iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

Good win matt... hmmm average lap times 1.53, that gives me some hope since I dont know Laguna Seca at all and I did some 1.58s.. with some track practice I could get into races soon and crash out like a maniac :D

Is there any way we create a Final Gear club? Or are the clubs created by iRacing alone?

Last edited:
Where? Here in the forum or in iRacing as a team?
Also, consistent 1.06s in lime park and the occasional 1.05.5 ... day 4, progressing. Still dont dare to ridicule myself in a race

I dare you to race! Now do it! Honestly, you'll enjoy it. Your first race. You'll be put into splits with similar skill level as you (probably all rookies). Make sure, you push f5 so you can see where people are relevant to you on track. And just drive safe. You'll find people will be falling off the track all around you and you just cruise on through. The next race starts in 13 mins! Now go!

F5 in game?
I'm gonna try a practice session or something, cos my router is beyond rubbish and gives me bad pings in most games. We'll see how it goes

Also where do I find the races for Lime Rock? All I see is the Solstice Challenge and that's Laguna Seca which I dont know.
From what I've found only spec ford are racing lime rock
I guess I'll go practice Laguna Seca :p

Last edited:
Each week it changes for the series. It'll go back to lime rock on Tuesday.

All the F buttons have some kind of information in the bottom right hand corner. When your learning to race with others, the relevant times (F5) is most useful. Gives you plenty of warning of where drivers are on track and to basically avoid unneeded mistakes. (like rejoining the track and taking out the leader because you didn't know he was coming.) Going to a practice server isn't a bad idea. Helps you get used to running with traffic, and will also see what your ping is like in an actual server.

Well I think I know Laguna Seca now... I ran out of fuel while testing :rolleyes:
Best time 1.53.136 but I still had many offs. Didnt shunt the car though. I'll see about a practice server and perhaps qualifying after. Right now I need a break... 2 hours of testing

1.51.4 i think is my best, Dont be afraid to use the kerbs and identify where you can and cant risk over-pushing the car, you should arrive into turn one out-of-control in braking, and only regain control slightly too late to turn left.

Follow the winding road to the hard right and run your tire slightly over the red kerb, you should be flat on the throttle before you hit it. The next right before the straight you shouldnt need to be on the brakes at all, dont hit the red kerb this time and give it some gas. After the straight (Remember my "Out of control" braking technique after straights), turn as LATE as possible into turn 5, use the whole white painted area (you should be mere centimeters from the dirt) and give it all the gas you can in third up the hill.

The last half of the track you're really just trying to stay on track, its almost impossible to pull anything fancy after the pre-corkscew straight. the first half for me is the only part that requires much work.

I don't really agree with "just trying to stay on track" in the last part. There are certainly places that make you time around there.

I haven't driven Laguna for a while, but heres my take on it.

T1 is just a kink.
Arriving at T2, Brake HARD at just before the 3 board. As you brake start turning left towards the apex, this will kick the arse out and point the car more towards the middles, get on the power as early as you can. And use all the road you can. If you have to lift off then you've applied power to early. You want to find the spot that allows you to not take your foot off.
T3, a tricky right hander. Brake at the 2 board quite hard, the key is to not turn in to soon. Turn in just after the 1 board (pretty standard on Laguna) Get on the power before you go past the red kerb. Your wheel shouldn't actually touch it, just kinda brush it.
T4 doesn't require you to brake, just a lift at the 2 board and turn in at the 1 board. On the approach it helps to position the car as wide as possible and just throw it in and get on the power early.
T5 Brake earlier than you think (around the 3 board) and turn it at the 1. You want to get the car in early and hug the kerb. Get the power down as soon as possible.
T6 is one of the trickiest and most important. Brake at the 2 board quite hard and turn in at the 1 board. Do not hit the red. You should be full throttle before the apex. As you go up the hill wait as long as you can before you shift to 4th.
T7 is a little kink to the right. But you start your braking at that point.
For T8 (the corkscrew) Brake hard just before the 3 board. Things get iffy around here. Turn in quite late and apply the throttle as your heading down hill. Turn to the right and keep the car to the right.
T9 is pretty tricky. Turn in is quite late, requires a lift and maybe a tap of the brakes. As soon as you see the apex your aimming for it. Get the car pointed there and floor it. The car should just kiss the apex and track out nicely.
T10. Approach from the left, Brake at the 2 board, and turn in at the 1. The car will scrub of speed allowing you to take it a lot faster then you might think. The camber is also useful for you. Get on the power at apex and the car should just run up to the outside kerb. It may take a while to get used to it, but it does do it.
T11. Hard corner, as you can win it or lose it here. Brake at the white line, between the 3 and 2 board as hard as you can. Get the car slowed enough so that it will grip and not just understeer. Your aim is to get the car pointed straight enough that you can just mash the throttle at the apex. And thats Laguna in a nutshell.

i just won 3 races in the solstice in a row and then had an amazing battle with someone on the last lap of my 4th race and finished in P2 :(. I have not raced the solstice in quite awhile as i have been driving the mustang and late models as of late, and i find the solstice much, much easier to drive after driving the mustang. i was always shit at laguna in the solstice, then on my first practice session in it after racing the mustang for a while i beat my personal best lap by a long shot. My old best was a 1:50.4 then i come out and run a 1:48.7, i was shocked to say the least, so my advice is to drive the mustang for a while and then come back to the solstice.

Also, what are your guys names on iRacing? i would love to turn a few laps with u guys.

Haven't bought any cars as of now, kind of pointless until I stop being a rook

For anyone who wants to add me, Mariano Picco (and my forum username explained at last?) :D

Jebus... I just watched some guys run lime rock in 1.02s. They do perfect slides everywhere. I thought you weren't supposed to slide a car... makes it slow... back to school for me.
Can't do much either with these pedals and wheel. My best on lime rock is 1.05.5 and I'm still not sure how I did that.

I will never say Ovals aren't fun again..

In other news, I grew some balls and went racing :D

Came home P5... I sort of knocked a guy off the track right at the beginning and felt bad the whole race. I had to get towed, too. At least when it came about the business of getting lapped, I did move to the side and didn't take any of the leaders off ? la Hammond.

It was tremendous fun and the hardest thing I had to do for months. Thanks to everyone who introduced me to it
Still have a looong way to go.

Last edited:
Haha, that video is awesome. I found it quite funny when at first I only saw 1 or 2, but then over half the field! And also, the car that was creeping in last place who had plenty of time to witness it unfold and still partly does the same lol.

I've been working on my oval license recently, it's currently only a C. But i'm working on it lots. I've done 2 races with the trucks at Bristol. Possibly, the most fun races I've had. Cautions really add another element to it, and I really enjoyed it. At first I thought I'd try and go long stint, and then when I realised my tires were falling of, I was just praying for a caution. Finally one came along, but then I forgot that the pit lane closes and went in, and then had to go to the back of the field! Still, was enjoyable. I can't make the Bristol 200 tomorrow though :(

Ugh, this season is going to be a total throw away. No way I can be competitive driving 3 cars. But I need to run all 3 to get max credits! Why didn't I choose to get the DP? I forgot the Star Mazda only gave me 4 credits per season.

Though, my last race in it was kinda something. I managed a 4th place finish without qualifying and only being about mid-field in terms of best lap time. Mid Ohio seems to be a war of attrition.

:( My computer is dead and its gonna take me a few weeks to a month to save up for a new one...

ATI 5000 series vid cars
2.8 quad core
4gigs ram

:) Should be able to run on some decent graphics settings, no?

:( My computer is dead and its gonna take me a few weeks to a month to save up for a new one...

ATI 5000 series vid cars
2.8 quad core
4gigs ram

I got everything on max except the mirrors (but the virtual mirror on) and it's always on good FPS (>30)
System is an Athlon 4000+ (dual core@2.2 ghz), ATi 4890 and 2 gigs ram on Windows XP. Yours should fly through this and most modern games.

ATI 5000 series vid cars
2.8 quad core
4gigs ram

You will be gold. I have a 6000+ AMD 64 and 4 gbs of ram. I run at 60 fps, but I have 3 monitors, which is a bit of a hit. And I also run an ATI 5760 card.

So question I wonder is this:
I've run 2 SRF races this week. I scored 4th (got 39 pts), and 3rd in a hard field (got 88 pts). Should I race again. The 88pts put me in 5th in my division. If I go again and screw up, it will average out the 3rd race and my 88 pts, lowering me.. If I do better, unlikely, it will go up. I'd have to do better in a race where they competition isn't as high. Its a touch call. I may start a Skippy race. I tried some last night and I liked the Skippy.