Stupid Driver Stories

Ok, I found myself in a strange situation, and I don't know exactly what to think:

I was on a two-lanes road (one in every direction), full straight, 90kph limit, not very wide. I was behind a Range Rover, but he was doing 70kph, so I decided to overtake him (in an unusually legal way). I took some time to wait for oncoming traffic to take a break, then proceeded to overtake him (again, legally, that's the scary part). I overtook him easily and then I noticed that there was no room to get back in the lane I was coming from, because instead of the room that usually should have been in front of the Range Rover there was... another car (no, not even a car length). Problem is, My timing with oncoming traffic was correct to overtake the Range Rover (in fact I was already completely in front of him when oncoming traffic became an issue), but I was scarce on time to overtake the second car too (I was partly by its side now), so I had to choose between risking a head-on or forcing my way back getting roughly by the side of the car in front, letting it pass and get in. I forced my way back in the tiny space between the car and the Range Rover. Obviously the Range Rover went mad and honked and flashed its lights, then waited thirty seconds and lighted up its full xenon high-beams (guess what, I unexpectedly found an incredibly valuable use for the darkened back window my car came with when I bought it second hand - I was not liking them).

Now, my opinion in all of this is that the Range Rover's driver was tailgating the car in front (well, he was definitely not keeping a safe distance anyway), and that caused the lack of room for me to get safely back without upsetting anyone, but I'd like to have your opinion, since I might miss some detail. Keep in mind that the road is a 2,5 km straight with 90 kph limit (Range Rover (and car in front of it) was doing 70), Range Rover was big enough to cover the cars in front, and my timing with oncoming traffic was correct for the Range Rover overtaking (I was fully in front of him before getting back to my lane again.

Who was the idiot driver here?

Last edited:
Both of you. When you overtake, you should do it as quickly as possible, just because of situations like that or in case there's somebody behind you wanting to overtake (you also) as well. If you had sped up past 90, you would have had enough time to overtake the car in front as well. I have a similar pet peeve with... no wait, that's not true, I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic fucking hatreds... with people on the highway overtaking at about 0.5 km/h faster than the vehicle they are overtaking, so it takes about a full minute for them to get past. Especially trucks! If yours can't go faster than that, just stay behind until you get to a 3 lane section! :mad:

Both of you. When you overtake, you should do it as quickly as possible

My car has not unlimited acceleration, I don't know what speed I was going during the overtaking, but surely I was not on a pleasure cruise and I pressed the gas pedal accordingly. Then again, If there hadn't been the car in front, I'd have overtaken the Range Rover smoothly. I found an unexpected car when normally no car should be.

This is an interesting point, though, because If I was drving my old car (who weighted less (no 4x4), had rouglhy the same power and was not an euro-4) I probably would have passed the second car too.

Last edited:
Even if the Range Rover was tailgating, it has to be your own fault for not noticing the second car. It should have been visible from the moment you pulled out to overtake at the very least. That said, overtaking on a two-lane road is not very common over here so I'm no expert.

Speaking of Range Rovers, there's a new one in town. It looks REALLY cramped inside. Where did all the space go?

The Rover is the idiot in this particular case. He was tailgating a car for no reason at all. There was room for him to overtake if the car in front was too slow, and at the speed involved he should have been at least 1 car length behind.

Not really a story ... but here?s an Volvo XC70 ... that?s the V70 with the jacked up suspension ... not that you would still get that "jacked-up" vibe when you see how much weight this one has to carry ... while overtaking me doing roughly 160 km/h ...

http://img508.imageshack.**/img508/2951/xc70.jpg

Aaaand, that's why Americans own pickups.

You were the one overtaking, so it was your responsibility to make sure it could be done safely, you should never rely on other motorists being helpful.

My standard method is:
- Drive in to the nearside then out to the center line to get a better view of what's in front of the thing you're overtaking.
- Drop back a few car lengths and wait for opportunity.
- At point when overtaking opportunity is imminent drop a gear, floor it and start to use up the gap between yourself and the car in front.
- Timed correctly you get a decision point where you can either a) abort and slow down in the space remaining until the car in front or b) pull out with a significant speed advantage which you can continue to build on as you overtake.

Done correctly you spend as little time as possible on the wrong side of the road while making the most of whatever power you have.

This is also the standard method for sniping, i.e. overtaking some dick in a fast car who's too scared to overtake but is determined not to be overtaken himself.

My standard method is:
- Drive in to the nearside then out to the center line to get a better view of what's in front of the thing you're overtaking.
- Drop back a few car lengths and wait for opportunity.
- At point when overtaking opportunity is imminent drop a gear, floor it and start to use up the gap between yourself and the car in front.
- Timed correctly you get a decision point where you can either a) abort and slow down in the space remaining until the car in front or b) pull out with a significant speed advantage which you can continue to build on as you overtake.

As an owner of a very underpowered car I very much agree with this. This is the only way I can overtake and I usually have to do the drop back part for switching lanes on the highway too.

You can't go on holiday with a pickup.

I take mine on driving holidays every year, carrying at least 3 people with luggage , on an average of 1.500 kilometers per trip, often in areas with the narrowest, twistyest roads in Europe ......your dumbass uninformed Eurofag point would be?

Right, and say it starts raining and all your stuff is stowed away in the back. Or say, some criminarians come across it in the parking lot or campsite and clean it out. What are you gonna do then?

And why spend time fastening everything down when you're going on the road, when you can just close the door and be sure nothing will fall out?

Sure, you can load it faster (throw everything in the back, fun), but it's a lot less convenient.

And thanks for not debasing this conversation by calling people names. Oh, wait...

Right, and say it starts raining and all your stuff is stowed away in the back. Or say, some criminarians come across it in the parking lot or campsite and clean it out. What are you gonna do then?

And why spend time fastening everything down when you're going on the road, when you can just close the door and be sure nothing will fall out?

Sure, you can load it faster (throw everything in the back, fun), but it's a lot less convenient.

And thanks for not debasing this conversation by calling people names. Oh, wait...
pickup-truck-cap-sporttrac100xq.jpg

Which is why they make these.

:lol:
um no, look again, it's a pickup with a cover on the bed

Locking watertight bedcovers/hardtops...... try atleast to know something about the vehicles and their posibilities your talking uninformed crap about next time, and no, this does not make them 'estates' or 'sedans' ,after your holiday you lob it off in 2 minutes and you have an open bed again.....try doing that with your cockmobile.

gaylords_tl_series_tonneau_cover.jpg

0701or_05_z+2006_dodge_ram_cummins_diesel+camper_shell.jpg

Last edited:
I'm fully aware of all these accessories and you still haven't convinced me. The original argument was about a standard open pickup vs an estate. If you close it down, it'll still be just as packed as that estate was.

... Sometimes you have things that don't fit inside a car?
Really I don't even like pickups and this isn't hard for me to imagine the uses. :confused: