Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I really wish I had a PAS camera today. Saw a bumper sticker today and couldn't catch it on my iPhone.

The sticker was on a brand new 3rd gen Toyota Prius, and it said "This car is so green, you can breath the air coming from the exhaust pipe." I really wanted to pull up alongside the car and ask the smug bastard for a demonstration.

Last edited:
I got really angry at the security guards at work today. Apparently they had nothing better to do, so they went out to issue parking quotations. They gave me one for "double parking"...

Double parking my ass! There are no parking lines painted, and this morning I parked very neatly between two other cars. What happened later is - those two cars got out, and two new ass-hats parked on their places. Except, they both left 2 feet of distance from my car. So when I left worked it looked like I was the one who double parked.

I have no way to prove that I have the right in this case.

At 180 mph, maybe he just lost track of time and before he knew it was in the middle of Switzerland :lol:

I did that once and discovered I'd somehow managed to ride into Arizona from New Mexico without realizing it. Yay for turboed ZX-11Ds. :p

I did that once and discovered I'd somehow managed to ride into Arizona from New Mexico without realizing it. Yay for turboed ZX-11Ds. :p

Please tell us more.

I got really angry at the security guards at work today. Apparently they had nothing better to do, so they went out to issue parking quotations. They gave me one for "double parking"...

Double parking my ass! There are no parking lines painted, and this morning I parked very neatly between two other cars. What happened later is - those two cars got out, and two new ass-hats parked on their places. Except, they both left 2 feet of distance from my car. So when I left worked it looked like I was the one who double parked.

I have no way to prove that I have the right in this case.

Perhaps not, but you can prove that there are no lines, and therefore no established "spots" to double-park in.

Build one. I don't remember the site, but there was one that had a set of plans on it.

There are lots of plans, but I am not a welder or wood worker; I don't have the tools or the garage space to build one. I would probably spend more on tools and renting space than I would just buying one.

Whatever I get, I plan to modify it to have larger tires so it can follow my X on some light offroad trails and if it's not already equipped, I would install a deep-cycle battery and LED lighting.

Compared to standard dome-lights they take up less space, produce more light and use less power. A single charge on a deep-cycle battery could run regular lights for a few evenings or LED lights for over a week.

I would put in some interior lights, one or two to illuminate the galley area and some amber exterior lights to illuminate the campsite without attracting bugs. A white or amber forward-facing light would be nice for hooking up in the dark.

Last edited:
Large Mondeo is large. Seriously, it's like driving a room. Stuff gets worse with parking- try to park the Eiffel Tower and you're getting there.

No, it's not a large car.

This is a large, (for now) still-in-production car. For scale, realize that those are 16" wheels on it, and 17" on the Pathfinder/Terrano behind it.

IMG_6827.JPG

IMG_6826.JPG

Mondeos would be on the small side of the mid-size class over here.

killpanda wins this battle. :p

It's got wheels, doors, seats, a steering wheel, a V8 and an automatic transmission, just like your Crown Victoria :p

Should I go dig up pictures of my old Lincoln? *cough* 20 feet long *cough* 5000lbs *cough* 7.5L V8 *cough* No, ok.

It's got wheels, doors, seats, a steering wheel, a V8 and an automatic transmission, just like your Crown Victoria :p

You have to make up for all those years of Euro small car oppression. :p

I learned to drive in my mothers' Ford Super Duty Crew Cab truck. Also huge.