Help pick a car to replace my Grandmother's Corvette.

From the reviews I have read the new SHO is a bit boat like. I'd try one of the new Jags.

Does she want new? If not, a late-model Cadillac XLR might just be the ticket; I talked to a guy who had one and he says it's not as low-slung as a Corvette even though it's based on the same chassis. Either of the V8 Dodge Challengers would also work if she wouldn't mind the numb steering, though that seems to be a high priority. Jag XKR may be a bit too "old-person" for someone young at heart.

My thoughts exactly. An XLR is basically a slightly softer Corvette, and though they didn't sell well I think they got positive reviews.

Kudos to awesome grandma.

Your grandmother is awesome.

-The 135i/335i cars were designed to drive like N/A cars and from what I've read, they've succeeded. Not very "cool" though. However, the 335is/M3 sedan would be a different story, so check those out.

-The new S4 is incredible, but probably also still boring.

-AM DB7 It's an XJS, basically.

-Jaaaaag XKR Coupe

-996 Turbo Tiptronic

-CTS-V

Last edited:
One more for CTS-V although the XLR also makes good sense.

EDIT: obviously it goes without saying your grandmother is a badass

Swap your Golf GTI for the 'Vette? Should be prefect :)

Another vote for the CTS-V and I don't really agree with the comparison with the Vette. It's a 4 door sedan just like all the other cars that are on the table, none of which are as flashy as the Vette. If that is the only thing detracting from the car then I'd say it's your best choice.

M5 also sprang to mind when I read through the criteria.

I'd go with one of those two.

Isn't the XLR just a 2 seater? Sounds like she is really after a sedan with cargo space.

First a clarification. The car by no means has to be a sedan. I just picked them because they are easy to get in. The fact that it could replace both of her cars is a plus, but it is by no means required. Sports cars that are easy to get in and out of are just fine. Also I am afraid used cars are out. I can try and convince her but it just isn't going to happen.

edit:
Working on individual replies.

Last edited:
Ah nevermind I had reading comprehension fail. If she gets rid of both cars it sounds like then she would need a sedan with cargo space. Whoops.

Give her that:
1996.cadillac.fleetwood.1588-396x249.jpg

and tell her "GO TO Hflorida!"

So if she's buying new, what's her budget? Is she going to trade in her 'Vette for the new car?

If her husband worked for GM for most of his life, the best bet for her would be a new Camaro (half the price of a new CTS-V), I think.

Last edited:
Your grandmother is AWESOME.

I have no ideas that haven't already been said, so, um...wanna adopt a coco? :D

Re: The 335i. The turbo lag is indeed minimal. It's unnoticeable actually for most people except the most discerning and those that are used to razor sharp throttles. I don't think that should be a concern. Also, even the 2 door is surprisingly roomy. 4 adults in the car for 200 mile trips have been no problem at all, even with 6 ft guys in the back.

That said, I'd go with the M3 if I could afford it. The sound of that V8 is intoxicating. In fact, for me, engine sound is one of the biggest flaws in the 335i. The twin turbos just muffle too much of it. The car is surprisingly quiet even with straight pipes (no muffler).

Let me know if the 335i intrigues your grandma and I'll be happy to answer any further questions.

How about one of the last Pontiac G8 GXPs? Can be had in an auto, handles decently and is a very straight forward car to use. Same engine as the 'vette too.

She's 80? She looks pretty good for her age! And I wish I could be as awesome as that at her age...

How about one of the last Pontiac G8 GXPs? Can be had in an auto, handles decently and is a very straight forward car to use. Same engine as the 'vette too.

She's 80? She looks pretty good for her age! And I wish I could be as awesome as that at her age...

Ill tell you the key to looking that good. She has eaten well and worked out since she was 30 when her mom had a stroke.
Well I talked to her and we are going to go test drive a whole heap of cars this weekend in Dallas. On her not so narrow list of cars she wants to see in person:
CTS-V
M3
Z4-35is
XKR
XFR
IS-F
S550 (dont ask me where that one came from, god I hope she hates it)

Keep the suggestions coming I will add to that list anything new/interesting.

As for those that didnt make the list. She vetoed a few for being to flashy (quatroporte), a few for being used, and a few because she didnt like them.