Horrible issues with new Cobalts

KIA forte sedan, my friend just got a brand new one out the door for under 10 grand, with a badass warentee, and it looks great inside and out

The world ended when MattD1zzl3 offered up his first sensible suggestion. I think this one froze over Hell.

FIIIIIIIIIIIIESTA!!!

Ford-Fiesta_2011_photo_02.jpg

The 2010/2011 US Focus is shit because it's the GALACTICALLY ANCIENT mk1 Focus (1998) with a dozen sheetmetal facelifts and a dramatically cheaper interior. The 2012 (Due early 2011...) brings it up to baseline with the rest of world models.

On the other hand, my grandfather (an ancient old hoon mechanic the size of a city bus) drives a Yaris. It's the only car he's owned in the past 15 years that hasn't smashed into anything in short order. I have no idea if that's a good or a bad thing.

Last edited:
Update, if you are interested. He doesn't want GM, possibly due to Aveo horror stories - the Aveo is a horror - possibly due to the whole goin' bankrupt thing - after sale support obviously a priority - so no more worries on that front.

Only problem with the Fiesta is that they STILL aren't on the lots here - Regina Ford man claims a waiting list of several months - and he wants something soon.

I'm also speechless that Matt had a suggestion that made perfect sense. The only problem is the local Kia dealer is also the local sub-prime used lot and they're kinda shady and everyone knows it - actual conversation: Guy: "Maybe a Kia? Do they have a dealer in town here?" Me: "McKenzies" Guy: "Not a Kia then" - but it could still work.

Though, as I said, suggestions really weren't the focus, just knowing what needs to be avoided at all costs. Now he says Accent and Versa are the list toppers.

Last edited:
Update, if you are interested. He doesn't want GM, possibly due to Aveo horror stories - the Aveo is a horror - possibly due to the whole goin' bankrupt thing - after sale support obviously a priority - so no more worries on that front.

Only problem with the Fiesta is that they STILL aren't on the lots here - Regina Ford man claims a waiting list of several months - and he wants something soon.

I'm also speechless that Matt had a suggestion that made perfect sense. The only problem is the local Kia dealer is also the local sub-prime used lot and they're kinda shady and everyone knows it - actual conversation: Guy: "Maybe a Kia? Do they have a dealer in town here?" Me: "McKenzies" Guy: "Not a Kia then" - but it could still work.

Though, as I said, suggestions really weren't the focus, just knowing what needs to be avoided at all costs. Now he says Accent and Versa are the list toppers.

Why doesn't he look into CPO? sometimes the warranties are better than the ones on the new cars, but then again, it won't beat hyundai's new warranty probably.

My buddy's had a Versa for about 4 years now. Not a single problem with it whatsoever. Manual transmission still feel's good, electronics all working, and he say's he'll never get tired of how much interior space it has. Serious, it's huge inside, like 4 big guys on a camping trip still have space big.

Accent 3 door SE might be a tad more engaging to drive than the Versa, but the Versa has a better interior than any Accent hands down. Get the SL trim, and you even get soft-touch plastic on the upper part of the doors as well as the dash. (I'm a bit interior obsessed, I know...:p) The Versa's larger inside too, with mid-size car space, and safer overall, having done very well in IIHS crash tests.

I'd personally lean toward Versa, esp. if I was considering higher trim models of it and Accent, and I absolutely needed a brand new car. Otherwise I'd do what other's suggest and look at slightly used models.

I've got a decent amount of experience in the cheap appliance cars area. I worked at a auction inspecting lease returns, repos and former rentals. And I currently work at a car rental company that deals with lots of the cars that have been mentioned. That and I've driven a 2007 Accent Hatch for the last three years/70,000kms.

Cobalt= Crap. From the squareish e-brake handle to the horrible interior to the industrial sounding engine; these cars suck. They wear very poorly and drive like crap, the only upside is that they're pretty speedy for the segment.

Versa, not bad, lots of interior and luggage room, nice driving position, screwed together well. I just find them boring, and maybe its the way I sit but I dont have hip room, the door pushes on my leg.

Focus, feels nice and solid, lots of toys to play with and drives nicely normally but starts to wallow around when trying to have fun. That and its still ugly and the interior is a bitch to clean.

Forte, don't know.

Fiesta and Mazda 2, had a quick test drive of both and they felt really good.

Accent, say no to the sedan, its a sleeping pill on wheels. The hatch is versatile and can be fun to drive (SE), but feels much smaller inside than any of the other choices. Decent luggage room though, I moved 30 boxes into a storage locker with mine this morning.

How about a Suzuki SX4? It may be a Fiat underneath but all of ours at work have proved very reliable and have aged better than most. We even had a customer walk away without a scratch after a offset head-on with a 12 passenger Ford van doing 85kph. AWD, lots of interior room front and rear, but not much cargo space with the back seats up though.

Last edited:
How about a Suzuki SX4? It may be a Fiat underneath but all of ours at work have proved very reliable and have aged better than most. We even had a customer walk away without a scratch after a offset head-on with a 12 passenger Ford van doing 85kph. AWD, lots of interior room front and rear, but not much cargo space with the back seats up though.
It's not a Fiat underneath, the Fiat version is a rebadge of the Suzuki. That's why they work. :p

Update, if you are interested. He doesn't want GM, possibly due to Aveo horror stories -.

Ahh, I was going to add that

When I drove down to the Final Gear race, I had rented a Cobalt. Other than hard-as-a-rock seats, I didn't think it was that bad. But...I did only have it for 3 days.

And for the Fiesta not being on the lots...here in Columbus I was able to find a few available for about $14,000. :)

The 2010/2011 US Focus is shit because it's the GALACTICALLY ANCIENT mk1 Focus (1998) with a dozen sheetmetal facelifts and a dramatically cheaper interior. The 2012 (Due early 2011...) brings it up to baseline with the rest of world models.
Also the steering wheel is hard as a rock.

Amusingly, my Mk1's steering wheel is flaking apart.

It's quite... Nasty and squicky. I keep trying to buy a steering wheel cover, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

i think that's a US ford thing. my dad's F-150 did that, and it's from about the same vintage.

anyway, i think that a Mazda2, or maybe a used Mazda3 might be right.

Its got electric steering and throttle.

...eeew!

If he wants a new chevy that bad, see if they are firesaling the new Malibu, that car rocks in every way its possible to rock.

How exactly does this thing rock? It does not handle well, it's got no power, it's blah to look at, and doesn't even get all that good of fuel economy.

At least a Hyundai Accent has a short wheelbase, I've seen 1 with some good tires thrown on it and hurled around a track and looked damn fun too.

Friend of mine worked for Suzuki up until about a year ago. The SX4 is a kick ass little car. Plenty of stories of that car taking 5500rpm AWD clutch dumps over and over and over again without a problem. Biggest problem with Suzuki is they don't seem to care/understand the US market and have a tiny dealer network. Even in markets where they were/are popular and the dealers were forced to shutdown (legal issues), they made no efforts to re-open another one. They'd rather make their customers driver over an hour away to get service.

Last edited:
How exactly does this thing rock? It does not handle well, it's got no power, it's blah to look at, and doesn't even get all that good of fuel economy.

...crappy visibility thanks to swooping window lines that cut off the amount of glass it gets, not much headroom (this coming from a guy who's 5'7") or shoulder room, 27-odd MPG with highway-only driving when a Camry or Accord is pushing 30+ (all of them 4-cyl models), no external trunk handle, and a chrome strip on top of the dashboard that blinds you in 75% of daylight. I know this because I rented one for a cumulative 600+ mile road trip in March. Would not rent again.

I just priced the Colbalt turbo, $26,000? Really? Whats a used BMW? Given the choice I would go for a BMW.

Except the Cobalt Turbo SS will leave almost every BMW that you can get used for that price COMPLETELY for dead on a track.
the SS models are the one saving grace of the Cobalt, they're absolute devils.

Except the Cobalt Turbo SS will leave almost every BMW that you can get used for that price COMPLETELY for dead on a track.
the SS models are the one saving grace of the Cobalt, they're absolute devils.

Not to mention, you can't really compare used with new... by the same logic you can get a used Ferrari that will kick the crap out of an expensive BMW.