iPhone / iOS Thread

Jailbroke my iPhone 4 today and installed MiWi on it. Surfing the web on my laptop using my iPhone 4's wireless hotspot without paying AT&T $20/mo to use the bandwidth I'm already paying for FTW. :)

I just jailbroke too. Haven't had much chance to test it yet, but the process sure beats the old PwnageTool-restore jailbreak, although I assume it won't last, since it's a software jailbreak.

Are your FacialTimes still working? :p

Someone on Engadget jokingly suggested that they should jailbreak iPhones right in the Apple stores, since it's technically legal in the US. "Mind if I use this MacBook for a second?" :D

The dev team fixed the FaceTime issue shortly after the jailbreak was released. It was a simple permissions issue apparently.

Unfortunately, all of the Cydia repo servers are being hammered worse than our servers on release day, so actually installing any jailbreak apps right now is basically impossible. Luckily I got my favorites done last night. Hooray for having SBSettings again.

Hooray for having SBSettings again.

What's SBSettings ? I've never had a jailbroken iPhone before and while I jailbroke my iPod Touch, I never did much with it since before iOS 2.0 was released or so. So much has changed.

Sorry to be a muppet, but does it restore your phone, or are you left with your original files still on it?

You visit the site on your device, wait about a minute for it to jailbreak, and you're done. You don't even have to reboot the device. :)

Broke down and bought MyWi for $20. Really spendy, but worth it (especially considering tethering is $20/mo through AT&T and fuck paying for bandwidth I'm already paying for).

USB tethering is nice -- it just shows up like any other Internet connection in Windows. I prefer wired tethering over the wifi hotspot feature as I can charge the phone while I'm at it. ;)

Broke down and bought MyWi for $20. Really spendy, but worth it (especially considering tethering is $20/mo through AT&T and fuck paying for bandwidth I'm already paying for).

USB tethering is nice -- it just shows up like any other Internet connection in Windows. I prefer wired tethering over the wifi hotspot feature as I can charge the phone while I'm at it. ;)

I've always said the same, plus if I really need a wifi network, I can create one ad-hoc through the PC.

Personally, though, I went with EasyTether for $10 and though it's Windows only for now, it's absolutely stellar. Not to mention, the free version can do everything except HTTPS.

What's SBSettings ? I've never had a jailbroken iPhone before and while I jailbroke my iPod Touch, I never did much with it since before iOS 2.0 was released or so. So much has changed.

It's a drop-down menu that has a bunch of toggles (wifi on/off, same for 3G, data, phone, Bluetooth, ssh, etc. and brightness changer and running-process list). You access it by swiping along the status bar (so it works in any app that doesn't hide the status bar), and since it uses activator, you can change how to access it.

I'm really enjoying LockInfo too, it displays your upcoming events, unread emails and texts, and notifications on the lock screen. It seems much more stable than other options like Intelliscreen, is cheaper ($5.99), simple and pretty, and doesn't require the stupid Rock Extensions to be installed.

Last edited:
Fuck me. It's that easy to jailbreak? Definitely gonna do it now...just to use facetime over 3G.

Does jailbreaking tend to void your warranty if stuff goes wrong? I'm not going to jailbreak my 3GS if it puts my extended warranty (which my parents paid a fair bit for!) in jeopardy.

If not, will that site work on a 3GS/2nd gen iTouch? If so i might fix my sister's iTouch up with it for her...

^ it should work on all them.

Aslong as you can restore the phone before depending on the warranty youshould be fine.

Awesome, thankyou :)

And my worry is that my phone will fail in some way that I won't be able to restore it and then Apple will be able to find out. Although they tend to have a policy of replace, not repair (and a lax one at that- they replaced my cousin's iTouch under warranty after he dropped it in the toilet! :lol:)

I got offered a cheap iPhone (?169) after buying my original touch, used it for a few months, took it back and I said some baloney about the Safari constantly failing to load a (very, very heavy) site they gave me every penny of my money back!

Nice, should try that soon and see if i get an iPhone 4 out of it (JOKE!). Problems..... well, Safari occasionally crashes! :lol:

Sorry I meant to use that anecdote to show how easy going they are, surprised I didn't get
Cool-Dog-Hey-Cool-story-bro41.jpg

Quick question. By Jailbreaking the iPhone 4 you can enable facetime calls over 3G...but that is still restricted to iPhone 4 to iPhone 4. Is there any option to video call someone that has Skype on their PC?

Interesting. Didn't realize that. So for videocalling my options are still only facetime and fring, neither of which call skype users.