StarCraft II....hell, it's about time

Just brings me back to the whole "why do I have to install my games and console guys don't" question. Anyway, it's installed but I haven't been able to touch it yet.

Some PS3 games require hard disk installs :lol:

Hard drives are a hell of a lot faster than the disc anyway. Even if I didn't have to install, if given the option I would.

actually i tend to install a Xbox 360 game onto the hard drive as well since it makes the game run faster and its also meant to increase the lifespan of the disc reader as well since its not being used all the time. also makes the Xbox 360 run a lot quieter as well.

Well, I just uninstalled it. Lost interest in it like any other RPG. Good thing I didn't buy it. :D

actually i tend to install a Xbox 360 game onto the hard drive as well since it makes the game run faster and its also meant to increase the lifespan of the disc reader as well since its not being used all the time. also makes the Xbox 360 run a lot quieter as well.

Excuse me, I'm off to the 'things that annoy me thread' :whistle:

I tried multiplayer for the first time. I played one round.....

My colon can't repel that sort of trauma.

Haha, that is why I've only been playing co-op. :)

After a couple weeks with it, I'm surprised at how stressful playing SC2 is. Trying to keep my actions per minute as high as possible, while managing all those different issues at once...I'm honestly starting to question why I keep doing it. For contrast, playing Mass Effect II relaxes me.

I don't know whether SC2 is a more stressful game than other RTSs I've enjoyed (like C&C Generals), or whether I just no longer have the multitasking ability and mental intensity to keep my APM up for a couple hours at a time...but I'm honestly thinking of giving the game up.

God I am terrible at this game. Too fast paced and I get face rolled.

I've been getting addicted to this guy's commentaries on Starcraft replays: www.youtube.com/HDstarcraft
He has tutorials and stuff to learn like a proh... Still my version is ... ahem... not so official so I dont play multiplayer :p
The single player campaign is quite entertaining though, and you get access to a ton of units that arent even available in multi...
I've always preferred strategy games with swords and bows instead of aliens and marines so I've never been a fan of the first one, but so far it's been surprisingly good and addicting.

After a couple weeks with it, I'm surprised at how stressful playing SC2 is. Trying to keep my actions per minute as high as possible, while managing all those different issues at once...I'm honestly starting to question why I keep doing it. For contrast, playing Mass Effect II relaxes me.

I don't know whether SC2 is a more stressful game than other RTSs I've enjoyed (like C&C Generals), or whether I just no longer have the multitasking ability and mental intensity to keep my APM up for a couple hours at a time...but I'm honestly thinking of giving the game up.

it is rather stressful, yeah.
but hey, who cares about your APM? i am constantly below 60 or so, except when it comes to fights, and why would i care if i win? :p
still, i totally see your point and i'm not sure whether i should really play it a lot, because it'd just stress me out (i'm not playing a lot now, since i have to study... lots... -.-).
maybe i'll do the same as with wc3 and just play a few normal games for the lulz and then go over to funny custom maps :)

There's two cool youtube channels with ingame footage from the beta. HDstarcraft and Husky.

[YOUTUBE]jSYAIkrwTJY[/YOUTUBE]

There's some other people who do livestreams but not with commentary.

I've been getting addicted to this guy's commentaries on Starcraft replays: www.youtube.com/HDstarcraft
He has tutorials and stuff to learn like a proh... Still my version is ... ahem... not so official so I dont play multiplayer :p
The single player campaign is quite entertaining though, and you get access to a ton of units that arent even available in multi...
I've always preferred strategy games with swords and bows instead of aliens and marines so I've never been a fan of the first one, but so far it's been surprisingly good and addicting.

waaaay ahead of you ;)

Yeah like anyone's gonna read 11 pages just to see if a repost is a repost :p
Sorry for repost :D

If you're into SC2 commentaries there's only one worth your time - Day9 (http://day9tv.blip.tv)

There is a way to get reasonably good in a limited period of time:
1. Learn basic strategies, specifically economic openings and first 6-7 minutes or every strat/matchup.
2. Do spam key binds and hotkeys (suitable for your race) just for the sake of 'fake' apm increase until you can sustain ~250-300 apm throughout the game, it doesn't matter if you lose or if in any particular situation this spamming is not called for or is useless even, after a while you will be able to swap it out for useful spamming. You don't even need that high APM to be good @ SC2, ~150 avr is plenty.

Last edited:

Definitely don't think about APM, its just something to keep in mind. I never exceed 60 myself except in fierce battles where my intervention is really needed. Sometimes I sit at a hopeless 20, mostly amassing my forces. I find SC2 less stressful than WC3...I stress the moment my hero dies and usually its game over for me...which is why I went back to SC1 since the loss of your army usually doesn't screw you over.

Stuck on that last mission (or at least I think it's the last... the one where you can supernova the artifact every 3 minutes or so)
Its bloody hard, I set up my siege tanks and hold fine until the Queen of Blades does a run-by through my base and basically obliterates everything I had on the side she chose to show up at...
Tried 4 times, no joy, I'll take a breather and try tomorrow

I just completed campaign last night and uninstalled it for good. 12 years ago I was a big fan of the game and lost many many hours of my life killing zerglings, but this is just ridiculous. First of all, the game has no idea what it is supposed to be. Apparently RTS and RPG don't mix. No separate Zerg campaign and very short Protoss one -- lots of negrep for that.

I am genuinely disappointed. After more than 10 years of waiting I expected something much better. Blizzard apparently had their brains turn to stew with that stupid WoW fiasco and completely forgot how to make great games. Back to Mass Effect re-runs while waiting for The Witcher II.

Stuck on that last mission (or at least I think it's the last... the one where you can supernova the artifact every 3 minutes or so)
Its bloody hard, I set up my siege tanks and hold fine until the Queen of Blades does a run-by through my base and basically obliterates everything I had on the side she chose to show up at...
Tried 4 times, no joy, I'll take a breather and try tomorrow

If you upgraded your bunkers with the research facility and also unlocked the disruptor thingy, that slows down the zergligs, block the entrances with bunkers full of marines (with upgraded weapons of course), add two disruptors behind the bunkers on each of the base entrances and then the siege tanks behind them. Then have one battlecruiser on each side and use the Yamato gun when she arrives. In the worst case scenario you lose a bunker, but it is not a big deal.

P.S. Yes, I had no social life in 1998 and had doctors degree in terran defense and attack tactics.

Last edited:
No separate Zerg campaign and very short Protoss one -- lots of negrep for that.

they're releasing two expansion packs that will be the other campaigns. the first will be the Zerg "Heart of the Swarm" one and then the second will be the Protoss "Leagacy of the Void" campaign.
as to when they're being released, thats something else completely.

they're releasing two expansion packs that will be the other campaigns. the first will be the Zerg "Heart of the Swarm" one and then the second will be the Protoss "Leagacy of the Void" campaign.
as to when they're being released, thats something else completely.

I'm guessing 2022 :D