Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

Skip Barber has released the winter regional series schedule:

2010-2011 Skip Barber Western Race Series schedule
Six double-race weekends
Rounds 1 & 2, November 6-7, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Calif.
Rounds 3 & 4, December 11-12, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Rounds 5 & 6, January 15-16, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Rounds 7 & 8, February 5-6, Chuckwalla Valley Raceway, Calif. NEW
Rounds 9 & 10, March 5-6, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Rounds 11 & 12, April 1-2, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

I've never even heard of Chuckwalla raceway...

Anyway, I don't know if I'll be doing the full series. But if I did, it'd be 14,000 for the races and add another 6 grand for practice days before each weekend. 20 grand for 12 races, coaching, crew and an F2000 car for the duration, with my name on it, ain't bad at all, but you have to pay up front to get that price since it's a 20% off bulk purchase discount.

They're also offering a lifetime of free track time if you just pay 300,000.

Last edited:
Phew, finally back from karting. I left early in the morning because I had to do a race to makeup for one I missed earlier this year, follow by my normal schedule's race. I'm very tired and my back hurts, but I managed to place 3rd in both races. I even beat out an experienced driver in the 2nd race and was within .7 seconds of the 2nd place driver (Who also has a couple years of experience).

Congratulation :)

Congratulation :)

Thanks.

The pain really kicks in today, pretty much everything hurts. Ah well, it was still a good day. Next race is next Sunday.

Oh, and I forgot to comment yesterday, but we got the full track layout for the second race, and it is just amazing. Just a shame that it gets used rarely, our karts take some time to get around (Something like 1:10-1:20 per lap, compared to the sub-1:00 times for the layout we normally use) and the only reason they used it was because not a lot of people turned up for that race and they would be done quickly anyways.

I always forget just how hard racing is on the body everytime I finish go-karting.

I went go karting with my friends saturday night... we did 3 stints of 10 minutes (the guys at the place are nice, so in total we did more like 40 minutes rather than 30). When I came home and the next day I felt sore, but manageable. However later sunday night, my lower left back started aching and I was in quite some pain for a day or so. I found it surprising it took a full day to kick in.
It was worth it anyway, had a blast. Hope to go again soon.

I always forget just how hard racing is on the body everytime I finish go-karting.

That's why I do lots and lots of situps. Pulling 2-3G without belts and in a fairly upright position is really tough on your core muscles. Not to mention getting punched in the ribs every time you hop a curb. In just 2.5 years of karting I'm already getting 'karting ribs".

The only time I tried a 125cc Rotax Kart I bruised a rib. But man was it fun!

Darryl O?Young shouldn't have been penalized for the Race one incident at the WTCC today. When O'Young was halfway past Montiero just seemed to suddenly stop his car on the corner, while closing the door, and I don't think any other driver on the driven could have foreseen him doing it and avoid the accident.

O'Young thoroughly deserved both independent wins for some great driving in the older Chevrolet Lacetti. Shame.

Karting today was alright. Came 4th, short of the podium. I started 4th, then a nasty crash happened in front of me, one of the people got black flagged while the other person had to make their way back up the pack. So I was 2nd. Then, the guy who started 7th made an epic comeback and overtook me for 2nd, while the person who crashed pulled ahead of me for 3rd. While I'm not too proud of myself for letting them through, I must say, they did an amazing job getting back into contention (Especially considering the driver involved in the crash had hurt her ankle quite badly).

Last edited:
From today's NASCAR race @ Pocono Raceway:

WHOAH! :shock:

Srsly, what is with this week/end and all the bad motorsports accidents? Bianchi, Van der Drift, Sadler, Hirvonen & Al Qassimi (in WRC). I think there's been others too, but I'm not sure.....damn.

Last edited:
Me at a track day yesterday at Calabogie (probably the most beautiful track in Canada), following a friend of mine for 2 laps, then taking off.

At 9m42s I get passed by another friend of mine, and can't keep up with him.

[video=youtube;0bnr9G-uG8s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bnr9G-uG8s[/video]

Last edited: