James May's Man Lab

:lol:

:nod: One use down, 100 to go!

Another chance for us lot to appear in an upcoming series presented by James, but unfortunately only dudes are invited

Here's an opportunity for one lucky not-a-dude:

If you're a woman who has ever worked in a job where you have had to make beds incluing hospital corners and are able to instruct someone how to do so then we'd love to hear from you.

Filming will be on Thursday 19th August in London during the day.

http://www.beonscreen.com/uk/tv-sho...-new-prime-time-james-may-bbc-series-2688.asp

Also, the book tie-in (I think) is now on pre-order:

I reckon there are about nine things a chap doesn?t realise he should be able to do. Not stuff you can download from the internet, but really important things. So, in this book, each is dealt with fully, and it?s a good read rather than just boring facts.

It?s a series of meaty chapters with some light gaggery, but also solid information and plenty of nice pictures and diagrams.

For example, in 'How to Land an A330 Airbus' there is good background stuff about the likelihood of it ever falling to you (extremely unlikely), some stats on past dramas, plus good and accurate information on the controls, what they do and what they look like.

There?s a range of subjects from the genuinely relevant ? how to deliver twins, for example ? to the absurd, such as how to play Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata', so there?s ample opportunity for me to rant while enthralling the reader with proper lavatory-friendly technical explanations.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Book-La...=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280407608&sr=1-7

I think that explains their search for "Grade One male musicians" earlier in the month.

:nod: One use down, 100 to go!

Something tells me we should have a side bet on how many of these we can get by with before one of us gets a nasty note about hijacking threads for nefarious purposes...but here goes. If you count the two from the video (cooker cleaner and bike oil sucker) plus mine, this would be #98.

#98 JM's 101 OUfTs - Stuff it in a marshmallow shooter, soak it in jet fuel, light it and use it to blow up a VW Beatle.

Last edited:
light it and use it to blow up a VW Beatle

Problem is, they don't light. Reference for that fact: Bolivia film - the director's cut. Jezza tries to light Tampax from, bonfire, and fails.

I know hospital corners - I used to work as a hospital cleaner. Unfortunately, I'm outside the M25, and nobody would want to see my gurning mug on TV anyway

One of the episodes apparently involves a bloke spending the day in steel-toed boots, as I read online somewhere sometime back. Episode to air around the Christmas season. Wonder what this Man Lesson entails...thoughts?

Problem is, they don't light. Reference for that fact: Bolivia film - the director's cut. Jezza tries to light Tampax from, bonfire, and fails.

I know hospital corners - I used to work as a hospital cleaner. Unfortunately, I'm outside the M25, and nobody would want to see my gurning mug on TV anyway

Thanks for the editorial help! Effective corrections made to original post.

#97 JM's 101 OUfTs - For use by housekkeping quality control; insert one tampon in hospital corner to verify removal of soiled sheets (and see how I very cleverly brought this little exercise in futility back to the original concept of the thread).

One of the episodes apparently involves a bloke spending the day in steel-toed boots, as I read online somewhere sometime back. Episode to air around the Christmas season. Wonder what this Man Lesson entails...thoughts?

I wear steel-toed boots all day. I could offer some insight on those!

:hmm:

The subjects I know of so far are how to deliver twins, how to play Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata' and how to land an A330 Airbus. I don't think either of those requires the necessity to wear steel-toed boots. ;)

Don't forget diffusing a bomb, if memory serves! ;)

Maybe he's going to have the man build something...hmmm. (Any musings, Tina?)

Wasn't there also rumblings about some dude's sitting room being turned into a pub, or sommit? Or am I making this all up in a moment of delusion?

Well, there's "how to woo a lady", but I'm thinking that probably includes the Moonlight Sonata. James has said that's why he learned it. Which gets us no further forward in answering the question about the steel toed boots.

EllieZee, you're no more deluded than the rest of us. I'm guessing the sitting-room-to-pub thing might have been a programme idea that wasn't picked up. It's a bit of a mystery.

If you are in the London area: James will be doing a book signing in a few weeks time.

WATERSTONE'S LEADENHALL MARKET
Friday, 3 September 2010, 12:30PM - 1:30PM

Link!

I saw this, and instantly thought of this thread:
148112d1281564399-funny-strange-random-pics-31465_540.jpg

In other news:
James May's Man Lab focuses on restoring old fashioned values, one of which will be polishing a pair of shoes the proper way and we need a Sergeant Major to demonstrate the exact way to do so.

http://www.beonscreen.com/uk/tv-sho...-new-prime-time-james-may-bbc-series-2688.asp