windows closing windows?

Sincerely,
Xzibit

I mean LP.

Does your external hard disk come with some auto launching programs when double clicked in Windows Explorer? I'll give the drive a quick scan if i were you too.

What would happen if you try to move files off the external HDD, access them or put files on that drive? For that matter, what happens if you use Explorer to access anything? I would recommend you scan with Malwarebytes and Super Antispyware to see if anything is up.

What anti virus program do you use?

You might have iffy usb drivers or hard disk corruption or something, but I don't know. If you try accessing the external drive via a different program, does that one crash instead?

Does your external hard disk come with some auto launching programs when double clicked in Windows Explorer? I'll give the drive a quick scan if i were you too.

The hard-drive (thankfully) doesn't come with extraneous launching software. It just behaves like an HD, though it's not always spinning. It does spin down after a certain period of time and the computer will wait for the HD to spin up so it can access the files. I will scan the drive as you said, might be a good idea.

What would happen if you try to move files off the external HDD, access them or put files on that drive? For that matter, what happens if you use Explorer to access anything? I would recommend you scan with Malwarebytes and Super Antispyware to see if anything is up.

I tested this out just now and before and there weren't any problems. If you're curious I tried to move bender's big score (1.36 GB) from the external to my internal and it didn't have issues. Perhaps the file size wasn't so insurmountable enough to cause a crash? I'm not sure. Explorer doesn't have problems when I'm going through folders on my internal.

I'll do a scan on the entire system, probably letting it run overnight as there are a TON of files everywhere (this is an old puter, bought it in 2k6).

What anti virus program do you use?

Symantec Antivirus (given from Berkeley I think).

You might have iffy usb drivers or hard disk corruption or something, but I don't know. If you try accessing the external drive via a different program, does that one crash instead?

I have a ton of .CR2 files on the hard drive that I regularly access with Photoshop, and apart from the spin down issue I mentioned, there's no lag or crash usually.

If I come across it again I will detail exactly what I was doing when the crash occurred. I apologize for the ambiguity. In the meantime I'll do the scans as you guys recommended. Thanks!